Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 wks post and FRUSTRATED w/food!!

I'll make this quick & to the point. I have bee HORRIBLE. the best of intentions...but having such a difficult time keeping food down. All of the things my nutritionist suggested (eggs, ground turkey, chili, tuna salad)...ALL of it comes right back up. I was able to get some herbed potatoes and collard greens down ONCE last week, but that was hit or miss.

In my Quest for FOOD (vs only being able to down Protein shakes), I tried a slice of SPAM *hangs head in shame* with NO adverse reactions...so ate another (after my earlier attempt of chili w/lean ground beef went the way of the toilet...QUICKLY).

Am I the only person having a problem with the mushy food phase and getting in their protein?? Advise?? HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

Hi

I am new to the board as well, my surgery date was the 24th! I haven't done any puking at all. Foods that I am consuming are: cottage cheese, yogurt, Yop drinks, Soups of all kinds with crackers in them, apple sauce, oysters, tonight I had Pasta w/shrimp and I just chopped it up very well. From what I have read if you are having troubles with mushies you should go back to fluids for 48hrs and then try again??? This is soooo FRUSTRATING!!! I feel your pain. I miss food.

I had my surg done on the 24th as well. I am still eating chicken broth daily. I am having problems with all Protein drinks and just about everything. SO I am sticking with what works. This liquid Protein I bought that I add to tea, chicken broth and some other cream cereals. I am to afraid to venture off in the food world. The gas and pain is not worht it to me.

That's probably why I have lost 30 lbs in 20 days.

Hi everyone,

I was sleeved on the 27 of sept, I guess we all have issues with food. I can only stomach liquids such as clear broth, egg drop Soup (that i hated before the surgery), V8 splash and Vitamin Water. I can't even keep Water down if i am thirsty and drink it too fast. I have what seems like heartburn every day. I am downing tums, take nexium 40mg (twice a day) and I still have acid reflux, please help!!!!! What am I DOING WRONG.

LL

hey vanishing... i was sleeved only one day before you, and yes, I am in a similar boat!!! I tried chili.. measured out a tiny 1/4 cup with a pinch of shredded cheese. yum, tasted great, felt good. an hour later I was puking. same with tuna. I had a little bit of tuna salad on a cracker or two. two hours later, had to pull over and puke in a bowl in my car. OMG! I hate it!!! today I saw my nutritionist and she told me that I am still early on and that my stomach needs time to heal. So.. dont' be afraid to try these foods again, but maybe take only 2 or 3 bites and wait a half an hour or something, see how I feel. Then maybe a little more. So I am trying to be patient and slow down. (maybe i just ate too fast?) It's such a guessing game. Did I eat too much? Too fast? The wrong thing? SO I guess stick with liquids again for a day and stuff that you do feel good on, and then try again. Maybe only measure out 1/8 cup?? That's what I'm going to try to do this week. And I hope for NO PUKING!!!

Good luck!

Sleeved on the 27th and Find myself more afraid to try new foods than anything, the gas pain to me is not worth it. I try to get my fluids in but this tedious sipping is driving me crazy. But TOday I did try some tuna wasnt too bad and it did stay down however It seems like I can feel Every bite and swallow going down which is uncomfortable. so I know I wasnt any help at all but jsut keeping trying to get the Water in and take the food slowly. Good Luck

I am sorry but it just takes time. I remember being where you're at. I could only eat 2 bites at first for weeks. I had to supplement with Protein Drinks for a long time until I could increase my bites. One thing that worked for me was to put chicken into my little mini blender so that it was like a paste and used miracle whip light. 2 bites at first, and gradually moved to 3 bites, etc. Think applesauce consistency. Chili may still just be too bulky for you right now.

I am 22 days out and I went to Applebee's with some girlfriends. I got a bowl of chili and had maybe 5 bites during an hour. It went down fine I was so excited. The next day my sister asked me if she could bring me something for lunch. I said sure a small chili. It made me feel awful. So heavy and greasy. Now I don't want chili anymore. I think I need to go back to liquids for a day or two.

Seems like every surgeon has a different post op diet - mine is strictly liquids for two weeks after, then can add in cottage cheese and baby food, then weeks 5-6 can start with soft Proteins, "regular" new diet to start week 6 -maybe you are starting too much too soon. Im about to lose my mind on Tomato Soup, chicken broth, more Soup, soup and soup!!!!

I hate to say it but I am SO glad you are all puking also. I am sick for no rhyme or reason sometimes. Last week it was 3 days in a row and then for 4 days I ate small amounts of M potatoes, chicken, beef etc and then yesterday back to puking. The only thing I can reliably keep down is toast and crackers. I sure hope it gets better. I'd like to see some people who are more than 4-8 weeks post op pipe in. I'm getting to the point where I don't want to try and eat all day for fear of being sick at work. The puking is so gross too with all of the slime.

My dr didn't really want us to do Protein shakes after we went on food but I may have to get back to them. Yesterday morning - 36 hours ago - I had 3 crackers with shredded chix salad.

Fluids are a real challenge as well. I can get them down with no problem but within an hour of eating it will hasten my getting sick. I was trying to eat 5 very small amounts a day which left almost no time around that (30 minutes before and 60 minutes after) to get down my fluids.

Nutritionally, if I am getting down a multi-Vitamin, what else do I have to get down and keep down each day to stay healthy. I'm starting to worry that I am surgically created bulimic :)

Really looking for advice here

Please feel free to contact me off list at deb@mothergooseadoptions.com

I've also started a blog at everythingelsefollows.blogspot.com

I am sorry but it just takes time. I remember being where you're at. I could only eat 2 bites at first for weeks. I had to supplement with Protein drinks for a long time until I could increase my bites. One thing that worked for me was to put chicken into my little mini blender so that it was like a paste and used miracle whip light. 2 bites at first, and gradually moved to 3 bites, etc. Think applesauce consistency. Chili may still just be too bulky for you right now.

I think you definitely should go back to liquids for a few days and give your stomach a rest. Is there a Protein drink that you like?

You probably also should contact your doctor and tell him/her that you're having all this trouble. Are you drinking any gatoraide ? You need to keep your electrolites (sp?) up. Your doctor may want to give you something for nausea.

" I'm starting to worry that I am surgically created bulimic :)" - Those are my EXACT sentiments. I have an update since I'm now a month post-op. STandby...

Thanks all for the input!

I don't like what I read here :-(

My surgery is on November 2nd, and I pride myself with not having thrown up since 14 years or so! Not that this is a great accomplishment, I just always liked that fact that I don't throw up (and yes, feel free to find this very weird). I guess I have to prepare myself that I may not keep my winning streak!

The good thing (I think) is that it seems to go away sooner or later and while some may hope for sooner, they may have to settle on later. I know, it's easy for me to say, I haven't even had the surgery, LOL

Daaaang.... I'm not liking what I'm reading either! My sister is dead set against me having the surgery and she's giving me a really hard time and this is exaclty what she thinks will happen.

Most of the stories I've read seem very positive and this is really the first I'm reading of problems. :(

I'm not sure if I have the patience to go through so much trouble converting through stages. I'm planning on a Dec surgery but this is scaring me a bit.

Do any of you regret the surgery? I'm sure all of you have moments that pass but would any of you pass on the surgery if you could go back?