Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was your doc onboard for the band?

I took my dd in for her 6-year well check today. We all see the same doc, and while I was there I mentioned I was getting the lap band put in in August. She said she wasn't too happy with it. She does not like any type of weight loss surgery, but did admit that the band was the least problematic of all the options. Honestly, I was surprised when she said she wasn't happy about it. She'd actually suggested I look into bypass about 3 years ago when I first started WW. Now it seems she has changed her tune. :) She did say that the surgeon I was using was excellent though, which made me feel better.

I'm not sure why I'm bothered by the fact that she isn't thrilled about it, but I am. She'd like me to just keep doing weight watchers. Yeah, tried that, lost 70, had my gallbladder out and proceeded to lose nothing for the next year even though I was religiously following the program. And now I've gained 1/2 of that weight back. So, nope, not going to keep on the WW bandwagon, but thanks for asking! :heh:

So was your doc supportive when you told them you were getting banded?

Mine isn't thrilled with it, but like yours supports the band more then any other surgery. He's also not thrilled with my weight and what problems I am facing if I don't do something. He knows I've tried many things over the years.

I went to my PCP for a check-up before I scheduled my band surgery. I told her what I was considering, and her comment was, "I know one person who had that and the band came unclipped, she had the band taken out and had the RNY done. Why don't you just do the RNY?"

Conclusions: 1) my PCP doesn't know as much as I do about the band, and 2) I'm fat enough to medically justify the RNY.

I was mentally prepared for her to know little or nothing about the band, but was surprised, as I got in my car to leave, at how surprised! I was that I was a candidate for RNY in her eyes. I knew I was fat...still! It was good to hear it, though. I felt lots better about my decision to have WLS. I just knew the band was the choice for me.

So a few months ago, I went in for my check-up and I had lost about 30 pounds at the time (according to her charts) and she almost fell off her chair with praise! She's glad I'm having a good band experience, and is pleased with my progress. Plus, my blood pressure is now normal, excellent!

So, I guess I showed her?! Hell, yeah, I did! (okay, so I don't swear often...but HELL YEAH!)

Another thought, WW is wonderful while banded. You can actually DO it...week after week after month. And the weight stays off, too. Don't write off WW, it's a great program, just get you the help you need (a band) to make a long-term success of it.

Having your doc's support is great, but it isn't required. Hang in there. Do your research, be prepared, have peace, and you'll do great!

My PCP had never heard of the band, and was very much on the fence about bariatric surgery for me in any event. I wasn't "sick" and all she knew about was RNY, so she didn't feel it was justified in my case.

When I showed her the booklet from Inamed and she did a little reading up on it she was a lot less ambivalent. Since then she's been very interested in my experience and has recommended it to others.

My PCP was 100% on board however, cautioned me to think about it to make sure I was aware of the risks. He encouraged research and gave me several surgeon names to consider and contact.

Both my PCP and my OB/GYN were VERY supportive. Both of them actually thought that it was a great idea for me and the best choice of surgery...

Now if I could just start to lose weight I could prove them right!!!!!

My PCP was/is very supportive of my decision. He would have been okay with RNY, too. He views WLS as less dangerous than a lifetime of morbid obesity.

And I might add that he is delighted with my success. He thinks I should "quit" right now and not try and lose any more weight. I told him that I'm good with what I've lost so far, but 10 more pounds would make me even happier.

Like Kathi, both my PCP and OB/GYN were extremely supportive of my decision. They have seen me since the surgery and are very pleased with the results thus far.

My PCP was very approving - especially after reviewing my file, and once he realized how much research I had done. He is also tired of trying to control my blood sugars. :biggrin1:

I think the relationship between patient and PCP is extremely important. I think I changed doctors 3 times before I got one who a) actually listened, and :) at least acted like they gave a damn. But, that's Group Health for you. :tired

At first my doctor wasn't supportive. She made a comment that "it really takes dedication to follow all of the rules". Like, hint, hint...I don't think you can do it. Well, it ticked me off. How would she know? I really felt like it was a blow off. Then at my next visit she mentioned that she had attended a seminar on the lap band and thought that it sounded like a very positive surgery. She encouraged me to call and I admitted that I already had been looking into it. I figured I was going to do it whether she liked it or not. Any way, after she changed her tune at that appointment I cam home and called! That was in February of this year and 70 pounds later! I take the advice of those I trust but this particular issue is MINE and I'm doing what's right for me...for once!

My kidney doctor said no to weight loss surgery but I pursued it anyway. Now he is totally onboard. You have to take hold of your own health and can't let the physicians make all the decisions for you!!!

My PCP tried to talk me out of any WLS. Under Kaiser they only do RNY (or did, I hear they are starting to do bands). She didn't know about a band and I'm still the only person she knows with one. She was unhappy I went outside of Kaiser to get it done, but is thrilled with my weight loss.

Tho I just had my one year check up and she said "so don't you think it's time to take it out? I mean, haven't you learned to eat right in a year?" I just laughed and said "no...it's intended to stay in. Thanks though!"

:)

My Pcp was not to happy about it but she is the type of doc that listens to her patc. She was excited about my hubby having the surgery due to all his medical problem. But she was all for writing my letter of recomendation, so now I can't wait to go back and to have lost weight... I plan on doing WW again with the band I love the diet and it is something I think I can stick to.

My doctor was very supportive and excited for me. He is very much against bypass. He doesn't think the risk is worth it, but when I told him I was going to get the band, he was very happy with it. I'm his second band patient and the first had hers removed. He's very interested in following my progress.

My nurse practitioner was very supportive. She said she didn't recommend WLS to her patients but if they come to her with the idea, she was glad to help them however she could. She was excited for me to be doing something positive about my weight. I haven't had to go back to her for anything but am sure that when I do, she'll be thrilled.

My sister had band surgery May 3, and her PCP didn't know anything about it at all. We got a bunch of statistics online and gave him the Inamed booklet we got from our surgeon...he is very pleased with her progress 6 weeks out and is willing to suggest it to others who might benefit.

Emily