Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I'm just starting the whole process of applying for the lap band at BIDMC. I was wondering if people could give me feedback on their experience, both good and bad (if applicable). Also, which doctor did you use? I'm not sure which doctor I would like to request.

Thanks!

Hi Chrispy

I was banded at BIDMC by Dr Schneider -- I love him & the staff there -- very supportive. If you have any particular questions I can help you with, pleam PM me....other than that good luck with your journey!

Thanks for replying. I have a friend who used Dr. Jones, but my first info session was with Dr. Schneider. He seemed really nice. I was just curious to see what kind of experiences others have had. My friend is very, very happy.

HEY THERE

I am also started the process, first I have to have my gallblatter out and then 6 weeks later the band. I met Dr. Jones for the first time and I really feel good about having him for my doctor.

I have not met Dr Jones yet, but I have a friend who used Dr Jones, and she loves him. I have met Dr Schneider, and he seemed very nice as well. My momther is now thinking of having this operation too, but she seems to be partial to Brigham & Womens. I am going to an info session with her there on Tuesday night, and then she is going to come to BIDMC for my second info session there. That way we both can compare the two. It will be interesting to see if they are very different.

Can't say enough about BIDMC but, you are very smart in checking out all options Chris. Glad to see you're doing your research :) Never a bad thing to do and that way you'll never regret whatever decision you made because you would of made it well educated. :) You know I'm here for ya.

Isn't this a great website? We're very fortunate to have it and all the shared information good and bad. Hope you all are doing well and shrinking!

Everyone that's my bud Sherry! :) She's the one that turned me onto the band, and I love her dearly. Not for the band, just because she's great!!!! :)

Hi, I am nanaviv. I haven't been on in a long time because I didn't think I would get insurance coverage. But I just found out I have sleep apnea which I think will help. I have medicare and a supplement. Medicare said that for sleep apnea they will pay for bariatric surgery and probably lapband. Any people out there with experience with this. I am just starting the paperwork with Beth Israel also. Excited and nervous.

Hi! i was banded 7/25 at bidmc by Dr. Jones. i like him. the staff was great on the floor after sx and Angi, one of the nurses cameintosee me the next day. it's a teachinghospital so you will have a boatload of people n tocheck on you. my first follow upis 8/23. reading some of the posts is that late? also i noticed alot of people seem to eat more sooner, although i am fine so far, just craving a pizza! i'll keepyou informed if you want.

Hi, I am glad to hear from someone who went to Beth Israel. I am going to my first meeting Aug. 24th. How long did you stay in the hospital? How long was it from your first meeting to your surgery? How are you feeling? Thanks for responding. Nanaviv

Well, i went to my first info mtg in May. i got most of my appts done late june, met with surgeon july 12 and had sx july 25, although i think i was very lucky to get such a quickdate. i was home from the hospital by 4 or 4:30on wed. feeling ok not yet driving, ma roads suck so it helps to hold apillow to your tummy over the billions of potholes! keepme posted! :)

Wow, that is quick. I noticed you are much younger than me. That helps. Also, I will be traveling from Cape Cod. A long drive after surgery. But, I am way ahead of myself. I wish it was going to be tomorrow. I dread going back and forth to Boston. Where do you live? Are you on liquids? How long before you try soft foods? Thanks, Nanaviv

i live in wakefield, north of boston. i hate going into boston, too. ma drivers in general are insane. i'm on liquids, have been since sx. will be on them til my 1st appt, aug 23 so far it really hasn't bothered me much. except sun, my husband decided he needed to watch food network all day, i would have paid big bucks for a piece of pizza!:)

Thanks for all your help dezadoo. I will come on again after my first meeting, Aug 24th. Unless someone has any other advise. Nanaviv

Hi deezado,

Yes, please keep me informed of your progress! I have my psych visit and ultrasound tomorrow, and hoping to have my surgery on October 2nd. I have to find a good time for work, and this seems to be best.

But I have decided to use Dr Jones. I had a chance to meet him, and he is very, very nice.

Keep up the good work!

Chris