Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need more calories!

All, I am about 4 weeks out, and have NEVER hit my calorie requirements.

Basically, I am trying to work within these figures:

600-800 Calories

5-10g fat

20-30g carbs

80-90g protiens

I'm consistantly hitting the fat (although usually under 5g) and hitting the mid range for carbs, or lower, and always getting my protiens.

I understand that at this stage, I need to up my calories, right? I've slowed down on my weight loss, and am thinking that the low calories is the reason.

I'm having a hard time finding foods that will keep me within my other guidelines, but up my calorie numbers.

What are others eating at this stage? Should I perhaps be looking at increasing my range of foods?

Help!

I would love to hear any feedback on this topic as well. I am 30 days out and am getting frustrated with the trifecta of calories, Protein, and liquids. If I try to get most of my protein from food then I overshoot on calories and if I eat my protein rather than drink it, I don't come close to making quota on liquids due to the no drinking with or after food rule. It seems right now that the only way to acheive my guidelines is to drink 3 shakes a day and eat food only as a garnish. Frustrating.

Hey La Lady!

I was having this issue last week and wasn't losing, remember? I got vigilant about tracking on myfitnesspal and had to change up my menu so I could get between 700-750 calories. And voila! Three pounds down in four days.

Here's a sample of two days for me, keeping in mind that I'm now eating soft foods and some pureed meats.

Breakfast:

Peanut Butter chocolate Protein shake (made with 1.5 scoops) and skim milk, an extra TBS Peanut Butter.< /p>

OR

1/2 cup eggbeaters, 1/4 cup shredded cheese, 2 slices pureed turkey bacon OR 6 pureed thin slices turkey lunchmeat, topped with one slice low fat cheese [this takes me all morning to eat - it's like two meals]

Lunch:

tuna salad made with 2 TBS light mayo, 1 Tsp Dijon mustard, 2 hardboiled egg whites, dill, onion powder

OR

6 slices thin deli meat, with 1 TBS flavored cream cheese

Dinner:

Salmon patties (fresh salmon, a little light mayo, herbs and spices, fried in nonstick spray) topped with a little greek yogurt with dill mixed in

OR

Ricotta bake, with 2 TBS spaghetti sauce and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese

Snack:

1 Light string cheese

OR

1/4 cup cottage cheese

My fat goals are higher than yours - I aim for less than 40 a day. I also have too much reliance on processed meats while in softs - now that I can actually transition to real meats that will get better. I also hope that now I can eat real meats I can cut back on my dairy consumption, and thereby reduce my fat intake.

On average, I eat about 750 calories, 25-28 carbs, 35 fat, and 85-90 Protein a day. But some days my calories are down around 650, and some days my carbs are less than 20 while my protein hits 100...I try very hard to keep things interesting.

I drink whenever I'm not eating, usually only waiting about 20 minutes after my meal to start again. I find it's not hard to get in my Water but I am drinking from the time I wake up until I go to bed at night to get to goal.

That's what works for me, though. We're all different.

All I can say is keep changing it up. Some days I eat more carbs but less calories, some days I eat more protein and less carbs but I never eat the same thing or the same menu two days in a row. Once I got out of my rut (same shake for Breakfast, same cottage cheese for lunch, same ricotta bake for dinner) and upped my calories I started losing again.

Good luck!

~Cheri

Edited by clk
ETA: info about drinking

I have been adding in some Peanut Butter, which has Protein but quite a few calories, and then topping things with low fat cheese, which also seems to have more calories. I have been under on my calories every day until adding these things in, and it's helped. I haven't been staying to 5-10 grams of fat, though. Usually I have about 10-20, it seems like. My carbs have been under 30 every day, and I usually get in 50-70 Proteins. I am trying to do it without shakes, but I still have to have one a day, usually.

I'll keep reading for other people's comments as well, as I'm interested.

I forgot to mention that I am supposed to get 600 calories a day and usually barely top 400.

Thanks Everyone...I'll try some of the suggestions, and think I need to up my fat....that way, i can eat more calories.

It would be great to hear from others...

My nut says to stay away from peanut butter! confused?

Calories are easiest to get with drinks and fat. Juices, Peanut Butter, avocado are good options that are easy on the stomach. Good ways to get in Protein without having to chug another Protein Shake is to put some in your oatmeal (my favorite pre-surgery Breakfast was oatmeal with 1% milk, chocolate Protein Powder, and peanut butter - can't wait to have it again!) and to add pasteurized egg whites to your liquid meals, such as broths, Jello or Protein Shakes - of course, make sure the liquid is not too hot, or else the egg whites will cook!

Upping the calories without adding to the carbs is so hard for me but I know I need to as I've noticed that I loose more weight with more calories. Watching this thread, come on gals, give us some fresh new ideas! =)

I've started having a Protein coffee or chai latte every morning. I have a low carb Protein powder (IsoFlex vanilla - half a gram of carbs per scoop) and I take two scoops and mix it with half a cup of lowfat milk. Then I brew either a cup of coffee or a cup of chai tea and mix them together. Sometimes I pour the mixture over ice, sometimes I don't.

With the milk and Protein I use, this is about 282 calories, 8 grams of carbs, 1 gram of fat and 60 grams of protein. If I have calories to spare or if I just plain feel like it, I'll add a Tbs. of french vanilla coffee creamer for a bit more vanilla boost. If I wanted to have less calories I'd only use one scoop of protein, which would make it 171 calories, 8 grams of carbs, 1 gram of fat and 33 grams of protein.

This helps boost my calories and the carbs are low enough that I still stay within my personal goals for the day. If I don't start my day with this Protein Drink, I have trouble hitting even 500 calories for the day. I still have no desire to eat, and I still only eat miniscule portions. I find myself getting "stopped up" very frequently with any type of meat unless it's (disgustingly) coated with gravy, so I find myself gravitating to "easy" sources of protein like cheese, cottage cheese, greek yogurt and protein powders.

Good luck, La. You're doing great on the weight loss, by the way!

~Cheri

Edited by clk
more info

you guys are so lucky you're having trouble upping your calories, I'm having trouble keeping them down! When I'm hungry I have a triangle of soft lowfat cheese, for a meal I love beans(refried or anykind really) with tomatoes and low fat grated cheese and in the grill for a few minutes. I also love cottage cheese or ricotta bake, with spinach and nutmeg, yummm!! I'm 6 weeks out and I started going to the gym so I hope I continue losing weight, as I'm doing around 900 calories a day now, and as some of you said i try to vary to trick my body, somedays I'll eat less fat, somedays less carbs, I do try to keep my Proteins up though, I still usually have 1 Protein Drink a day.