Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Explain Pre diet without explaining the sleeve

I don't want the friend I live with and nanny for to know about my sleeve. She is a great friend BUT has no understanding on how to keep something like this to herself. I have my week before diet and then I will leave for two weeks. Three days in Mexico and then a week and a half at my sister's to recover. Do I just tell the half truth that I'm trying a new diet? How do I keep her from knowing after I come home? Will I have the scars for life? Is 13 days long enough time to heal? I care for her three boys five days a week that are ages 5, 4, and 3.. I have to start the liquid diet a week from today! I can't believe how much my life is going to change two weeks from now July 12, 2010!

If this is someone who will notice what you do/don't eat, just say that you are working on a new healthy diet. It's true and she doesn't need to know anything more than that. As far as scars, they are really small and generally fade quickly. Working shouldn't be an issue, but remember you are restricted as to how much you can lift, so try not to pick up the little ones if you don't have to. Best of luck on your surgery, keep us posted.

I agree that saying you are trying a new diet should be sufficient. Assuming that you look overweight like the rest of us do preop, what reason would she have to not believe you? :thumbup:

As for post op, it's hard to say if 13 days will be enough recovery time for a job like yours that involves a lot of moving. It's very individual I imagine. I don't think I could do it based on my experience, but others have. I would just be prepared that if you're not feeling significatly better by day 7 or 8 to contact her and make some alternate arrangements so that you can have time to heal properly. The last thing you need to do is pull an incision or strain something internally trying to chase around after some active little kids. My ONE is running me in circles!

I told people I was on a liquid detox boost diet.. no caffeine/booze etc.... no one really questioned it. They knew I was on a diet anyway (was at WW since November 2009) and I just said I was stalling having had guests etc and a wedding to go to... so this was my way of kickstarting myself again - thus preparing for the long term diet....

I also have up my sleeve (forgive the pun) an excuse of hypnotherapy cds, and a couple of slimming therapy books....

My scars are healing nicely - and I think will fade to virtually nothing. Just take are of them during the healing process. I can also say that at 2 weeks I felt back to normal again with much more energy.

Good luck!

Kathy