Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

average weight loss with gastric plication

Hello,

I am new and I am very interested in this surgery. I was pretty set on the VSG and was going to be a self pay and then I heard of this procedure just days ago. So forgive me if I seem to have not done my homework , but I am actually just getting started:)

I know this and all WLS are tools and you have to do your part, but is weight loss similiar to VSG or is it much slower as some of the info I have read on a blog?

If any one has had this procedure and could share their weight loss, I would greatly appreciate it.

One other issue that scares me is throwing up, I know this sounds ridiculous but I am afraid if I have this or any WLS that I will throw up often or have what I have read as sliming?

Thank you so much and I am so happy to have found this forum, everyone seems so nice and it is such a comfort to someone trying to find their way to weight loss success.

I've not vomited, slimed or even felt nauseous. I'm 5 weeks and have been a slow loser thus far, but I had a really bad cough for a week so I had a lot of cough sweets and cough Syrup which stalled me. I'm now feeling well enough to exercise and the loss is starting to pick (2lbs since New Year).

The loss is meant to be similar to VSG and I'd be interested to hear from other GPSers! wink.gif

Hi and welcome!

You might want to read over some of the other posts as people who've had GPS sometimes put their stats in their signatures. You can also search for Cknorte's posts as she has a blog and posts her info as well on her signature. I believe she's lost about 60 lbs since July.

I haven't had plication yet but I do have a lapband and am also considering the sleeve but feel more comfortable with the plication. I've had lots and lots of vomiting and sliming with the band but haven't heard too much of this with the sleeve or plication.

Where r u thinking of having surgery?

Good luck to you!

genepha

Thank you for the welcome and the info. I am considering Dr. Watkins since I live only a few hours away from his practice (Cicinnati, Oh) but mainly because in just the last few days of learning of this procedure and the little time I have had a chance to reseach, he has rave reviews.

Best wishes on your journey and to good health!

Hi and welcome!

You might want to read over some of the other posts as people who've had GPS sometimes put their stats in their signatures. You can also search for Cknorte's posts as she has a blog and posts her info as well on her signature. I believe she's lost about 60 lbs since July.

I haven't had plication yet but I do have a lapband and am also considering the sleeve but feel more comfortable with the plication. I've had lots and lots of vomiting and sliming with the band but haven't heard too much of this with the sleeve or plication.

Where r u thinking of having surgery?

Good luck to you!

genepha

Thank you for your reply. I am new but I have gotten a chance to read a few of your post and you seem to have a great attitude and that along with a successful surgery...you will surely reach your goals!

I guess I am just scared. I am 45, a blessed mom of a 9 yr old boy and a 20 month old girl whom I both adore! And I know I need to better my health for the future of them since I am an "older" mom and I want to share as much of their life as time will allow and spend that time having an active lifestyle.

I justt hope my surgical experience will mimick yours in the case of no yucky stuff :)

Thanks again and best wishes sent your way.

I've not vomited, slimed or even felt nauseous. I'm 5 weeks and have been a slow loser thus far, but I had a really bad cough for a week so I had a lot of cough sweets and cough Syrup which stalled me. I'm now feeling well enough to exercise and the loss is starting to pick (2lbs since New Year).

The loss is meant to be similar to VSG and I'd be interested to hear from other GPSers! wink.gif

No worry of sliming or puking, at least in my experience. I feel great, at a little over a month since surgery. I did my share of puking and sliming with the band!

As for weight loss, I'm too early to say, but it is a tool, it depends on what you put into it.

You can't go wrong with Doc Watkins. He is great!

I love love love my surgery....I have lost 59lbs...I didn't make 60 before the end of the year....but hey, I lost a lb in Vegas....so I can't complain.....

My surgery was in July, in Mexico with Dr. Corvala....I also was set on VSG until I read about this procedure.....you can't go wrong with Dr. Watkins in the US or in Mexico I am a Corvala fan...

You can read my story, and see pictures on my blog, it's in my signature line....PM if you have any specific questions or if you just want to know more....

I am in the process of moving from California to Florida so I am on and off the boards, but will be around.....

I have never puked or slimed...I feel full without feeling "thanksgiving" full for the first time in my life, and with about a cup of food. I eat everything and drink everything...there are things I don't like anymore...scrambled eggs, diet coke, coke zero, or any carbonated bevy (I do have a beer or champagne on occasion)....I drink alcohol (vodka and crystal light) with a straw.....I have been on vacation, I go out to dinner, and I live a normal life....the difference is that now I eat like all my "skinny" friends...I leave stuff on my plate and don't feel guiilty...left overs are awesome and have been a $$ savings....my grocery bill is down....

