Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can anyone help me out with my packing check list? Is there anything I would be sorry I didn't bring? Any advice

would be very welcome. I will be in Mexico noon on Monday, Tuesday, and leave Wednesday morning..

Here is a list I found. Is there anything else I need? Or

anything I really don't need?

NON-food ITEMS:

♦ Heating pad(12inx24in)

♦ Flexible ice pack (hot/cold 12inx16in)

♦ A few books or movies(your choice, I spent about 70.00us)

♦ Squishy pillow for car ride for seatbelt (shoulder pad)

♦ Make sure you have a good blender

♦ Kitchen timer (first few days, sip every 15 mins)(analog)

♦ Kitchen timer (digital ? better for travelling)

♦ Pedo-meter(depending on the one you get ? don?t forget to adjust to your stride)

PHARMACEUTICALS:

liquid Tylenol/Motrin (Check early in case pharmacy needs to order in advance)

chewable or liquid gas-x(I got strips, you will pay more than shown here)

♦ Gauze Pads 4x4

♦ Paper/bandage tape

♦ Wet Wipes

♦ Pill crusher

♦ Chewable Vitamins

♦ Hospital Medicine cups (I got 3oz/88ml cups ? 100ct)

♦ Cough Drops(Halls big box)

♦ Stool Softener (Dr. asked me not to get this, if needed talk to him)

♦ Moist and nice tasting Lip Balm

♦ Phazyme (for gas relief) of any simethicome base gas relief product

food ITEMS:

Protein shakes(these vary from 22 ? 55 dollars depending on quality and quantity)

♦ Plenty of water(bottled Water for me 3cases 16oz. bottles 10.00)

broth or stuff to make broth(several flavors but all about the same cost)

sugar free popsicles

sugar free Jello

♦ Sugar free breath mints (chewable)

♦ Crystal Light "On the GO" assorted flavors(I don?t like CL so I got store brand/price per

♦ box)

♦ Bouillon(several flavors but all about the same cost)

♦ Cream of Wheat

♦ Creamy Soups

♦ Applesauce

♦ FAT FREE yogurt

♦ Soup-at-Hand - Soups - for creamy stage

pudding cups (SF/FF) - helps w/ taking meds (got instant, more flavors, price per box)

♦ Sugar free hot cocoa

Decaf tea

CLOTHES POST-OP:

♦ Loose fitting, easily removable(one size larger than I wear, sweats, top and bottom)

♦ Buttons downs or pullover

♦ Thong shoes/slip-on so no bending and tying

♦ Sports Bra! Sutures will be hurt by under wires

Wow, that was like, the most comprehensive packing list ever! Awesome! I just got my surgery date and I am going to cut and paste and print this list out, it's perfect!

Great list! Did you find you needed all those things in the day or two after surgery? Did you feel well enough to walk around anywhere for short bits? There is someplace we want to go see and I am hoping that by the 3rd day after surgery I might feel well enough to go. Is this a pipedream? I had an ovary removed a few years ago and I would have felt good enough after that, so I'm wondering how similar things might be.

I just found that list and thought I would post it for everyone. I was hoping some that has already gone could let mr know just that. "Do I need everything on this list or is there something I should add?"

I will be getting my sleeve July 12, 2010 at Star Medica Hospital with Dr. Jose Rodriguez in Juarez, Mexico. Yes but my BMI is between 30-40 so I only have to do the diet for a week instead of two weeks. This weekend is my last weekend before starting my pre-op diet on Monday and since it is 4th of July weekend I'm going to make the most of it. To bed honest I find myself not wanting to eat as much junk food now, I am finally just ready for this change! How is everyone doing on their pre-op diet yet? Anyone find some low card shakes that they like? I am so happy and so scared at the same time! I know that sounds weird but I don't know how else to explain it. I can't wait to hear how everyone's day goes!

Here is the letter they sent me abou my pre-op diet:

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

In the obese, the liver is a huge, fatty organ. It is ?in the way? of the surgical area during Sleeve/band surgery, and must be held back with surgical instruments. An enlarged liver is very fragile and bleeds quite easily when touched or manipulated during surgery. This bleeding can be difficult to control, and the extra care required with an enlarged liver increases surgical risk, as well as surgical time. Longer surgical time and extended time under general anesthesia can make both immediate and longer-term recovery much more difficult for you. An especially large and fragile liver has even caused some sleeve/band surgeries to be cancelled, for the safety of the patient.

Following this Pre-Op Diet is extremely important. The goal is not to lose weight, necessarily, but to enter a temporary period of dietary ketosis, which is not harmful to you at all. However, many do lose a good amount of weight, which will jump-start your sleeve weight loss as you begin to regain and improve your health. It is this dietary ketosis that results in liver-shrinking and the normalizing of your metabolism so that you can do well with the sleeve

Pre-Op Diet:

Start with*proper Protein sources (no less than 20 grams of Protein per serving with 6 total grams of carbohydrates or less and 6 grams of saturated fats or less per serving), keep a close eye on the fat intake (don?t over do it).* Some choices are lean chicken, turkey, fish,*fresh fruits and vegetables, sugar free jell-o, pudding, Beans.* Please include fresh fruit at least 2 times a day.

PLEASE eat *only* solid protein! Choose only a piece of chicken, a lean steak, a hard-boiled egg, or some low-fat cheese. PLEASE: NO mayo, BBQ Sauce, ketchup, sweets, junk food, cereals, or anything else.* Even the smallest amount of non-protein, carb-laden food can take you out of ketosis and easily negate many day?s worth of the low carbs that are so greatly decreasing your surgical risk.

Those that choose to use a Protein shake, please read the labels. You should try to choose a Protein Shake with*between*20-30 grams of Protein, less than 6 grams of total Carbohydrates, and less than 6 grams of saturated fat per serving.**

Count only the NET CARBS that are on the label, not the ?total? carbs. Please eat and drink NOTHING that is not clearly labeled as to net carb content. With some products, the ?Net Carbs? are called ?Impact Carbs? or ?Effective Carbs?.

Protein Shakes are NOT required, but are very convenient. These are just some of the brands that have the correct protein/carb/sat fat ratio:

Iso Pure, Slim Fast LOW CARB,* Designer whey

Your local GNC or other nutrition store will have a variety of drinks and bars to try. We suggest getting one each of several kinds to try before you buy a larger quantity, so you can find some you really like.

Do a web search for ?low-carb Protein Bars? and compare costs, grams of protein, and grams of Net carbs. Online sources are often much less expensive than those found in local stores, and the shipping is often free.

We feel that the Atkins ADVANTAGE and ENDULGE Protein Bars are excellent, with about 3-4 grams of Net Carbs per bar, but there are several other brands that are fine.

Watch out for things that you would normally not consider food! You must also have NONE of the following things that are full of sugar:

? chewing gum with sugar or carb sweetener

? breath mints

? cough Syrup

? hard candy and cough drops.