Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanks Theresa! I'm not sure if anyone has Neighborhood health plan? They have told me time and again that they cover the surgery, but I haven't found much info on them on this website.

Also I just got my first appt, on June 30th! Little nervous how does the first appt go?

Thanks!

Can anyone offer information on pregnancy after the lap band. I'm new to this and just started researching. The surgeon of choice so far is Dr. Jones at BIDMC. Any information is helpful.

Dr. Jones was very specific when discussing pregnancy after lapbands. Have you been to any seminars yet? Pregnancy is is to be avoided for two years after the surgery. Handout information also discusses the avoidance of pregnancy within the first two years.

Yup, I paid the $500 fee, also. It covers expenses that insurance does not cover and it helps them run the (very important and very helpful) informational seminars every month. Also only people who are serious about the surgery will want to pay the fee. Attending two seminars is mandatory because you will get to meet both doctors and hear many different people who have had the surgery share their results. I was glad I went to both. Also there are other bariatric programs that require 4-6 informational sessions...so two is not bad! It does seem like this surgery is a long drawn out process, but it is well worth the wait. I began the process in August of 08 and was banded in February of 09. I have lost 45 pounds and I feel terrific! I do not feel deprived and I can eat my favorite foods...don't get discouraged!

Dr. Jones was very specific when discussing pregnancy after lapbands. Have you been to any seminars yet? Pregnancy is is to be avoided for two years after the surgery. Handout information also discusses the avoidance of pregnancy within the first two years.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I have been to one seminar

Yup, I paid the $500 fee, also. It covers expenses that insurance does not cover and it helps them run the (very important and very helpful) informational seminars every month. Also only people who are serious about the surgery will want to pay the fee. Attending two seminars is mandatory because you will get to meet both doctors and hear many different people who have had the surgery share their results. I was glad I went to both. Also there are other bariatric programs that require 4-6 informational sessions...so two is not bad! It does seem like this surgery is a long drawn out process, but it is well worth the wait. I began the process in August of 08 and was banded in February of 09. I have lost 45 pounds and I feel terrific! I do not feel deprived and I can eat my favorite foods...don't get discouraged!

I'm just starting the process but would like as much info as possible. You mentioned losing about 45 pounds and not feeling deprived. What are some of the negative things you have encountered through the weightloss process. Do have any symptoms from the band?

Thanks,

I also had my surgery in Feb '09 with Dr. Jones. So far I've lost 58 lbs and I too feel great. I've been very fortunate and have had almost no problems as a result of the band. One occasion I ate too quickly and had some pain from the food getting stuck, however I did as advised, I stopped eating and walked around for a few minutes and the food passed without a problem. I had some post op swelling and was not able to get all the Fluid in that I needed. This caused me to spend an extra night in the hospital. Personally I feel the biggest obstacle to get past is it's not brain surgery -- all the same cravings are going to be there. You can still have the things you crave but not everyday and not in the same amount. About a week after surgery while watching TV, I heard my hubby munching away on a snack. It was very hard since I could only drink (you're on a liquid diet for several weeks after surgery) and although I was feeling stuffed after drinking 8oz of fluid, I wanted to be able to chew something. I remember crying thinking if I felt this way now how was this surgery ever going to help me. But I got through it. Another thing that can be hard is not drinking a 1/2 hr before and after eating. You get used to that too. I don't want to discourage you. No it's not easy but if you use the band as the tool it's meant to be and listen to your body it's worth it!!

hey. do they make you sign in at the info sessions? how do they know you've gone?

Yes, you must sign in each time you attend.

I was just banded by Dr. Schneider 10/26/09. He's great, I really like him. Dr. Jones seems quite nice as well, but something about Dr. Schneider had me hooked from the first info session.

The surgery went well and I seem to be healing the way I should (externally at least- since that's all I can see). I have mixed reviews of the nursing teams. The recovery nurse, Meredith was great, but I only stayed with her for a couple of hours. I was then moved to my room on Farr 9. My surgery was at 7:30a so I was in my room at about noon, the nurses the first day were great, but by day 2, either they were tired or stressed or something, but I felt like I was their biggest annoyance. Which was hard for me- I had never done this before and had a lot of questions, but one nurse in particular made me feel like they were irritating her- maybe they were, I don't know.

Once discharged from the hospital I had a question and paged the surgical assistant who gave me her card to use for such occasions. She never called. Coincidentally that same eveing the nurse from the bariatric program called to check up (she didn't know I had paged the other person).

Now I'm looking for some kind of support group - and there are a couple more focused groups at BIDMC- which I'll attend, but I'm looking for something more local that meets a bit more frequently.

