Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was your doc onboard for the band?

My cardiologist was the first one to mention LapBand to me....however, when I went to my PCP to start the process and ask for a letter, he acted somewhat interested....then when I got the letter it said he would not recommend me, I needed to try WeightWatchers.

We moved shortly thereafter, got a new PCP; he didn't seem at all interested (I realized later it was lack of knowledge) and made some comment about mortality rate of gastric bypass in men, etc. I proceeded on my own, went to cardiology clinic doing preops for Lapband, got my own surgeon, etc.

When I went back to see PCP a few months later he was very interested in what I had done, had apparently done some research, and is now being very supportive. I've taken him literature, his nurse has asked lots of good questions, etc. We don't have many options for PCP's out here on the rural route, so I decided I'd just have to train him up the way I want him!!

From what I've read Lapband Surgery is not as common in the USA as it is in Australia and Europe.

Here in Australia it is the "preferred" form of WLS and has been for many years. I'm sure in a few years when the lapband procedure becomes more common in the USA it will be considered more acceptable.

I'm not banded yet...but I had all different opinions....my PCP said he had quite a few patients with the band and said they were quite successful; my ob/gyne said she does not believe in WLS surgery, just eat healthy (easy for her to say); and my rheumatologist said she knew two patients who had it done (one was over 60 years of age) and she is extremely supportive but said it had to be my decision. So I think everyone is right - when doctors are informed about the band they support it. If they aren't informed - share the info with them!

When I went to my doctor and asked about Lapband, he supported the idea and gave me the name of a good doctor. He told me he would do anything to help me get approval and that I was a good candidate for the WLS. I am not banded yet, so it will be awhile before we see results.

Gracie

My PCP was dead against it. In fact, she had put me on meridia in January and insisted that was all I needed. Never mind that the meridia made by heart race, I was nauseus and lightheaded all the time and generally felt miserable the whole time I was on it. She is firmly against any type of WLS. Needless to say, I am looking for a new PCP because I want one who supports me rather than is against me. However, my OBGYN is very supportive of the lapband.

This is a very interesting question! I know that lapbanding surgery started earlier in Europe and more recently in the U.S. but even so it is amazing how so many doctors here (in Europe) don't have much knowledge about it or think of other restrictive bariatric surgeries when talking about adjustable lapband. I know LOTS of doctors who hardly knew about it or had negative opinions about the band just because they didn't have enough knowledge or detailed data about the subject. :rolleyes

I keep reading and researching about it (I've been banded for a year and half) and I think it's really important for us to learn as much as possible about our band. I fully trust my doctor on all technical matters and I know he'll be the first to call should I ever have a problem, but even so, there's a lot of relevant info we can learn from places such as LBT and that most surely I will never have the opportunity or the need to discuss with my doctor.

niki

I knew I wanted the band when I chose my PCP, so I actually called her and talked to her before coming in for my physical. On the phone, she confirmed she wasn't anti-WLS globally but that she would have to see me before telling me whether she supported my candidacy. Fair enough. So I went to see her and she was GREAT. Very understanding that obesity is a disease and that I'd already tried and failed at traditional diets. She wrote a great letter and my surgery was approved in 4 days. I'm her first lap band patient and despite our new Dr. patient relationship, she even called to check on me the day after my surgery.

For me, pre-band in my research phase, I was far more scared of the physical than the surgery itself. She really eased my fears and I just think she's the best!

Well, recently my female obese and middle aged doctor, WHO I JUST LOVED, retired. The man who bought her practise LOOKS 12! No kidding. His wife took me on as a patient and she looks mabye 20 something AND IS SKINNY AS A POLE.

My first visit was last week and I had to tell her that I was referred for lapband surgery. I was so embarrassed to tell her, I had butterflies. I told her that previous doctor had referred me for lapband surgery and that unless she had some magic advice that I was going to go ahead with it. I was actually very pleasantly surprised that she fully supported me. I was so relieved. Dont' know why I was so nervous except to have been given a reaction like some of you got.

IF MERIDIA, OR WW, OR SOME OTHER GIMMICK WORKED, THERE WOULD BE NO FAT PEOPLE!!!!!

I am very lucky to feel support from my doctor, I hope you all find some strength in your decision, even if your primary care doctor doesn't.

Lat night I saw a programme on TV and there was a segment about a "stomach balloon".

Apparently it is very successfull ad becoming very popular in parts of Europe for weightloss.

An Italian doctor placed a balloon inside an obese woman's stomach and then inflated it, therefore allowing just a small area for food.< /p>

The patient had a "twilight" anaesthetic and the procedure took 15 minutes . There was no invasive surgery, just a gastro tube to feed the balloon into her stomach.

Then when she loses the weight after 12months of maintaining her weightloss she goes back in and has the balloon removed.

It looked great.....no surgery and in and out in a lunch break.

I was the second patient my PCP had that had lap band. He has several that have had gastric. He was not supportive of gastric for me, but the band he backed 100%. Enough so that he had his wife speak to me about it, he is afraid for her, with her family history, of diabetes. He said he would support her doing it. It just so happens my DD has become his nurse in the last few months, and he asks her often how I am doing. He is impressed because I have not had Metformin, or either of my hight blood pressure meds, HCTZ, and Lisinopril, since the day of surgery. My blood sugar has remained steady,( I was on it preventitively, had not been catagorized as Diabetic yet ). My BP has averaged out to 118/69. It had not been unusual for my diastolic number to be a triple digit! I have now lost about 28 pounds...but now I have hope, so I have been finally getting active! It has been a great experience, and I am so glad my Dr. supported me!!

Kat

My PCP actually offered to write me a prescription for an anti-depressant when I told her I was consulting a surgeon about the band..... I actually laughed and told her I would stick with the band....I'd rather be thin and happy than fat and happy.

My PCP actually offered to write me a prescription for an anti-depressant when I told her I was consulting a surgeon about the band..... I actually laughed and told her I would stick with the band....I'd rather be thin and happy than fat and happy.

Good decision. My doc and I decided together that I'd try an antidepressant for both handing a loss and keeping control of my weight. I have now gained 45 pounds in one year and I swear that little pill helped put it there.