Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG!!! Was this a waste of money???

I am 3 weeks out of surgery and I swear there is NO BAND in me!!!! I read all about people on liquids and mushies for weeks, PB-ing, not being able to eat much, etc... I dont have any of these problems!!! I swear I could down a burger and it wouldn't be a problem. I am on mushies and try to stick to the small amounts, but I have to tell you, it doesn't cut it. I am hungery an hour later if I eat the recommended amount. If I eat more, I can go 3hours without hunger...and I have no problem getting it down. I dont have a job that allows me to eat every hour. I am scared if I eat more I will do damage. Currently, I can eat normal portions no problem. I have endulged when I know I wont be able to eat for long hours. This has not been a problem so far.

Is this common? I was told the hunger would go away. Do I have to wait for a fill for this to change drastrically? What is up? Did I just spend all this money for nothing????

I have to say that I am walking up to 5 miles a day now and this probably contributes to my hunger. I have lost 10lbs since surgery, but I attribute this to better choices and exercise. I swear I eat as much now as I did before...its just in a mushy form now.

PLEASE someone tell me this is normal. I almost wish I would have a PB just so that I know there is a band in me and it is functioning.

Obviously you're just someone who heals up quickly and doesnt swell alot. In which case you've done really well to lose as much as you have. Hang in there, restriction will come with fills.

I had to laugh when I read your post because I said the same thing. The only way I knew I was banded was that I could feel the port. LOL. Like you, I felt no restriction and haven't experienced any of the side-effects that others write about.

I had my first fill at exactly 8 weeks (the earliest my surgeon will do it) and really don't feel much differently. Some people here said it takes 2-3 fills before you feel restriction so hang in there.

Hi Medussa,

I am two weeks in today and exactly the same as you. Hungry hungry hungry. I did actually eat some mushies today because I was going stir crazy - so crazy that I can't really explain it. I am panicking now that I have done some damage to the band and that it has slipped, but in my 'moment' I didn't really think of that:faint: . I don't get a fill until 10 July 2006 and don't know how I will cope until them.

I know exactly what you are going through.

Are you allowed to eat mushies at 2 weeks? I have heard 2 weeks, 3 weeks and even 4 weeks of liquids before mushies.

Regards,

Barkley

YOU ARE NORMAL!!! There, feel better? ((((hugs))))

The band is not designed to work without a fill, and you seem to be a great healer! Yes, some people need 2 or 3 fills before they find their "sweet spot" but others find the first fill does the trick.

Because you are not filled, it is just like you were not banded. Of course you will be hungry. That's normal and to be expected. Please hang in there, this pre-fill stage has got to be the hardest because you want it to work, you don't want to be hungry, and you want to lose weight. So, this will probably be the last time you will be able to enjoy baked goods :girl_hug:

Excellent work on the 10 pounds, btw.

But jus so you know, you are going to be hungry even after you are filled. You will, because you are HUMAN. I'm sitting here, feeling hungry, but that's because I ate something like 4 hours ago. And that too is to be expected. A lot of people think that once they are banded, (and filled) that they will never, ever be hungry ever again. And that is simply not true. But maybe for the first time, you will feel physically hungry, instead of 'munchy' or 'nibbly' or something similar. Part of the key is to lean to manage your hunger, so you don't get too hungry. If I'm not careful, my hunger will sneak up on me, and suddenly I'll be ravenously hungry. And that is a danger point. If I wait until I am too hungry, I get into trouble. I'll eat too fast, or take too big of a bite and then WHAMP!!!! Stuck, or worse.

Cheers and welcome to Bandlandia

You wanna pb ok go eat a dry chicken sandwich, drink a bottle of Water and then eat a hot dog with a potato roll......do this at your own risk....warning pbing is dangerous to your band.

Patience is a virtue, have you ever heard of this one or Good things come to those who wait. If you work with your band it will be worth it. Keep doing what you are doing, eating right and exercising. Are you journaling your food, I find that really helps to see the calories I'm taking in.

Once you are able to get your fills, the restriction will come ....and go but you will get that fill that is just right and you won't be able to eat everything that you can now. It took time for the weight to pile on and it takes time for it to fall off. Good Luck

Hello All,

I am feeling just the same. I am almost 4 weeks out of surgery. I know exactly how you feel. I have not even tried to vary from the diet my doctor has put me on. I am going to hang in there as I was told...If i feel hungry to just fight it. We all need to be strong until we get an adjustment to hopefully makes us feel satisfied. I was down 18 lbs after two weeks and that is motivation enough to stick to the program....This band seems to be proven to work so give it some time and lets see... I am getting about 700-800 calories a day , 70-80 grams Proteins and about 70 oz of water/crystal light....Do not over do the excercise as that will increase your appetite...

Be strong and stick to the game plan!!!

ditto what vines said...

your feelings are completely normal. i did the EXACT same thing...search for and read my thread "scales R Moving" and you will see that i lost nothing... from the time i was 1 week postop until 2 1/2 months out. it was very discouraging and i was beginning to feel that the band would not work for me. i had two fills before the weight started to change...and the losing did not start until a good three weeks after the second fill. just try to be patient and concentrate on forming good bandster eating habits. that is what i did...tried to abide by the rules, even though i did not feel any restriction. i also became obsessed with tracking my diet on fitday.com and learning how to live with 800-1200 calories a day. once you get used to it, it is really a lot more food than you think, and by the time you have restriction, there are days when 800-1200 calories is more than you will be able to easily consume. no, it is NOT a waste of time/money, etc. you are wasting energy worrying about it, but we are all guilty of doing that the first moments of life with the band.

also, you are starting at a low weight, and i suspect a lower bmi. mine was 38 to start. it is widely believed that lower bmi-ers lose slower that higher bmi-ers.

You'll be there in no time. Patience Sweetie. Just wait & your world will change upside down ;0) Try practicing small bites now you'll need the practice. Trust me.

Yup, been there done that. I wondered if I even HAD a band for the two months after surgery. TOTALLY NORMAL. I told my doc when I went for my first fill that I could eat an entire subway sandwich. He filled my band up 1/2 way. I definately know it's there now.

Be thankful that you know that without your band being filled you have no restriction. That may come in handy down the road if you get a stomach virus or pregnant, etc. Just realize that the restriction doesn't happen for most without fills.

Best of luck!

:rolleyes: Kristin

Ditto's, I could eat a hero w/no sweat before my fills. Hang in there and be patient...good things will come.

Hi Medussa,

Are you allowed to eat mushies at 2 weeks? I have heard 2 weeks, 3 weeks and even 4 weeks of liquids before mushies.

Regards,

Barkley

Lots of people are allowed mushies at 1 and 2 weeks, it just depends on your doc.

Medussa,

What you are feeling is SO normal.You won't feel any restriction until you've had a FEW fills,not even the 1st one will make a difference in your restriction level.Unless you Dr is really aggressive and give big fills.

My sister had her first fill yesterday and says she can still eat anything she wants,but of course she controls herself.This is the time when we have to use our will power.I know it's hard.I am now on my 3rd fill in 3 months and now know what restriction feels like and trust me pbing is not something to look foward too,it hurts,especially when you feel something stuck and it won't come out,you'll be in pain for hours.So enjoy your "not pging time"This band thing takes alot of patience,more that I've ever could have imagined but I hear it's worth it at the end.I'm still working on my own patience.My scale will no longer budge for some reason,even with a tight fill and walking 2 miles every evening.Good luck!