Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

did I make the right decision?

I am scheduled for my surgery (sleeve) on September 30th. However, I am still wondering if I made the right decision on which surgery to have. I chose the sleeve because I didn't like the idea of re-routing my intestines, but am nervous that I will not lose as much weight as I would if I went with gastric bypass. Anyone out there losing 100+ pounds? All the literature says that I should lose 40-60% of excess weight, but that is only about 90lbs and I would really like to lose about 130.

I have over 100 lbs to lose. So far I have lost 68lbs, and still losing. I totally love my sleeve. RNY lose faster, but I'm not in a race, and I didn't want to have "dumping syndrome." I think the sleeve is far less invasive- and if the tool is used properly you should lose what you want.

I am scheduled for my surgery (sleeve) on September 30th. However, I am still wondering if I made the right decision on which surgery to have. I chose the sleeve because I didn't like the idea of re-routing my intestines, but am nervous that I will not lose as much weight as I would if I went with gastric bypass. Anyone out there losing 100+ pounds? All the literature says that I should lose 40-60% of excess weight, but that is only about 90lbs and I would really like to lose about 130.

Hey! I've lost a bunch! Check out the other posters tickers! you'd be surprised. . . i've surpassed my 40-60% about 20 lbs ago. . and you know what ! Once again, it's mind over matter. . . if you want to lose the weight, you WILL lose the weight, statistics or not. . .it's how you work this tool that will chose your success not some stupid statistic! Good luck and yes you've made the right choice, the question is ARE you mentally prepared for the task ahead?????? It does take work, it's not easy peasy. . .

Thanks everyone! I do have hope and I know that the surgery is not a cure-all for my bad habits and gene pool but a great tool and jump start to a better life. I hope that once some of this weight is off I will have more energy to focus on better health. Congrats to you all on your success and those in the same boat as me (beginning stages) can't wait til months down the road when it all pays off:)

Hello there, yes I have lost over a hundred pounds. I had VSG in

Jan 2010 and have lost 143 pounds. Still like 4 pounds to get to my

goal of 215 and it is taking a little longer to get there because I started

working on slowing the weightloss down so I would not go too far past

my goal weight.

Good luck with you weightloss journey.

Gary

Gary, can I just say how great you look? Your numbers are amazing, and the pictures tell an incredible story. I hope I have your kind of success!

Dave

Thanks Dave, the sleeve has really been a life saver and changer

for me. Just today I saw a person that I have not seen for awhile and

she said if I had not spoken to her she would not have known who I was.

The sleeve is a great tool to help a person lose weight.

Gary

Thanks Dave, the sleeve has really been a life saver and changer

for me. Just today I saw a person that I have not seen for awhile and

she said if I had not spoken to her she would not have known who I was.

The sleeve is a great tool to help a person lose weight.

Gary

I'm looking forward to having that experience. I email with a lot of old friends, but we don't exchange pictures, so I'll be curious to hear their reaction when they see me. Next Wednesday is my appointment with the surgeon - surgery could be as soon as four weeks after that. Cross your figners!

Dave

It is fun seeing the expression on their faces when they realize it

is you and the weight is gone. I recently got back from vacation where

I went to FL to visit Keys Pirate and her husband Rich. We had surgery

the same day and she looks amazing too. She is within three or four pounds

of reaching her goal weight too which will put her at 100 pounds lost. They

ride bikes and do other exercising stuff. To see her now you would never

know she had ever had a weight problem.

The surgery is a great tool, the rest is up to us.

I know you all will do fine.

Gary

Michiganmama,

There are hundreds of us out here that wish we had your problem! We're fighting our insurance companies to let us have our sleeve, when all they want is to give us the lap band or gastric bypass.

If you want a little more convincing that the sleeve is better, go to Obesityhelp.com and start reading under the heading of "Complications or Problems". Then compare the same heading on this website.

I have coworkers who had the RNY and believe me some of them are now packin' the pounds back on....and as an added bonus they are going for regular Iron infusions! :thumbup1:

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Hope you make the best decision for your health!! :001_tongue: Wish I was in your shoes.