Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shape-Ups by Skechers

I've seen the commericals and the ads in magazines for the shoes called Shape-ups by Skechers. The ad states they are designed to help burn more calories, tone muscles, and improve posture.... etc. Sounds to good to be true to me. My question is has any one bought them and do they do what they are suppose to do? In my opinion they are some ugly ass shoes....... but I'm willing to purchase them if they do what they are advertised to do. Holla back.

Deb

I have a girlfriend that swears by them. She's been wearing them for 3 months, and I admit, her hiney is looking pretty nice. She's pregnant and can't work out excessively, but she wanted to walk as much as she could. She also said it helped with the appearance of her cellulite. Now, I haven't seen her butt, or upper thighs, but she swears by them. I'm getting a pair next month when they are going on sale at our military mall. I'm going to get the cute white pair. I saw my friend's and they really don't look that hideous when wearing straight leg jeans.

Hi. I was walking in the mall one morning and i went inside "Romm-Rack shoes to browse and they caught my eyes . A couple was there trying on a pair, so I asked them what the thought of the shoe and they said they were excellent!! This was her husbands 2nd pair and she was buying her first pair...they are expensive and well worth it ( i hear) I am going to get me a pair next month also. I know when I walk in regular shoes and I land on my heal and push off on my heal . i can feel the burn in my legs ,butt and calves... I know the shoes were designed to target those areas . They are ugly as all outdoors... LOL but I think I will invest in a pair.:)

oh yeah the husband in the store said he had gastric bypass surgery and he had lost over 150 lbs and he looked GREAT!! He said it had been 2 years since surgery but he walks 3 miles daily in those shoes. and he is so happy he had a pair. these people were amazing ... we talked a long time about surgery and foods. I was only 3 weeks op and he had so much info for me ..

People do swear by them! I wanted to get some, but they didn't come in wide enough widths. I ended up going with New Balances version (just as well, 'cause generally I don't wear anything but NBs anyway), and I love them. It's like walking on marshmallows, so comfy! I wore them to work for about 3 weeks before actually going out and taking a walk in them, and boy could I tell... I definitely feel it more in my butt and hamstrings. I'll get them again!

The "real" shoes are MBT's they have been around for quite a while(they cost $200-250) Sketchers doesn't have the same technology but it is most likely pretty close? (I tried the Sketchers and they come no where close to my MBT's)

Dee

I wear the Reebok Easytone and they do work. When I started a job after 16 years, I would wear them to work sometimes and because they overwork the calf, they would start to knot up with charlie horses. That didn't happen when I wore regular shoes. Plus, they aren't as ugly as the MBTs or Sketchers. The soles use a technology similar to a Bosu ball. They are comparable in price to Sketchers. Also, I have a pair of sandals that look like normal sandals...pretty gold color that matches all!

This may not be popular to say, but I work for a footwear manufacturer and am "in" with the designer. She says it is a gimmick more than anything. The most important part of shoes is the support and cushion, and that they fit YOUR foot correctly. Take it for what it is worth. I don't mean to slam anyone who swears by a particular brand at all. :001_wub:

The most important part of shoes is the support and cushion, and that they fit YOUR foot correctly. :)

And that's exactly what I'm hoping for, so no offense at all:-) Due to the different activities I do for exercise I like different shoes for different purposes. I usually have a couple pairs of studio shoes going, and a pair of walking/running shoes, which I try to rotate out every 4-6 months. I really have been needing a good pair of supportive walking shoes that work without socks...it's been so hot here, so I hope these fit the bill.

This may not be popular to say, but I work for a footwear manufacturer and am "in" with the designer. She says it is a gimmick more than anything. :thumbup:

You might call them a gimmick, but since my 6/10/10 surgery, I have walked every day. Yesterday I walked in my Reebok Easytones for the same distance that I have been walking every day and this morning I woke up with sore calves, hamstrings and butt. I'm just saying...

I bought the FILA brand and so far I can't complain. I ride the Park and Ride and walk to and from the bus stop. I think they are great, of course I paid $29.99 at Ross instead of $99 at Sketchers. I can feel the difference. When I exercise, I use the FILAs (great workout). I recommend them but shop around, there are several other brands out there that cost less.

I'm glad you ordered a pair. Yes,please share with us what you think of them. What color did you order? Thanks.

Deb

I ordered and received the white/silver ones. If you're looking for a good place for online ordering, Zappos is great because they have free shipping to and from and you have up to a year to return.

The shoes are wonderful! I can honestly say they are the most comfortable, supportive walking shoe that I've worn in a long time (if not ever). Now I have to say I've only taken 1 walk in them so far, about 1.5 miles, at a leisurely pace because this week I've had a couple of the most grueling exercise days of my life (Jazzercise audition and training) and wanted to just do something a little different. I was able to comfortably wear them without socks in humid mid-80's weather.

As for the "shaping up" part, not so sure. I didn't feel any soreness or discomfort in any part of my legs or butt...all I felt was very supportive comfort, which was what I was hoping for.

Overall, I'd rate the shoe 5 stars for comfort and support. Here are a couple of pictures to show how they look on the feet, yes a bit clunky, but so worth it:thumbup:

post-292-13813655897122_thumb.jpg

BTW - Kudos on the great gams! I can tell you are at where I aspire to be, i.e., at or below target weight!!!

Terrie