Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

confused...needing some advise please

shaundra
Sign in to follow this  

i am struggling with choosing between happiness within myself and financial problems.

heres my story...ths short version

i have had the lapband for a little over 4 years, i painfully got to my goal weight before my band slipped. i gained back 50 lbs and had my band repositioned. well its been 2 months and i havent lost a single pound. i know in my heart i made the wrong choice by having my band fixed instead of getting the sleeve. so now i have chosen a doctor and have started saving money and will have the rest of it in 2 months. heres the problem, im a full time student and money is tight. if i choose to do the surgery i will be broke when i come home. i know most people will say i should wait but i havent been this depressed in years. i need to have this surgery and get back to my goal weight, i never leave the house anymore and i have completly stopped talking to everyone in my life. i am always tired and have NO energy to even play with my daughter. honestly, i have no interest in anything anymore except being in bed. my question is, would you go through with having the surgery even if it was a bad financial decision?

thanks for listening, shaundra

:(

i am struggling with choosing between happiness within myself and financial problems.

i have had the lapband for a little over 4 years, i painfully got to my goal weight before my band slipped. i gained back 50 lbs and had my band repositioned. well its been 2 months and i havent lost a single pound. i know in my heart i made the wrong choice by having my band fixed instead of getting the sleeve. so now i have chosen a doctor and have started saving money and will have the rest of it in 2 months. heres the problem, im a full time student and money is tight. if i choose to do the surgery i will be broke when i come home. i know most people will say i should wait but i havent been this depressed in years. i need to have this surgery and get back to my goal weight, i never leave the house anymore and i have completly stopped talking to everyone in my life. i am always tired and have NO energy to even play with my daughter. honestly, i have no interest in anything anymore except being in bed. my question is, would you go through with having the surgery even if it was a bad financial decision?

You are in a tough situation. I believe you have to decide if being deeply in debt will be as depressing as carrying around the extra weight. If you are not losing weight, there must be a reason. Are you sure you have enough restriction? Are you getting exercise?

Personally I would deal with one thing at a time so you are not overwhelmed. Your education is very important. I say focus on that now. Once you are out of school and have a job you will be able to devote money to having surgery. Perhaps in that time your stall will right itself and you will at least lose some weight.

Best of everything to you. Hang on, it will get better.

Hello Shaundra,

I'm sorry that your depressed I struggle with depression and I completly understand the not having energy to play your daughter. Maybe you should save your money and go see a therapist the specializes in depression caused by weight issues. Then when you feel better about live and yourself have your revision surgery (hopfully this will also give you more time to save more money) My husband and I struggled after my surgery with finances and it was not fun at all and caused me to become more depressed about my decision to have my sleeve. We are still struggling but I will be returing to work soon and the money will not be and issue, all I can say is struggling with your finances after this type of surgery for me took away the joy of my weightloss.

I hope this helps you with your decision and if your reglious may I suggest you pray or talk to your minister.

Take Care

I completely understand your situation and I was in a similar place as you are now. I had the operation with money that we didn't have, are paying off the credit card now. I don't regret it at all, I was like you depressedabout my weight. Having spent so much money on diet pills, personal trainers, dietitians,I even had a gastric balloon inserted a few years ago. I just regret not having had this operation before! We are tight on money now, but I love my sleeve and have no regrets whatsoever. I feel much happier, have more energy, and even though we are tight on money I feel at last at peace with myself because I know it was the right choice for me (and I haven't even reached goal yet!) Hope this helps and good luck in the desicion you make :)

The feelings you describe are indicative of serious depression, please think about seeing someone to addresss it. Often it can seem that one miracle like weight loss will make us feel better when in reality depression is usually more complicated. Good luck