It is a journey and you have to research....but if I am so glad I did this...down almost 60 I have about 40-50 to go....yay!~

I'm just about one week out from surgery. I'm down 6 lbs, that's probably the liquids but I'll take it! I haven't felt sick or thrown up. Today I'm moving up from liquids to mushies, but my post op instructions say most food is considered mushy if chewed well enough and taken in small bites. I am looking forward to eating regular food and since I haven't had any issues so far I'm optimistic that it will go very smoothly. lunch today is probably going to be mashed potatoes and maybe some cheese.

Karah

I was very afraid of puking or sliming that is why I avoided the band. None off that here. For me, it was easier than a coloscopy..and the worse part of that was drinking the gross stuff. Recovery was simple for GPS surgery and easy for me, and incessions are healing fabulously- very tiny.

I am disappointed that weight isnt flying off me. But I believe my own body is against me. I stuck religously to pre-op at only 800 or less calories a day of liquid protien and while others lost 10 lbs I only 4. So I think my body wants me to stay fat. I am now tracking everything I consume..hopefully the weight will go down. One thing is for sure, atleast I have a prayer of a chance with surgery - I'd do it again a heartbeat.

Hello,

I am new and I am very interested in this surgery. I was pretty set on the VSG and was going to be a self pay and then I heard of this procedure just days ago. So forgive me if I seem to have not done my homework , but I am actually just getting started:)

I know this and all WLS are tools and you have to do your part, but is weight loss similiar to VSG or is it much slower as some of the info I have read on a blog?

If any one has had this procedure and could share their weight loss, I would greatly appreciate it.

One other issue that scares me is throwing up, I know this sounds ridiculous but I am afraid if I have this or any WLS that I will throw up often or have what I have read as sliming?

Thank you so much and I am so happy to have found this forum, everyone seems so nice and it is such a comfort to someone trying to find their way to weight loss success.

Hi Tracy, I am down 42 pounds since August with 18 more to go. I have never thrown up. Joanie

I love mine! As you can see below I have already hit goal after only 5 months!!!! I have gone from my highest of size 20 to now I'm a 4/6. I think my super sleeve and the vsg control hunger the same. At least it does for me and the vsg stories I read.

I have gotten sick but once was from having two drinks and I got black out sick drunk. If you haven't been told with our new stomach we get drunk faster. Another time was when I ate too fast and too much. My stomach was already upset and couldnt handle it. But both have been in the last month. I have only gotten sick from testing the waters.

I had my gsp surgery done 1 month ago, love it and have lost 20lbs so far.....I like you was so afraid of vomiting...i think i have a phobia of vomiting...I have not vomited yet but I have eaten too much and too fast and had a moment where i had some stomach discomfort and alot of saliva in my mouth....I don't know if this is what they call sliming but It wasn't bad....and well it was my fault for eating to much and to fast. I eat whatever I want I just try to avoid bread...sugar..and for some reason Pasta doesn't sit well with me yet. I do go out to dinner just like cknorte said have alot of left overs. I would do this surgery over again in a heartbeat...for once in my life I know I can lose weight and keep it off...GOod LUck...

I

Thank you for the welcome and the info. I am considering Dr. Watkins since I live only a few hours away from his practice (Cicinnati, Oh) but mainly because in just the last few days of learning of this procedure and the little time I have had a chance to reseach, he has rave reviews.

Best wishes on your journey and to good health!

I just had GPS with Dr Watkins on Jan 19, 2011 and would have to say I am very impressed with my whole experience from the Office Staff to the Surgical Team.

I started Pre-OP diet on Jan 5, 2011 and I am down 22 Pnds so far. I am having a little discomfort in chest and shoulder nothing really to bad this is my first Post hope it helps.

I had GPS 3 weeks ago and have lost 15 pounds. Since starting the pre op diet 5 weeks ago I'm down a total of 29 pounds! I'm very happy with my results. The only trouble I'm having is getting in all my calories and Protein. I have been focusing on the protein lately and it seems to feel better. I haven't thrown up or experienced slimming. I also haven't come across any foods that aren't sitting well. Most everything it good as long as I eat slow and chew well. Good luck to all!