Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Southern California

i'm keeping my employer in blissful ignorance about my adventures in surgery, and i just can't leave work again on monday to see dr. alskaf -- i've been skipping out on work for all these appointments a little too much and i can't risk not being able to take the day off to go to my day-long appointments in San Diego on the 23rd. it's kind of an either/or situation for me right now in terms of my job. since it won't affect my being scheduled for surgery, wenda agreed to postpone my appointment with dr. alskaf until my one-month post-op with him. woohoo!

and don't feel like you have to wait until a doc appointment to get the lowdown on lancaster, you can email or call wenda anytime for that info. wenda's awesome and will tell you everything she knows about the situation.

@realred: Congrats!! So happy to hear your progress. I'm considering making the switch to San Diego knowing how the process seems so much faster. Definitely something for me to think about!

@kristykreem: I do know many people who either gained the weight to qualify or puts weights in their pockets to qualify. They do want you to lose weight in class and before surgery, so I don't think it's a bad idea especially knowing how much help you'll get from the surgery. Sometimes you have to play their game!

I also would agree with your take on the Options classes for Mr Mason. I felt like the nutrional portion of the classes were the most beneficial. But as far as paperwork goes, they had no idea what they were doing. I was a little irritated on the last class when I was told that I hadn't turned in all my food logs when I had completed everything each week on time. I insisted that I had completed it, but I was told that there was no way that my log could have been misplaced, and I would just have to do an addional week. I took an extra log home, resigned to do another week and feeling frustrated that my referral could be held up because of this. Sure enough, a few hours later I received a phone call that they had indeed found my log in with another class. I would recommend making copies of your logs before handing them in.

How funny I was thinking the same thing put some weights under my clothes! kasier turned me down with a bmi of 37.5 and other weight related conditions.If weighed 10 pounds more I would be at the 40 bmi mark. I could put them in my bra they weigh you with all your clothes on.

How funny that the cancellation was you!!! The nurse that called me said there were several cancellations. Perhaps there are other people who are having the same issues with work. It is tough to get to all of these appointments we have to do. I'm lucky because I work in Encino, so it's not too far from the Panorama City location. I have told my direct supervisor what's going on, so she knows that I will have appointments and come in late sometimes. And she's super supportive of me and gets regular updates from me on my progress. Luckily I can just stay a little later to make up the time.

Thanks for the heads up on contacting Wenda. I think I will check with her to see where I am in the process.

@Humpty Dumpty: I say go for it!!! Stuff what you got!!! A friend of mine purchase ankle weights that are adjustable so she was able to slowly remove some weight as she went for the regular weigh-ins. Might be less noticeable than in your bra. Just wear pants to your weigh-ins.

Hi, I did consider weights but I didn't think I could pull it off I can't even lie about my age...I am just a terrible liar(G)

Mr Mason I have a friend who just finished the options program today at PC she has actually decided to not go through with the sleeve because of the class they scared her out of it.

dcokequeen Lancaster is still backed up partly because of the remodel partly because they are only allowing a small amount of beds there for now. I believe they also do the surgeries at Harbor/southbay but do not know what their rep is.

I am attending the seminar next Thursday also. So exciting. My Options class ends Sept. 20 in Bellflower. Like many others, I decided on SD because I do not want to wait any longer than I have too.

Hey ladies- Well, I was very proactive today. Had my procedures(Upper and Lower GI) and everything looks good. So I called Wenda and changed everything. I am now having my surgery at Pacific Bariatric in SD. Next Thursday going to the mandatory seminar in Anaheim, and getting this ball rolling. I want nothing to do with Kaiser WLA. Thanks all for all the info on Pacific Bariatric. Looks like I will need to do 3 trips total. Its all good to get sleeved sooner than later.

@Blaqberry- That is a great idea on doing the seminar now. Thinking I am going to get there early- gonna have an early dinner. Your welcome to join. I will friend you.

the seminar i went to was actually kind of interesting. the medical history you'll have to fill out is extensive but easy -- i filled mine out during the lecture, but you're not allowed to turn it in at the seminar, you have to fax it to them afterward (i faxed mine the following morning). they'll give you another form asking about your insurance, your primary doc, etc., and that form *is* turned in to them at the end of the seminar.

Who will be attending the seminar this coming Thursday with Pacific Bariatric in Anaheim? I called to verify that my name was rcvd through their website. She said there will be a list and also each person will sign-in. They use the scheduling for a head count to be sure they have a enough materials for everyone. She also mentioned that the materials will give us all the information needed and to fax or mail in everything requested.

I weigh-in tomorrow, beginning the 7th week. I am do discouraged, because every week my weight fluctuates with the edema condition. But I will keep the faith and hopefully the surgeon will fully understand.

@Kristykreem: I had my appointment with Dr. Alskalf this morning. My weight has gone done and I've even lost 3.5 inches on my waist. Amazing!! Best news of all: I received my referral to the surgeon!! Whoo hooo!!!! I can call tomorrow to schedule my initial consult with him. I'm feeling really great right now! :)

good for u. surgery coming soon for ya.

@Kristykreem: I had my appointment with Dr. Alskalf this morning. My weight has gone done and I've even lost 3.5 inches on my waist. Amazing!! Best news of all: I received my referral to the surgeon!! Whoo hooo!!!! I can call tomorrow to schedule my initial consult with him. I'm feeling really great right now! :)

blaqbeary -- edema sucks. all the more reason for you to have surgery.

dcokequeen -- that's awesome! i hope you get to see the surgeon soon!