Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

travel and timing of surgery?

I've been contemplating WLS for about a month and a half seriously, and today, after looking at all of my digital fotos over the last 8 years or so, it became clear that I was losing the yo-yo battle. Since childhood, I had weight issues, but sports and vigorous field expeditions as a scientist kept the weight largely in check. For whatever reason, I started gaining tons of weight during my wife's pregnancy and since the birth of my daughter (3 1/4 years ago) I've steadily gained and gained weight. I weigh 290 now and I wrestled in college 15 years ago at 190, so I figure that I have about 90 lbs. to lose. I'm a 36 year old guy. I've decided to get a VSG.

I live in Panama, where Dr. Chitrit has done a ton of these procedures, including several prominent Panamanians. I saw him a little over a month ago, and since I'm self pay, I can basically pick my surgery date. I've been lurking on this board ever since. I appreciate all of your posts.

So, here's my issue. I am a field biologist here, and our heavy season is mid-December until March. This is summer here, when it rains less, and everyone wants to go to the beach, etc. Is it realistic to try to get surgery in 2 - 3 weeks?

And then be out in the field in another 4 weeks?

December has trips to family friendly sites, and it will basically be cabin camping with just light walking, but long days. By late January, there will be some fairly strenuous jungle expeditions with considerably hiking. Since I'm the boss, I don't have to go on all the planned trips, but these two in December and late January I have to go on.

I shudder at waiting until March to do this, but I'd like to hear the opinions of folks that have been down this road.

Since my wife is pregnant, and not doing well, I want to have my folks down here, just to help out with our daughter, etc. Will one week be enough? How soon can I expect to be back on my feet? We don't have any family here in Panama, so I want to make sure that I have enough of a support network.

I thank you all in advance for your help.

I have not had the surgery yet. But I have heard from some that they were ready to get back to work within 1 week and others needed longer. I guess it is up to the way you heal and overcome the gas that is pumped into your abdomen. I can not say but maybe others that have had the surgery will be able to let you know what to somewhat expect.

Lily

It's all going to depend on how you heal and tolerate surgery. If you've had a major surgery in the past and recovered well, you might expect to do the same.

I'd had several other surgeries, including laparoscopic ones, so I was pretty sure I knew what to expect. It was slightly worse than I anticipated. I spent 3 nights in the hospital so I did the majority of my recuperating there, with nurses to help me out. I then flew almost six thousand miles back to Germany and within a day of landing was chasing my two year old twins around. The day after I returned from surgery (day five) I spent the day doing light hiking, playing games with the family and picnicking - it was a bit soon for me. I did well but by the end of the day I needed a pain pill and lots of sleep.

I was sore and uncomfortable for most of the day for three days after my surgery, and I spent these days in the hospital. Then I was sore and uncomfortable only at night and when I overexerted myself for another two or three days. I only used pain pills for five days, so I know I was feeling much better by day six. Within one week I was almost back to normal. I still tired fairly easily for about ten days post op, mostly because it's difficult to consume enough calories and Protein immediately post op.

I'm sure you'll be able to lend a hand around the house with your wife not feeling well, even just a few days post op. I think the light hikes and cabin camping should be a breeze, and by the longer and more strenuous trip you'll be farther out and better able to tolerate the activity. Get your VSG done as soon as you can if you can't avoid the January date, because you want as much healing time as possible by then, just in case you have a harder recovery than you expect.

Good luck, and keep us posted once you decide when you'll have your surgery.

~Cheri

Cheri:

Thanks for the super helpful advice. It made sense.....until yesterday.....

I'll post a new post to fish for more advice...

But I'll probably write you privately for even more.

Matt

It's all going to depend on how you heal and tolerate surgery. If you've had a major surgery in the past and recovered well, you might expect to do the same.

I'd had several other surgeries, including laparoscopic ones, so I was pretty sure I knew what to expect. It was slightly worse than I anticipated. I spent 3 nights in the hospital so I did the majority of my recuperating there, with nurses to help me out. I then flew almost six thousand miles back to Germany and within a day of landing was chasing my two year old twins around. The day after I returned from surgery (day five) I spent the day doing light hiking, playing games with the family and picnicking - it was a bit soon for me. I did well but by the end of the day I needed a pain pill and lots of sleep.

I was sore and uncomfortable for most of the day for three days after my surgery, and I spent these days in the hospital. Then I was sore and uncomfortable only at night and when I overexerted myself for another two or three days. I only used pain pills for five days, so I know I was feeling much better by day six. Within one week I was almost back to normal. I still tired fairly easily for about ten days post op, mostly because it's difficult to consume enough calories and Protein immediately post op.

I'm sure you'll be able to lend a hand around the house with your wife not feeling well, even just a few days post op. I think the light hikes and cabin camping should be a breeze, and by the longer and more strenuous trip you'll be farther out and better able to tolerate the activity. Get your VSG done as soon as you can if you can't avoid the January date, because you want as much healing time as possible by then, just in case you have a harder recovery than you expect.

Good luck, and keep us posted once you decide when you'll have your surgery.

~Cheri