Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My pre-op diet is driving me insane!

5 days in 9 to go--and I'm hungry and can't stop thinking about food. Arrggh.

My doctor's diet:

Breakfast: Atkins Advantage low carb Protein shake or Isopure

Snack: 1 oz string cheese

Lunch: Atkins Advantage low carb Protein Shake or Isopure

Dinner: 4-6 oz lean meat and 1/2 cup non-carby vegetable.

64 oz water/day

I'm doing exactly what's written and I feel like Shoot Me Now how am I going to do this for 9 more days!:)

I actually wish I was on a pre-op diet, I hear so much about them on the forum and how important they are for shrinking the liver and I wonder why I'm not on one, and I'm not a "lightweight" either! I think I'm going to voluntarily go on a Liquid Protein diet the week before surgery.

OK, now that I've whined and moaned, I pulled out the info from the bariatric program and found the following: I can have a 1 cup salad in addition, and I can make my own dressing for it--woo! So I got up and went to the store, and got a brainstorm while I was there--I can season my meat any way I want--so why not with pico de gallo (chopped raw garlic, onion, Tomato, cilantro)? I'm getting excited about dinner. I picked up some asparagus that I'm going to dress with a ginger vinagrette. I just need to get over myself lol, and get creative with it!

5 days in 9 to go--and I'm hungry and can't stop thinking about food. Arrggh.

My doctor's diet:

Breakfast: Atkins Advantage low carb Protein shake or Isopure

Lunch: Atkins Advantage low carb Protein Shake or Isopure

Dinner: 4-6 oz lean meat and 1/2 cup non-carby vegetable.

64 oz water/day

I'm doing exactly what's written and I feel like Shoot Me Now how am I going to do this for 9 more days!:)

I feel your pain. I'm nine days pre-surgery, and I'm on a no-carb, no-sugar, no-caffeine clear liquid diet that started yesterday morning. I'm actually not obsessed with thoughts of food (at this point), but I've got this headache that will not quit. And I think I will hate Jello--no matter the flavor--from now into eternity!

Edited by WildIris

I am with you... my husband and I just started the liquid diet. Ugh.. Today has been a little rough. On a happy note thank you to the person who posted about getting the sugar free dasani syrups... the sugar free hazelnut with some ice and the muscle milk blended makes a world of difference. :biggrin0: One step at a time..

I took out some note cards and drew silly little pictures on them to remind me why I am doing this. I figure when I walk into another room it will be a nice reminder about the things I hope to gain. :)

Hang in there everyone! I am doing my best to do the same! :)

I did a week of Optifast shakes and clear drinks... no caffeine or bubbles. Its possible, and I can honestly say I didn't cheat once. I figured if hubby was prepared to pay the huge amount of money for my new life, the least I could do was my part and stick to my pre op.

It did me good sticking to it, if its any consolation... put my head in the right frame of mind for post op.

And I think I will hate Jello--no matter the flavor--from now into eternity!

LOL this is me, i dont think i can ever eat Jello again in my life!!!

The preop IS hard, but stick to your surgeons plan. Getting that liver to a safe size is crucial. Your surgery could be jeopardized if it isn't shrunk.

Your preop sounds pretty good to me. I had 2 Protein shakes a day and only one meal of ONLY Protein. No carbs.....for 2 weeks....and the day before surgery was only 3 liquid Protein Shakes. yuk.... But I was amazed the day of surgery and found that I had already lost 16 lbs. !!!!

But it well prepared me for what was to come after the surgery.

Hang in there....one meal at a time.

LOL this is me, i dont think i can ever eat Jello again in my life!!!

I tried an experiment last night, with the whole Jello thing. I have yet to check the fridge and see how it worked. What I did, is I got some of the unflavored Gelatin stuff, and dumped some Crystal Light powder into it. Put extra Gelatin in it, so it (hopefully) won't be so slimy. We'll see. When I'm more awake and feeling like 'eating Breakfast,' I'll test it out.

An interesting side-note: night-time has historically been a bad time for me getting the munchies, especially if I'm going through a bout of insomnia. I've started saving my jello and broth-making experiments for those nights, so I get the satisfaction of cooking, but the results are all a valid part of my liquid diet.

I'm on my fifth day now, and so far I've cheated exactly once: I chewed some Cloves gum. Astonishingly (to me), my only real food fantasies involve desperately fantasizing about crisp, cold, juicy, spicy radishes sprinkled with a little salt and lime juice. I told my surgeon about that one, and he laughed so hard he went into a coughing fit.

One other tip that has worked for me (and of course, your mileage may vary) is that I still work around having a mealtime schedule. I have to get 90+ grams of Protein per day, so I break it up into three shakes. Breakfast includes jello (if I can make myself eat it on any given day) with the shake. With the dinner Protein Shake, I drink hot chicken broth. "Dessert" is as many sugar-free popsicles as my little heart desires! During the day, it's just Water and more Water that I flavor just a tiny, tiny bit with lemon juice and Crystal Light.

Sounds like your getting the hang of it...CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Your willing to experiment staying within your guidelines. Be proud of yourself !!!

Learning to be the 'new version' of us and our thinking will make you successful.

GREAT JOB !!!

I tried an experiment last night, with the whole Jello thing. I have yet to check the fridge and see how it worked. What I did, is I got some of the unflavored Gelatin stuff, and dumped some Crystal Light powder into it. Put extra Gelatin in it, so it (hopefully) won't be so slimy. We'll see. When I'm more awake and feeling like 'eating breakfast,' I'll test it out.

I wanna hear how the crystal light gelatin worked out! :thumbup:

Did anyone cheat on their pre-op diet? I am supposed to be on a liquid diet for 2 weeks, but a few times in the first week I didn't follow it. I cheated with a veggie burger, some Beans, a couple of beers, a couple of glasses of wine but for this week prior to surgery - I am sticking to the all liquid (along with lettuce which they said I could have). I am worried that my other week where I was about half liquid/have eating will have an adverse effect on my surgery.

Did anyone cheat during their pre-op and have problems after surgery or vice-versa Did anyone cheat and have no problems?

I cheated because I got desperately hungry and couldn't stand it. Week one I had quite a bit of wine and buttered bread, and 1/2 wild rice at a restaurant. Week 2 I had 2 KFC biscuits (not on the same day) and some wine. Haven't cheated since, and didn't cheat on the clears diet the day before surgery.

I lost 18 lbs over that time. After the surgery I asked the doctor how my liver looked, and he said it was "small and healthy" and not a problem. Now, I'm not suggesting that anyone try to "work the system" by cheating because that's a bad habit to get into for later. I got sleeved on 7/14/10 and haven't cheated on the post op diet. Don't plan to.