Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have IBS or PCS?

Anyone have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) w/urgency, not Constipation or PCS (Post Cholestectomy Syndrome - Post Gallbladder Removal) before being banded? Did it improve? The type of IBS I have is not the kind where you CAN'T go, it's when you HAVE to go. The removal of my gallbladder made it even worse. Some days I GO everytime I eat anything. I've learned to live with it and it's not that big of a deal. However, you guys talk a lot about being constipated, so I was wondering if the IBS would improve and I'd become "normal" or if it would swing the other way and I'd be blocked or if by some chance it would get even worse:omg: . It won't effect my decision at all, I'm just curious.

Thanks,

Melissa

Hi. I also developed this post GB removal, which was a few years before my band was placed. It is certainly life changing. I struggled everyday with it and avoided eating at work because I work the assembly line for GM. And the more anxious you get the worse it gets. Forget trying to travel, unless you bring a portapotty with you. Then I pigged out when I got home and could "go" when I needed to. I think this "helped" with alot of the weight gain in the last few years before the band.

I think the band helped a little bit. It could have been simply because I was eating alot less and healthier food. The band doesn't change your system at all, except the banded part so I don't think it helped me more than a little bit. What did help me was medication. I had an anxiety disorder which made the IBS much worse. I think I was on Clonazapam. I think.

What has almost cured my IBS? My Duodenal switch bypass I got when I had my band removed after 3 years. I go 2 -3 times first thing in the morning depending on what I ate the day before (if I stay low fat 1 time) and don't have an issue at all for the rest of the day. I can eat at any time. I no longer have to search out the bathroom as soon as I arrive somewhere, or determine if I can go somewhere depending on if they have a bathroom or if I will have to stand in line. (which as you know sometimes is NOT an option.)

Ok. That's my experience, for what it's worth. I feel for you. I know how it is.

I had my gallbladder removed 13 years ago and got my Lapband one month ago. Once I made it past the liquid phase, I have been more "regular" than I was when I had my gallbladder.

I can go out now without wondering if I should use the bathroom before leaving the restaurant or wherever else I happen to be.

This has been a definately positive "side effect" of being banded that I did not even think about.

Melissa, good question; I also have IBS of the "gotta go right now" variety. I asked my surgeon the same question and he stated that IBS is irritated by overeating and the reduction of intake alone would improve this condition. I've been suffering through the same thing you mentioned for so long it's kind of become 'old hat' for me too, but wouldn't it be nice to have it gone? :girl_hug:

I'm newly banded, but the minute I stopped solids I go rid of the "gotta go now" syndrome. I have IBS and PCS. It has been WONDERFUL. I hope the improvement keeps up. Not having emergency bathroom trips is so nice.

I had severe IBS with urgency pre-Band and having a Band helped a lot. I guess because it slowed down the food and how it entered the bowel. Prior to that I was on Levsin, Immodium, etc.

I also suffer with this and have for many years. I've learned what foods will most likely trigger an attack and avoid them. I'm hoping the band helps with this. My doctor's wouldn't let me do gastric bypass several years ago because of IBS, but they like the band. Only time will tell.

Thanks for all the responses! I'm happy to hear that most of you have had some improvement. I had my boys' first communion this weekend and the stress of the brunch, etc. had me running to the ladies room. Bummer.

I have my seminar with the surgeons office tomorow - hope all goes well. My husband is supportive, but he's 6'3" and just lost 20 pounds in three weeks cheating on South Beach. He only gains weight because he loves sugar - it's never too much out of control for him so he doesn't really "get it". He loves me no matter what, but I know he'd rather I looked like I did when we met - thin and curvy in all the right places. I know I'd rather me that way!

:P

Anyone have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) w/urgency, not Constipation or PCS (Post Cholestectomy Syndrome - Post Gallbladder Removal) before being banded? Did it improve? The type of IBS I have is not the kind where you CAN'T go, it's when you HAVE to go. The removal of my gallbladder made it even worse. Some days I GO everytime I eat anything. I've learned to live with it and it's not that big of a deal. However, you guys talk a lot about being constipated, so I was wondering if the IBS would improve and I'd become "normal" or if it would swing the other way and I'd be blocked or if by some chance it would get even worse:omg: . It won't effect my decision at all, I'm just curious.

Thanks,

Melissa

Hello, US friends! I'm in Australia and I've was banded 2 weeks ago, having had IBS for years and a fatty liver. I was recommended for banding, although my IBS was 32, because of the health problems I suffer from the fatty liver. My bowels have gone ballistic, despite Immodium and all liquid diet. The only positive outcome is that now I'm an IBS of 29. The surgeon is at a loss and I hope that once I get onto solids I'll improve. Any-one else had this problem?

hi everyone im new im going to be seeing the doctor who dose the lap band but i have ibs will they still do it?

I have this same issue. If you haven't tried this already, I'd highly recommend doing an 'exclusion diet' for a couple weeks. Search IBS and Exclusion Diet online and you will find different versions. By going through this process, I learned that I have some lactose intolerance and also some intolerance to wheat. I can have a little of either, but am better if I avoid these or take lactaid w/any dairy product. It turns out that its very common that dairy and wheat can cause or aggravate this form of IBS.