To sum up, the surgeon and the surgery were phenomenal. Once the surgery was completed, I felt (feel) like I was in a lap band mill with no real support to speak of. I even paged the Platinum team once to ask about something (like bleeding...) and after one hour still no call. I finally had to page them again and then got a response. The support/follow up care has been very disappointing to me.

Hi Alicia,

I was also banded at BI my surgery was 9/23/09 with Dr. Schneider and his team, and I felt the same way! My aftercare nurse was awesome! So was the nurse I had when I first got to Farr 9 (when they finally found a bed for me, I was walking around the aftercare area for hours). But when the shift changed the nurses constantly forgot about me, ie pain meds, Water and so on. I just kept bugging them and walking into the nurses station. Not great. The next day though I had the strangest encounters with an extremely rude nurse, who worked for Dr. Schneider's team. I can't remember her name, but wow what a piece of work. I also couldn't get a time from them when I would be released. Causing my friend who was picking me up stress. Finally a nurse came in and was like umm your free to go and out I walked. I can't remember the name of the three nurses I really liked I wish I could because I would send them a thank you card.

Also I have to admit I was at first apprenshive of June, the nurtionist, but aftercare wise she really is the best. And makes me feel comfortable. BUT the guy (again no idea) who checked me out, two weeks after surgery was also a strange experience. He just walked into the room didn't introduce himself and said" lift up your shirt" I did he said your scars look great. Any pain? No okay your all set. And was heading out the door while I was yelling questions after him. "Can I excerise?" Can I take a bath? Can I put Vitamin E on my wounds? Only one of those questions got answered. I had never meet this guy before, and for awhile I thought maybe he wasn't a doctor or something. Also I have to admit I spent aprox. 15 minutes with Dr. Schneider from the begining of this decision till now. Something I am little upset about.

All in all I recovered extremely quickly from the surgery. And so far it seems everything is going good (which is the great part). But from the patient doctor relationship part I am severely disappointed.

Hi all

Long time, first time....I have my first visit at BIDMC on 3/2, having done two info sessions. I've read through the thread, seems like they do a good job there with pre and post care, with maybe the exception of a nurse here or there.

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Al, I just turned 36, I'm 5'11", and have been between 270-350 for the last eight years or so. Having lost and re-gained 50 pounds or more a number of times, I have finally decided I need to get some help. I've always said if I can't fix this before I'm 40, then I'll get a bypass (my mother has had a lot of success with hers, so I've seen the results first-hand). But over the winter holidays, I did a lot of thinking and realized that there is no sense in waiting. I also realized that I did not want a bypass, but a band, so from there I talked to my doc, did some research, and went to some info sessions.

I've decided on BIDMC for a variety of reasons, including a talk with Dr. Schneider and a pre-surgery fitness/personal training program that they are offering now as part of a research study. It's also convenient to where I live and work, and I've seen other docs there.

This forum has been a terrific resource for me, so in addition to introducing myself (I suppose I should go post on "Introductions" as well, and maybe head over to the Men's forum too) I just wanted to thank all the folks who have taken time to share their stories.

I hope you don't mind if I post some questions as I go through this process. As I said, my first appt. is on 3/2. I just had a sleep test (my apnea is treated through a sleep doctor at BIDMC), so hopefully that's one less test I have to take.

I'm not particularly in a rush, but I did wonder about the time it took folks between their first appointment and their approval (I've cleared this with my insurance). I know it varies, but I also know that once approved I would be looking at probably 3 months before surgery, so that would help me get a rough idea - right now I'm thinking some time in July/August for surgery if all goes well.

That's all I have for questions at the moment, but I am sure I will have more. Anyone who has recently been banded at BIDMC or by Dr. Schneider also please feel free to chime in, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks - and apologies for the long message!

Al

Just posting an update and bumping up that last message. Any Beth Israel bandsters out there?

I'm through most of the hoops at this point - I am meeting with Dr. Schneider on Thursday. Hopefully I'll have a surgery date shortly thereafter.

Anyone been banded by Dr. Schneider or at BIDMC recently? I'd like to get in touch, or at least hear how your experience was. Any inside info would be great too. Hope everyone is enjoying the recent warm weather here in MA!

Hi Al

Just wanted to check in and see how your appointments are going and if you've received your surgery date yet. I know it can take a bit of time based on your insurance. When I was banded, by Dr. Jones, I had BCBS and it didn't take long at all for them to give the authorization. My meeting with Dr. Jones 11/19/08 my band was placed on 2/10/09.

My experience was great as I'm sure yours will be. Hope all is going well. Keep the updates coming by personal message or post!

:thumbup: Theresa