Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band to Plication - What was your experience?

Starr
Sign in to follow this  

Hi! I am glad to be here with you other VSP's!!!

Those of you that revised from Band to Plication what was your experience like? What should I expect or need to know?

How is restriction with the plication compared to restriction with the Lap Band?

Do you feel your stomach?

How long did you need off from work?

Are liquids hard?

Do regret this surgery?

And any other comments or information is greatly welcome

Thanks!

Starr

My Plication is 12/20/10

I've not had the band but there's a person here on youtube talking about her band to plication

If you really need to get back, a week off might be OK - it depends how physical your job is and if you have much of a drive to get there.

After about 3 or 4 days liquids were pretty easy - can get down 8oz OK.

I'm only just going on to mushys and I had a couple of mouthfuls of mashed potato and wow was I full.

I'm very happy with this surgery and with my limited experience would recommend it.

Well, I don't have a lot of time under my "belt" , I just had band removed and plication done on Dec 1. I hope that what I've experienced so far will continue. I'm still on soft/mushie foods, but the full feeling is way more "normal". With the band, I didn't actually feel full, I just felt more clogged. Now I can eat about 3/4 of an egg, or about 2 T of mashed potato and I feel "full" very content. I found the recovery to be a little different from when I was banded. I had less pain, less nausea, but I get some odd stomach cramps now, I'm assuming thats because I am still healing in there. I have found that my stomach hates to be empty. If I throw a little something in there every 2-3 hours, and keep drinking Water, I'm fine, but if I get busy, or forget, or overnight, I get the cramps, it just feels like bad hunger, but yet, just stomach hunger, not appetite, if that makes sense. It will even wake me up at times. As far as time off of work, I was under for a lot longer with this surgery, not sure if that has anything to do with it, but it took me several days to feel like myself again. I just was foggy, and felt drugged up, even tho i hadn't taken anything since the day after surgery. I went back to work in less than a week, but really wasn't feeling up to it until 1 week post op. Now at 10 days post op, I can say I am 90% back to myself, I do tend to get tired a little more often, and I have those stomach cramps when I don't eat , well after the babble, lets see if i answered any of your questions :)

How is restriction with the plication compared to restriction with the Lap Band? Its soooo much better, its early, but so far, I love this feeling of restriction! I have never felt stuck, or plugged, or like i need to hurl

Do you feel your stomach? Yeah, it all feels normal, just can't eat hardly anything

How long did you need off from work? 1 week

Are liquids hard? Nope, I just can't gulp yet, that makes me too full, but liquids worked find from the beginning

Do regret this surgery? hell no, if it continues to be like this, I will be THRILLED!

Good luck, keep posting, we need some action on this board!

Karen

I've not had the band but there's a person here on youtube talking about her band to plication

If you really need to get back, a week off might be OK - it depends how physical your job is and if you have much of a drive to get there.

After about 3 or 4 days liquids were pretty easy - can get down 8oz OK.

I'm only just going on to mushys and I had a couple of mouthfuls of mashed potato and wow was I full.

I'm very happy with this surgery and with my limited experience would recommend it.

Hey thanks for the response. Good to know that liquids are going down pretty easy :).

Blessings,

Starr

Well, I don't have a lot of time under my "belt" , I just had band removed and plication done on Dec 1. I hope that what I've experienced so far will continue. I'm still on soft/mushie foods, but the full feeling is way more "normal". With the band, I didn't actually feel full, I just felt more clogged. Now I can eat about 3/4 of an egg, or about 2 T of mashed potato and I feel "full" very content. I found the recovery to be a little different from when I was banded. I had less pain, less nausea, but I get some odd stomach cramps now, I'm assuming thats because I am still healing in there. I have found that my stomach hates to be empty. If I throw a little something in there every 2-3 hours, and keep drinking Water, I'm fine, but if I get busy, or forget, or overnight, I get the cramps, it just feels like bad hunger, but yet, just stomach hunger, not appetite, if that makes sense. It will even wake me up at times. As far as time off of work, I was under for a lot longer with this surgery, not sure if that has anything to do with it, but it took me several days to feel like myself again. I just was foggy, and felt drugged up, even tho i hadn't taken anything since the day after surgery. I went back to work in less than a week, but really wasn't feeling up to it until 1 week post op. Now at 10 days post op, I can say I am 90% back to myself, I do tend to get tired a little more often, and I have those stomach cramps when I don't eat , well after the babble, lets see if i answered any of your questions :)

How is restriction with the plication compared to restriction with the Lap Band? Its soooo much better, its early, but so far, I love this feeling of restriction! I have never felt stuck, or plugged, or like i need to hurl

Do you feel your stomach? Yeah, it all feels normal, just can't eat hardly anything

How long did you need off from work? 1 week

Are liquids hard? Nope, I just can't gulp yet, that makes me too full, but liquids worked find from the beginning

Do regret this surgery? hell no, if it continues to be like this, I will be THRILLED!

Good luck, keep posting, we need some action on this board!

Karen

OMG Karen, it makes me so excited to read about your experience so far. I am hoping that my experience mirrors yours.

Thank you so very much! Lets please keep in touch.

Best,

Starr