Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

wt gain after the sleeve?

I WAS TOLD THE STATS AFTER RNY IS 75% WHO GAIN THEIR WT BACK....I COULNT BELIEVE IT! IF THIS IS TRUE AND I DO KNOW SOME BYPASS PEOPLE DO GAIN WT BACK, WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO US SLEEVERS? WE DONT HAVE MALABSORPTION OR DUMPING SYNDROME, SO WILL WE HAVE INIATIAL LOSS'S WITH REGAIN? DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE STATS ARE, OR IS IT TOO SOON. I AM DUE TO BE SLEEVED AFTER A FAILED BAND X2 AND AM REALLY CONCERNED ABOUT THIS....MAYBE IM CRAZY, I DONT KNOW...LOL

Studies that are out for the sleeve show a 10-15% weight regain after 3-5 years. A lot of this goes back to eating slider foods, and mindless eating. I can gain weight by eating carbs and junk food, but I can turn around and drop 5-7lbs in a week just by eating my Protein first and eliminating junk food and soda. I bounce between 122-125lbs on any given day. I've gotten up to 128lbs this last month, but it was my ovulation week and I was carb loading and not really eating like I normally eat. Plus, all the damn Halloween candy is laying around at every fricken function I attend, and I eat a couple of pieces here and there. The sleeve nor RNY are cure-alls, they both require behavioral changes, and a true commitment to lifetime changes. Not any of the surgeries are bulletproof, it's all on us to determine how successful we will be long term.

Malabsorption of calories/fats with RNY only lasts 2 years, and the true stats on RNY I believe are around 30-40% of patients see a weight regain while others are able to maintain their weight loss because they stick to the rules. That 75% of their weight was based on my friends that have gained back their weight.

Studies that are out for the sleeve show a 10-15% weight regain after 3-5 years. A lot of this goes back to eating slider foods, and mindless eating. I can gain weight by eating carbs and junk food, but I can turn around and drop 5-7lbs in a week just by eating my Protein first and eliminating junk food and soda. I bounce between 122-125lbs on any given day. I've gotten up to 128lbs this last month, but it was my ovulation week and I was carb loading and not really eating like I normally eat. Plus, all the damn Halloween candy is laying around at every fricken function I attend, and I eat a couple of pieces here and there. The sleeve nor RNY are cure-alls, they both require behavioral changes, and a true commitment to lifetime changes. Not any of the surgeries are bulletproof, it's all on us to determine how successful we will be long term.

Malabsorption of calories/fats with RNY only lasts 2 years, and the true stats on RNY I believe are around 30-40% of patients see a weight regain while others are able to maintain their weight loss because they stick to the rules. That 75% of their weight was based on my friends that have gained back their weight.

so tiff, i dont know what i would do without you..lol, so why dont i just work the band harder? is the difference from band to sleeve alot. like will i not be hungry all the time, because i am now. i also cant stand the stuck feeling anymore, so i drink sips after meals just to get some relief. but i wont be able to wash it thru the sleeve, right. and slider foods, how can they slide when its in your stomach? am i stupid or what, i just dont understand.

:(

so tiff, i dont know what i would do without you..lol, so why dont i just work the band harder? is the difference from band to sleeve alot. like will i not be hungry all the time, because i am now. i also cant stand the stuck feeling anymore, so i drink sips after meals just to get some relief. but i wont be able to wash it thru the sleeve, right. and slider foods, how can they slide when its in your stomach? am i stupid or what, i just dont understand.

:(

The sleeve is the complete opposite feeling that the band gives you. I"m never hungry, even at 16 months out I never experience real hunger.

Slider foods just don't stay with us as long as dense Protein foods. I don't ever get the stuck feeling with the sleeve. I did a couple times early out when I ate too quickly, or didn't chew something up all that well, but now I eat like a normal person, normal size bites, normal amounts of chewing, just way smaller portions than a normal person.

I take sips with my meals now, but couldn't do so early out. It does indeed flush food through faster especially soft foods like mashed potatoes or Pasta.

The sleeve is the complete opposite feeling that the band gives you. I"m never hungry, even at 16 months out I never experience real hunger.

Slider foods just don't stay with us as long as dense Protein foods. I don't ever get the stuck feeling with the sleeve. I did a couple times early out when I ate too quickly, or didn't chew something up all that well, but now I eat like a normal person, normal size bites, normal amounts of chewing, just way smaller portions than a normal person.

I take sips with my meals now, but couldn't do so early out. It does indeed flush food through faster especially soft foods like mashed potatoes or Pasta.

thanks you so much Tiff, like i said, I don't know what i would do without your experience and knowledge, your answers are always so thourough and easy to understand. thanks for putting up with me...lol ..I'm sure i'm not done with you. Before and after surgery, you will probably tell me to shut up already....:D ~Vicki

Weight regain is not the same as "gaining all the weight back." Many people will gain some weight back after RNY or VSG, but few will gain all or most of it back. There is also a large range of how much weight people regain. The stats I've seen for VSG are between 7-20% regain.

I don't think all the factors behind regain are clear. Sometimes it's grazing or "eating around" the surgery. There are some reports of the intestine elongating after RNY or the stomach expanding. I personally haven't read of any studies that showed villi regrowth but they may be out there.

Almost everyone is far better off weightwise with the surgery than without. Your chances of losing the weight w/o surgery and keeping it off are almost nil. I'm sure we all want to stay at goal weight, but even if we gain some back, we wll be far better off Healthwise than before.

Weight regain is not the same as "gaining all the weight back." Many people will gain some weight back after RNY or VSG, but few will gain all or most of it back. There is also a large range of how much weight people regain. The stats I've seen for VSG are between 7-20% regain.

I don't think all the factors behind regain are clear. Sometimes it's grazing or "eating around" the surgery. There are some reports of the intestine elongating after RNY or the stomach expanding. I personally haven't read of any studies that showed villi regrowth but they may be out there.

Almost everyone is far better off weightwise with the surgery than without. Your chances of losing the weight w/o surgery and keeping it off are almost nil. I'm sure we all want to stay at goal weight, but even if we gain some back, we wll be far better off Healthwise than before.

Here's one of the many out there: Paragraph G discusses "adaptation specifically, as do prior notes/paragraphs through out this entire book.

http://books.google.com/books?id=A3_Ji7vbQ-0C&pg=PA563&lpg=PA563&dq=adaptation+process+of+villi+after+gastric+bypass&source=bl&ots=rye86oHZHK&sig=4uD-0X-gNrgphQvtA4AoirZ1gzQ&hl=en&ei=QOG8TKKzI4SglAfls4GBDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=adaptation%20process%20of%20villi%20after%20gastric%20bypass&f=false

I'm 3.5 lbs from my surgeon's goal and I'd like to go about 5 - 7 lbs below that. MY GOAL is to be like Tiff!!!!!! I want it to be as 'easy' as it is for her. So far it has been, knock on wood. The lower I go, the easier it's been. I'm not hungry either, I get an empty feeling, but it's not real hunger...I could just ignore it, I think it's my new hunger. I hope this never changes!

Tiff, you're a big help and always have the answers, or can direct us where to go, or you know where to go to find them for us! Thank you!

Tiff,

thanks for the link. I always take what I read on message boards with a grain of salt. Seeing scientific articles grounds me, so I always appreciate seeing them.