Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port Leaking.. No success with LB.. considering VSG or GPS

I had my AP Large Band placed 01|17|08 at 364lbs after losing 20 pounds on pre-op diet. My first 6 months after placement I was pretty miserable. I experienced several "attacks" that they had difficulty diagnosing. I had numerous tests done: upper GI, fill under fluoroscopy, cat scan, upper endoscopy, ultrasound, and several ER visits due to pain. I switched PCP's in order to get a HIDA scan. Finally determined it WAS my gallbladder and not my lap band. I had a cholecystectomy on 08|12|08 by Dr Monash (love him!) who agreed to take on my aftercare for my lap band.

I had several scares with a possible port leak and scheduled two separate port revisions that were both cancelled last minute after restriction miraculously would stick around.

Through everything I managed to lose an additional 80 pounds with my band. I got down to 284 then plateaued. My personal life got stressful and I mentally checked out on the weight loss and did nothing for a year. I had no restriction. Didn't want to "deal" with the fills and the "leak or no leak" drama. I stuck my head firmly in the sand.

I gained approx 50 pounds back slowly over the last year. I finally got my personal life back on track and pulled my head out of the sand and marched back to Dr Monash for a fill. I have never been more ready to get going.

Unfortunately the leak issue reared it's ugly head. Restriction was fleeting. After a few short bouts of avoidance by me... we finally tested my band and it was determined that I do indeed have a leak. I lost approx 1cc of Fluid in a week. I am positive this leak has been around since the fall of 2008.

I am fed up with the band. I do not want to pay $2,700 for a port revision. I want it OUT. I am self pay and really don't know WHAT to do at this point. Dr M has mentioned a revision to a Sleeve Gastrectomy... which I would do in a heartbeat... if it weren't for the fact that I am SELF PAY and cannot afford $21,000.

I have been researching the VSG... and just discovered Gastric Plication Surgery (GPS). So now I am comparing the two. That is where I am at now.

If anyone can offer advise, support, similar story/situation.... please please send me a msg. Post. Anything. I am really so ready to give up at this point. I would cut the damn band out of my stomach myself if I could. I am sick of chest pain, burping, heartburn, hiccups, etc. I am sick of avoiding lettuce and similar healthy foods because I am afraid of getting stuck.

I'm nearly 4 weeks out from having a plication and I think it's great. I'm amazed that this past week I managed to lose 2.5 lbs even though I've been drinking cough Syrup and having cough sweets like they're going out of fashion!! I've not been able to workout yet as I've been ill with a really bad cough so am pretty happy with my loss so far.

I was also self pay and I had Dr Lopez Corvala at Angeles Health in Tijuana. I paid $8,000. I think GPS is a great surgery thus far... I'd say I feel 'normal' - I just get full very quickly. I was going to for the band but the maintenance/slippage/erosion thing put me off.

Whatever you decide I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing what you decide.

I had my AP Large Band placed 01|17|08 at 364lbs after losing 20 pounds on pre-op diet. My first 6 months after placement I was pretty miserable. I experienced several "attacks" that they had difficulty diagnosing. I had numerous tests done: upper GI, fill under fluoroscopy, cat scan, upper endoscopy, ultrasound, and several ER visits due to pain. I switched PCP's in order to get a HIDA scan. Finally determined it WAS my gallbladder and not my lap band. I had a cholecystectomy on 08|12|08 by Dr Monash (love him!) who agreed to take on my aftercare for my lap band.

I had several scares with a possible port leak and scheduled two separate port revisions that were both cancelled last minute after restriction miraculously would stick around.

Through everything I managed to lose an additional 80 pounds with my band. I got down to 284 then plateaued. My personal life got stressful and I mentally checked out on the weight loss and did nothing for a year. I had no restriction. Didn't want to "deal" with the fills and the "leak or no leak" drama. I stuck my head firmly in the sand.

I gained approx 50 pounds back slowly over the last year. I finally got my personal life back on track and pulled my head out of the sand and marched back to Dr Monash for a fill. I have never been more ready to get going.

Unfortunately the leak issue reared it's ugly head. Restriction was fleeting. After a few short bouts of avoidance by me... we finally tested my band and it was determined that I do indeed have a leak. I lost approx 1cc of Fluid in a week. I am positive this leak has been around since the fall of 2008.

I am fed up with the band. I do not want to pay $2,700 for a port revision. I want it OUT. I am self pay and really don't know WHAT to do at this point. Dr M has mentioned a revision to a Sleeve Gastrectomy... which I would do in a heartbeat... if it weren't for the fact that I am SELF PAY and cannot afford $21,000.

I have been researching the VSG... and just discovered Gastric Plication Surgery (GPS). So now I am comparing the two. That is where I am at now.

If anyone can offer advise, support, similar story/situation.... please please send me a msg. Post. Anything. I am really so ready to give up at this point. I would cut the damn band out of my stomach myself if I could. I am sick of chest pain, burping, heartburn, hiccups, etc. I am sick of avoiding lettuce and similar healthy foods because I am afraid of getting stuck.

