Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone know? Nexum verses Prevevacid?

I had my sleeve in Mexico in May 18th.of this year. I bought enough Nexum to last me for 2 months in Mexico. The Dr. suggested staying on it for 4 months. I got a prescription from the Dr. today and went to have it filled. My insurance doesn't cover the Nexum..The cost was 180.00 for 1 month supply. I couldn't believe it. The Pharmacy suggested I try over the counter Prevacid..said it does the same thing as Nexum even though it is a different drug. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? I wonder if the Prevacid has the same effect? Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated.

I found myself in the same shape with Nexium, my insurance would not pay for it either. I tried a couple of OTC meds and finally was told about Zegerid OTC. I have been using it every since, maybe not as good as Nexium but all the relief I needed.

Good Luck,

I was told by Dr. Aceves' office that OTC Prilasec is fine to use instead of Nexium. The pill is small and that seemed to be what they cared about. They have the knock-off at costco fairly cheap. Seems to be working just fine for me. PPIs all have basically the same affect.

Thanxs Gary and Brittu...isn't this medication for the acid in the stomach? How long did you continue taking the meds? Dr. Aceves was my Dr. as well. Sounds as if both of you are doing well. Thanxs much for the response. Always wonderful to have your mind put at ease.

I haven't taken anything for about a week. So far, no heartburn. I am going to start takng the medication tomorrow morning though. I was told if you didn't take the medication for awhile after the surgery you could end up eating a hole in your stomach from the acid. That sounds scary enough to me.

My Dr has me on Nexium, 2 a day for the first 30 days then 1 a day for 60 days. On my 1 month post op check up he said if I was still getting acid after the month to continue on 2 a day for another month, then cut back after that.

I'm finding myself not needing 2 a day now - and I'm just approaching 8 weeks tomorrow.

But i buy mine over the counter here in Spain and they are expensive - 35 euros for 28 tablets.

Im seeing now that there are several other products that will give me the same desired effect that are much cheaper. Honestly I don't have any of the heart burn at all. Thanxs for your reply sparkle. Sounds like you are doing very well.