Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok...I keep seeing the term "sliming"....what is this?

Thanks!

Margie

sliming is when the saliva builds up in your esphogus and bubbles up into your upper throat or mouth. It's not a PB because it's not food. Sliming can be caused when you have food stuck to the point where your own saliva builds up and goes past your valve to the esphogus or you've eat too much and caused the same buildup. This sliming can lead to a PB though.....if that happens you really should try walking around to see if you can get the contents of your stomach to move to the lower part of your stomach. Sliming doesn't hurt...well it doesn't me anyway but, it does get you moving so you don't PB :eek:

I am delighted to find that "sliming" is something involved upstairs and not downstairs!

Margie....That is sooo funny! I would not have gotten the band if sliming was on the other end. There is a thread about that new fat blocker and the posters refer to it (the other end) as squeezins! YUCK! LOL

Good luck in bandland!

They put you on a specific two week diet before the surgery. The surgeon gives you the packet/info of what you can eat/amount etc....

Its a really strict diet but it gets you ready for the surgery!! :eek:

You have to go on a diet 2 weeks before the surgery? I never had to.. They only gave me a paper that said I need to "eat lightly" for the first 2 days before surgery and it gave some examples. Unless they've changed it since a few months ago o.o

Maybe a strict diet is a good thing! Either way, good luck ; )

DR. S is great!

I wasn't given a specific diet either maybe it depends on how much you've lost before your surgery date. They do ask that you lose 10 pounds before surgery to reduce the fatty liver so they can move it more easily to get to your stomach. The only "diet" they gave me was the two day before surgery one...that has you eating very lightly. I have read on this website site though several surgeons that do put their patients on strict diets before surgery. Kinda crazy in my opinion considering if it were that easy we would of done that already to lose weight.

yup and it's kinda crazy too because you go through this whole "last meal syndrom" and you can't even do that! but it's okay.. I ate a brownie the day before my surgery : ( .. Bad, I know. And I don't encourage it! It's just what I did.

Good god, I posted, made a spelling mistake and "tried" to fix it...remind me to NEVER do that again...I had to delete the whole darn post!

Anyway here's the shortened version...

Unjury powder - blech. Will take some getting used to...too sweet, and I'll have to drink it super cold through a straw.

8/6 - my doctor/nurse date will be here soon and I am excited.

That was the Cribb note versionn of the earlier message I had to delete.

Hope everyone had a happy & SAFE 4th of July.

Margie

Marge,

No need to suffer with bad tasting stuff! Try HMR or Optifast--order on line. It's expensive, but less than meals and snacks! Also you're worth it! Blend with ice and strawberries or such. You can also use as milk in fatfree, sugarfree pudding, instant or cooked. Also makes a super hot chocolate. HMR comes with great recipe book.

Lorna

Fenway Friend

Hey Guys !!!!

Anyone up for another get together? When did we go to the South SHore Plaza? Was that March/April??? Seems so looong ago~

Why haven't we gotten together people?!!!

Hope all is well

I'm going to see Jones on Wed 7/11. The scarey part is I think I'm too tight. I did some research around LBT. I haven't lost any weight since Jan. I got that fiasco fill in April and then the slight unfill the next day but, you know what? From the research I've done I think my esphogus has become desensitized and my band has been too tight. THATS why I can eat alot yet even though I had the fill. That would explain the reflux too because acid will definately build up in trying to get the food small enough to fit through the band. When I relax (start to fall asleep) my muscles in my esphogus relax and the liquid along with the acid comes up as if it's going to drown me. I shouldn't be able to eat the amounts of food I do sometimes and yet other times I can't eat much....but truly it explains alot so I'm going to mention it to Jones. This all got worse after my last fill and I'm exhausted from lack of sleep and I if I'm eating too much because the sensories are gone for when I'm full that would explain the lack of weight loss. I'm less nervous now thinking...that really is it. I'll let you know how I made out.

When was the last time we all got together anyway? It was quite a while ago that I know. I'd love to get together again!

I'm in for the get together!!!!!! How have you been aaamom? I would love to see everyone again!

Hi Sherry,

You're always so helpful to all; I hope Dr.J is hgelpfulto you!!! No weight loss since January surely is discouraging. I hope you get some answers.

My surgery with Dr. Jones is scheduled July 23. and exciting Certainly is scary. Wish I could this another way!

Lorna

Hi Lorna, Thanks for saying that. I really do feel that even if I'm going through something not so good that it might be helpful to others so if it happens to them they'll be familiar with it. I truly do love my band and I haven't regretted it one bit...well ok maybe when my mouth and throat are burning and keeping me up at night I might of said "what did I do?" but, truly its out of tiredness. Believe me when I say to you....before your actual surgery date you're going to go through stages that will drive you crazy. You'll cry, worry, wonder what the heck you're about to do to your body "just" to lose weight. The two days before my surgey I cried, wondering why couldn't I just lose this weight the regular "normal" way. Why did I have to add a foreign object to my body "just" to lose weight. Well ya know.....then I thought rationally, I was 42, 277 at 5'4'' and tired of being held back because of my weight. I tried 99% of all the diets out there with some that were CRAZIER than getting the band and they all failed! Soooo rationally I thought...Sherry, you diet great for 3 weeks hit a plateau for 2 then eat it all back plus because you're discouraged. The band isn't going to allow you to eat it all back in a few days, it would take alot of eating in small portions of rediculous caloric food to gain it all back and it would come back slow enough for you to gain control again. The band was that tool that would keep me going through those rough 2 weeks. So....that was it. I was having it done and I wasn't a failure for needing this tool to help me. I was giving myself a gift..."finally time for me". And let me tell ya, I never took time for me...still have a hard time doing that but, I did this FOR ME. As much as I'm going through a hard time at the moment, I know it will get better. I know without a doubt I'd do it again! I've been with this plateau now since January and I am hard on myself sometimes (that's when Chrispy reminds me about how far I've come and to cut myself some slack. You'll have friends here too that will do that :) ) I've lost between 72-75 depending on the time of the month lol and that's nothing to knock myself for. I really do need to give myself credit.

So good luck with your surgery! I'll be sure to let you folks know what I find out. I'm actually tempted to call BIDMC today because it was really bad last night and I think I really burned my throat and sinus cavity :) It's crazy and it needs to stop. If I get a total unfill and let things settle so be it. If I gain 5 or so because it's unfilled well it will come off again. I need to take care of this problem first then worry about losing weight again (thanks Chrispy...yeap she talked with me yesterday).

If I can help any of you with your journey please feel free to PM me or put it up on the boards and I'll respond. We can all learn from each other! HUGS