Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

discomfort in chest while drinking....

i'm only 2 days out, but i find that i have to force myself to drink.

did anyone else have discomfort while they drank Water / protien drinks / or other stuff?

the feeling doesn't last long - maybe 10 seconds or so.

i'm a revision patient (from band) and i dont remember having this feeling after i had the band.

just curious if others had the same feelings right after surgery and how long it lasted.

i hope it doesn't last long because i'm not getting all my protien / fluids in yet. i'm maybe just getting half.

Are you taking the PPI medicine? That could make the difference.

I had the same 'pressure' in my system for the first few days too but this goes away. Just don't gulp or chug any fluids .. sip sip sip!

Your Fluid intake is something you have to build up to but keep it up, take it easy and you will get there. I don't think I was able to get in my full daily fluids for about a week but still, I did the best I could. Good luck .. it will get better.

Are you taking the PPI medicine? That could make the difference.

I had the same 'pressure' in my system for the first few days too but this goes away. Just don't gulp or chug any fluids .. sip sip sip!

Your Fluid intake is something you have to build up to but keep it up, take it easy and you will get there. I don't think I was able to get in my full daily fluids for about a week but still, I did the best I could. Good luck .. it will get better.

what is the PPI medicine?

PPI means 'proton pump inhibitor' .. like Prilosec (omeprazole). It helps eliminate any acids in your stomach and if you suffer from acid reflux, this is very important. From what I understand, all sleeve patients take this for at least three months post-op during the healing phase.

I have never had acid reflex before or after but I still take it but anticipate this will end in about a month's time.

PPI means 'proton pump inhibitor' .. like Prilosec (omeprazole). It helps eliminate any acids in your stomach and if you suffer from acid reflux, this is very important. From what I understand, all sleeve patients take this for at least three months post-op during the healing phase.

I have never had acid reflex before or after but I still take it but anticipate this will end in about a month's time.

i was taking prilosec before surgery due to acid reflux due to problems with my band. but my doctor drained my band a few weeks before surgery and the acid reflix stopped. my doctor didn't mention anything to me about starting it again. should i start taking it again even though i dont have acid reflux symptoms?

Well, you should check with your doctor. I don't want to assume that everyone takes it post-op but from what I have read here, most are prescribed this drug. It wouldn't hurt to ask .. you never know.

I don't know of many sleevers here that are not taking a PPI of some kind for reflux. I take Zantac twice a day and I know it when I forget to take it.

Also, it took me quite a while to work up to getting all my fluids and Protein in, you have to just keep working at it slowly.

Best of luck!

Dear eloquent blue,

Can you tell me of your sleeve story and the cost at Pugent Sound ? I have a Lapband and want to have it removed to get a (VGS) Vertical Gastric Sleeve, but I want an excellent, experienced surgeon.

I am private pay and i may have to go back to Mexico to get this done, but I would prefer going to Pugent Sound.

What can you tell me about your experiences, your procedure, your MD ?

Peace, Sara *note: Love your saying at the bottom of your page.

Hi Sara. I had written a 3-month update in July so I will provide the link and you can read about my experience so far.

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/vertical-sleeve-gastrectomy-surgery-vsg-success-stories/7704-3-month-update.html

Since I wrote that, I have lost 97 pounds and 7 sizes.

I had a straight sleeve done (no revision) so the cost will probably vary. You will need to contact them for details on the cost but I hope that isn't your driving force. PSSC were excellent and treated me very well and they still do. They have a two-year program to follow your nutrition and fitness goals.

My surgery was done by Dr. Peter Billing and he was wonderful .. I can't say enough about him. If you google him or Dr. Robert Landerholm (another one of the WLS surgeons), you will find a lot of positive information on both.

Hope this helps and good luck in your journey.

Dear eloquent blue,

Can you tell me of your sleeve story and the cost at Pugent Sound ? I have a Lapband and want to have it removed to get a (VGS) Vertical Gastric Sleeve, but I want an excellent, experienced surgeon.

I am private pay and i may have to go back to Mexico to get this done, but I would prefer going to Pugent Sound.

What can you tell me about your experiences, your procedure, your MD ?

Peace, Sara *note: Love your saying at the bottom of your page.

did anyone else have discomfort while they drank Water / protien drinks / or other stuff?

i'm a revision patient (from band) and i dont remember having this feeling after i had the band.

just curious if others had the same feelings right after surgery and how long it lasted.

i hope it doesn't last long because i'm not getting all my protien / fluids in yet. i'm maybe just getting half.

I'm 13 days out! YES I had that horrible pain you are speaking of. I even had to spend an extra night in the hospital because I wasn't getting enough fluids in because of the pain. I can tell you it does go away, but it takes time. It finally went away for me this week.

I'm a week out and have the same pain, but only when I take too big of sips of liquid. Yesterday, I started getting sharp back pain, that was worse then the chest pain though. I am having a hard time getting all of my liquids, and Protein down also. I am with you I am only getting half. So you are not alone. I try hard, but I just can't do it.