Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This might be a long one, so hold tight. But really, it will depend on how much energy I have to type. Here's my experience so far:

I feel like crap.

Everyone who ever told me they had surgery on Friday and were ready to go back to work by Monday are either crazy, on drugs, or a superhero. I can't imagine going back to work now. Or ever, really. LOL. I'll give a day by day account:

Monday: got to the hospital about 1 1/2 hours early, but they took me back anyways and prepped me. I talked to about a million people and then finally they started to give me drugs. The last thing I remember is starting at the big lights in the operating room. I woke up (sort of) to people telling me to move from the gurney to my bed. I was not happy, I wasn't sore, but I was REEEEEALLY tired. The first few hours of waking up sucked. Then, at night, the gas pains were KILLER. I literally thought an alien baby was going to pop out of my abdomen. I hated it. I could only have Water and ice chips and every sip of water made my abdomen feel like it was expanding. Needless to say, I didn't drink much.

Tuesday: I started feeling better and I was taken to x-ray so they could make me drink this stuff (not barium this time) and make sure nothing was leaking. The x-ray doctor kept telling me take big gulps. I just looked at her like "Um, are you aware of this procedure? I can not take big gulps." So I sipped as much as I could and then told them I couldn't anymore. I probably could have, but I was going to vomit. Speaking of, I couldn't keep down my pain meds. They gave me ativan, loritab, and something else through my IV. But then every time I gave myself a dose of morphine, I threw up. So out went the pain meds. Fun, right? Oh, gas pains tonight were so much worse than on Monday. I went from pain level 4 to 10 in about 20 minutes. I asked God to help and then begged my mother to shoot me. Not a good night.

Wednesday: Again, woke up feeling better and was release from the hospital. The gas pains at night are the worst, but I hardly feel them during the day. So little by little, it WILL get better. But initially, it will be your own small circle of hell. At least, it was for me.

Oh. I almost forgot. My blood pressure has been going up and up and up since Monday when I checked in. I'm normally in the normal 120/80 range, but it even got up to 166/98 at one point. So now, ironically, I'm on blood pressure meds. It's been hard getting my fluids in but I'm discovering today that it will be easier to keep track of stuff if I write it down. I'm supposed to be drinking 4-6oz every waking hour, but lately I've only been getting about 2oz. It probably doesn't help that I'm also sleeping most of the time.

Whew. I gotta go rest now.

Hi Fleur! Congratulations on your new tiny tummy :-)

We all go through it in the very beginning. I think it's incredibly rare for someone to feel like normal after only a few days. I think most of it is psyching ourselves out because we have no other choice.

Also, morphine has always made me sick. I cannot take it, it just prolongs my recovery in the hospital. I try to tell this to the nursing staff once I'm able to talk again and they usually do me the favor of removing it, and I'll start feeling better immediately.

Hang in there! It really does get better and better every day - even the tiniest bit, but it does. :biggrin0:

I was right there with you ... Good news is that it does get better. I'm glad I captured this, because it's kinda like having a baby - you forget.

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/post-operation-vertical-sleeve-gastric-surgery-vsg-questions-answers/3493-surgery-recovery-sucks.html

Keep your chin up ... the light is just around the corner!

Don't worry about your blood pressure right now. I'm surprised your doc even put you on BP pills, considering dehydration (and low BP) is a concern when you are only a few days out. I had high BP on one occasion in the hospital and then once on day 4 after I got back - I had NEVER had high blood pressure before. Both the surgeon and my family doc here said it's likely due to pain from surgery. My family doc asked me to come in a week later to see if my BP was back to normal, and if it wasn't, then she'd consider a BP med. 1.5 weeks after the surgery, my BP was totally fine.

I second not understanding going back to work at this point. I was functioning fine at home, but once it came to walking more than 4 blocks or even standing around/strolling at the grocery store for 20 mins, I'd be EXHAUSTED after. I can't imagine going back to work until about 2 weeks out, even if you have a desk job. I just wouldn't be able to stay concentrated for long.