I am replying to port leaking no success with LP,dont give up this is your life your talking about!!!!My dr is DR Keshishian and his number is 8188127222 you should talk with him see if he can work with you. I have faith with him, out of all the docters that Iv talk with he gave it to me the way it was for real.anyway I did the V/s om the 23rd there was little to no pain and IM home on 24th. I will cont to post my process so you can see the the pros and cons, but so far Im happy no ajustments I will go to the docters office for reg check ups and a draigage removed.And it may be alot of money but its alsao exspenive to do all the ajustments wiyh the L/P think about it but dont give up cotiue the figth its well worth it.YOUR WORTH IT!!!! I hope god will give you the means to contiue and I will pray for you.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Today marks 5 days post op for me.. and I'm so thankful I made this decision <3

I can only share my experience on the band to sleeve revision. I honestly love the sleeve, and wouldn't change a single thing about my journey.

The sleeve has given me the immediate Portion Control, permanent solution to my overeating. I didn't want to have a 3rd surgery so I chose the sleeve.

I have zero food or medication restrictions, no fills/unfills, never hungry, and I live a very normal life.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to shoot me a message. You can also add me as a friend, and check out my blog. I have tons of research links on the sleeve including some dietary guidelines, and 5 yr results.

When choosing my revision, I kept the mindset of "think twice, cut once". I didn't want to have to worry about another surgery in the future, or one that didn't have proven results that would get me goal. I had a lot of weight to lose, and wanted to lose it without worrying about another revision.

Best wishes in your research !!!

Hi there and welcome!

Your story is so much like mine. I had lost 70 pounds at one point with the band. Then I developed a leak and I was self pay so I was stuck. I couldn't afford to do anything about it so I just lived with a broken band and gained thirty five pounds back. This past September, I started having extreme pain that turned about after a visit to the ER to be broken band tubing and a slip. I am now revising to the sleeve. I totally understand your pain and frustration. It is so hard to pay for the band and then have it fail you. Just know it is NOT your fault. They gave us this picture perfect representation of the band and when it doesn't work or breaks, no one seems to be accountable. Hang in there and I will be happy to let you know more about the sleeve after my surgery. Don't give up!!!

Thanks everyone for the responses. This website is a wealth of information. I have been busy busy reading reading.

Becca: I am concerned I may be dealing with a possible slip or erosion right now. Since I have been going back for fills the past month, I have been having lots of pain and vomiting. In the past few days it has gotten worse. I cannot keep anything down but liquids. I couldn't even keep mushies down. Tonight I vommitted up thick liquid and it caused a nose bleed. :(

I feel a weird pressure/tightness in my throat... and a burning sensation in my stomach.

I plan on calling my Dr first thing tomorrow to discuss my new symptoms. I didn't want to bother him over the holiday... so I have been sticking to broth best I can.

Please get to the nearest hospital that has a BARIATRIC doctor. You could have a full slip. Be safe and take care of yourself.

Please get to the nearest hospital that has a BARIATRIC doctor. You could have a full slip. Be safe and take care of yourself.

Sorry I didn't update!! I saw my surgeon on 12/28 and he did a complete unfill of my band. I had an upper GI done on the 31st and am just waiting on results.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is the GPS the same thing as the sleeve with plication?

Hi formerVBG. GPS is plication. With the sleeve they they cut away 80% of your stomach. With the plication they fold it in on itself so no risk of staple line leak. See here for a diagram

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is the GPS the same thing as the sleeve with plication?

Thanks everyone for the responses. This website is a wealth of information. I have been busy busy reading reading.

Becca: I am concerned I may be dealing with a possible slip or erosion right now. Since I have been going back for fills the past month, I have been having lots of pain and vomiting. In the past few days it has gotten worse. I cannot keep anything down but liquids. I couldn't even keep mushies down. Tonight I vommitted up thick liquid and it caused a nose bleed. :(

I feel a weird pressure/tightness in my throat... and a burning sensation in my stomach.

I plan on calling my Dr first thing tomorrow to discuss my new symptoms. I didn't want to bother him over the holiday... so I have been sticking to broth best I can.

I am so sorry! You do need to get to your doctor. Just know that if it is a big slip, they will have operate pretty quickly to take out the band. My slip was small and so I was able to wait until my revision. Let us know what happens and you can contact me anytime if you need anything.

@adorkbl--I am a Houston sleeve surgeon, and I run into your problem often. I have been able to partner with a great hospital and can do a lap-band to sleeve revision for $12,900, if it has not slipped.

If you lap band has slipped then I recommend you have the surgery in two steps: first step to remove the band and let the inflammation go down, then step 2 do sleeve 6 months later.

If it has not slipped, then the revision surgery can be done in one step.

But revision surgery is serious, so please get a lot of information before deciding something.

Best of Luck,

Dr. V