I could have written that. I also couldn't pee.. from the anesthesia. So, I had to be straight-cathed TWICE just so I could pee. Add that to all of that unpleasant. Sounds similar to yours actually.

On wednesday when I got home, I went right into my bed. I of course couldn't get comfy, and I was crazy restless, just walkin from the chair to the bed, to the other chair, didn't iknow what to do with myself. Slept horrible the first night.

On Thursday, I took a shower. From then on... it got better. Started sipping. Starting Protein shot over ice mixed with lemonade, sipping sipping tiny sips to get it in. Took a nap or two, rested. Friday tons better, Saturday, SUnday, etc, etc... now I'm on Day 11 and I cannot BELIEVE the difference.

Personally.. . people who have it on a Friday and go to work on a Monday? No way. REally? I don't believe it, and that sure as hell couldn't have been me.

I wish you an easy night tonight and I hope you continue to feel better and better. Sip slowly. Just pour a Protein shot into something tolerable (crystal light lemonade helped me) and keep sipping it.

Good luck and feel better! (Man a week ago.. I was on here begging for people to help me feel better, now I'm wishing other new post-ops that! I can't believe how far I've come, and you won't believe it either!)

Omg I can definitely relate these gas pains are horrible, I had surgery on Monday and still in the hospital doc said I can go home tomorrow. When does this horrid pain subside? I know its more from the gas rather than the actual surgery. Uggh I'm just ready to be past all this

Thanks everyone for the support. Since waking up this morning, I have felt so much better. I definitely understand the restlessness. My bed is nice and comfy and I managed to sleep on my side, with the use of many pillows. But I would lay down and then feel the need to get right back up. I've tried to spend most of the time up and moving because I've noticed that I feel worse when I just lay down all day. I'm hoping I can head back to Orlando late next week. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and an update on the dad situation. We didn't tell him until I was at the hospital getting prepped for surgery. I haven't really spoken to him but my sister did and he's NOT happy. Not that I expected him to be. According to her, he's more disappointed than angry. So we'll just see what happen.

@ Ninaboo: mine is slowly starting to get better. For me, the gas is worse when I'm just laying down or right after I drink some broth. But (and the nurse was right about this) once it starts to come out of the other end, you'll feel a lot better.

Hi Nina,

Glad to hear you went through with the surgery. Congrats and hope you're recovery goes smoothly.

Omg I can definitely relate these gas pains are horrible, I had surgery on Monday and still in the hospital doc said I can go home tomorrow. When does this horrid pain subside? I know its more from the gas rather than the actual surgery. Uggh I'm just ready to be past all this

Fleur

Glad your surgery went well and that you are feeling better.

Your dad will come around once he sees how healthy you're getting and enjoying your life.

Take it easy

Thanks everyone for the support. Since waking up this morning, I have felt so much better. I definitely understand the restlessness. My bed is nice and comfy and I managed to sleep on my side, with the use of many pillows. But I would lay down and then feel the need to get right back up. I've tried to spend most of the time up and moving because I've noticed that I feel worse when I just lay down all day. I'm hoping I can head back to Orlando late next week. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and an update on the dad situation. We didn't tell him until I was at the hospital getting prepped for surgery. I haven't really spoken to him but my sister did and he's NOT happy. Not that I expected him to be. According to her, he's more disappointed than angry. So we'll just see what happen.

@ Ninaboo: mine is slowly starting to get better. For me, the gas is worse when I'm just laying down or right after I drink some broth. But (and the nurse was right about this) once it starts to come out of the other end, you'll feel a lot better.

Congrats!! Each day you'll feel better and better..... and you'll forget how rough the first few days were.

I'm sure your Dad will come round once he sees your sleeve working for you.

Good luck with your recovery..... I felt almost 'normal' at about 2 weeks out.

Hi Nina,

Glad to hear you went through with the surgery. Congrats and hope you're recovery goes smoothly.

Thanks so much, I was brave and went ahead and went through it, today I do feel loads better, thanks for all the well wishes