Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pros and cons and life changing commitments

This is a really touchy subject for most people, but I'm going to stick my neck out....

We researched weight loss surgeries for ten years. During that time, I learned a LOT about the Roux-en-Y (also called R-Y) Gastric Bypass (also called simply, Gastric Bypass), Mini-Gastric Bypass, Lap Band, the Fobi Pouch, Vertical Gastrectomy, Duodenal Switch etc., etc... I also learned a LOT about weight-loss drugs, methods, exercise, the science and treatment of obesity, ad nauseum.

Here's my conclusion: chronic overweight, in many cases, acts more like a disease than anything else. Think of it as a Syndrome: a collection of symptoms, conditions, actions and reactions that culminate into a similar pattern of result we call Obesity.

If you are at the point where you are considering surgery to treat your overweight, please, please, PLEASE do your research. Ask all the questions. Verify the answers.

After exhaustive research, I have to say that the two most effective procedures BY FAR are the Vertical Gastrectomy, and the Duodenal Switch.

The mortality, morbidity, and overall success (of losing excess weight and KEEPING IT OFF) rates blow away every other surgery being offered today.

This biggest 'pros' are that your valves and structures stay in place - so afterward you can have a cheesburger, a beer, a soda, pizza, nuts, chips, whatever. You just can't have that much of it. For the rest of your life you only absorb 10% of the fat you consume (so go ahead and eat that rib-eye steak).

The 'cons' are that is is a more technically demanding, and more expensive surgery - your surgeon must be skilled - versus the R-en-Y, Lap Band, etc. For instance, a typical R-en-Y patient is in-and-out in about an hour. A Duodenal Switch (or DS) patient takes on average 3.5-4 hours.

From an economic standpoint, it's no wonder relatively few have heard of the DS. A less-skilled surgeon can do two or three R-en-Y's in the same time it takes a more-skilled surgeon to do one!

I could go on and on about this, but here's my point: weight loss surgery is a very serious life-changing decision. Do all the research so that at the end of the day, you choose the right procedure for you.

Edited by blahblah
wrong link

It sounds like you are talking more about the DS than the Sleeve. I've never heard that Sleeve patients only absorb 10% of the fat. And my surgery was less than 1 hour.

This is a really touchy subject for most people, but I'm going to stick my neck out....

We researched weight loss surgeries for ten years. During that time, I learned a LOT about the Roux-en-Y (also called R-Y) Gastric Bypass (also called simply, Gastric Bypass), Mini-Gastric Bypass, Lap Band, the Fobi Pouch, Vertical Gastrectomy, Duodenal Switch etc., etc... I also learned a LOT about weight-loss drugs, methods, exercise, the science and treatment of obesity, ad nauseum.

Here's my conclusion: chronic overweight, in many cases, acts more like a disease than anything else. Think of it as a Syndrome: a collection of symptoms, conditions, actions and reactions that culminate into a similar pattern of result we call Obesity.

If you are at the point where you are considering surgery to treat your overweight, please, please, PLEASE do your research. Ask all the questions. Verify the answers.

After exhaustive research, I have to say that the two most effective procedures BY FAR are the Vertical Gastrectomy, and the Duodenal Switch.

The mortality, morbidity, and overall success (of losing excess weight and KEEPING IT OFF) rates blow away every other surgery being offered today.

This biggest 'pros' are that your valves and structures stay in place - so afterward you can have a cheesburger, a beer, a soda, pizza, nuts, chips, whatever. You just can't have that much of it. For the rest of your life you only absorb 10% of the fat you consume (so go ahead and eat that rib-eye steak).

The 'cons' are that is is a more technically demanding, and more expensive surgery - your surgeon must be skilled - versus the R-en-Y, Lap Band, etc. For instance, a typical R-en-Y patient is in-and-out in about an hour. A Duodenal Switch (or DS) patient takes on average 3.5-4 hours.

From an economic standpoint, it's no wonder relatively few have heard of the DS. A less-skilled surgeon can do two or three R-en-Y's in the same time it takes a more-skilled surgeon to do one!

I could go on and on about this, but here's my point: weight loss surgery is a very serious life-changing decision. Do all the research so that at the end of the day, you choose the right procedure for you.

To read more, go here: Weight Loss Surgery in San Francisco. They have a pretty exstensive site the explains a lot about the weight loss surgeries offered today. They are a doctor's office; they do specialize in DS. So far, the DS patient I know has lost 280lbs in two years, been cured of diabetes and high blood pressure, and both he and his wife are very, very very happy.

Good luck!

There's a great forum on obesityhelp.com for DS patients and those that are researching that specific procedure. If you'd like to solicit business for this particular surgical group, you may want to find a DS site similar to this one, or visit the OH forum.

I appreciate your desire to have everyone do their research, but this sounds like a push for this particular group of surgeons that perform DS. They probably are great surgeons, and congrats to your friend that has had DS with great success. I've lost more than 140lbs in less than a year with VSG, and zero malabsorption. Oh yeah, and I lost it with eating ribeye steak and my cholesterol, and other labs are picture perfect.

With DS, patients malabsorb more than just 10% of their fat intake. If we're going to tout all the good of a particular surgery, let's be real honest and disclose some of the disadvantages as well. Vitamin and nutrient deficiencies are common even for some of those that are very diligent with their vitamin/supplement regimen. I've read plenty of personal experiences showing that not all DS patients get to goal, or maintain their loss either. So, it's not foolproof. Each patient that chooses to have any of the weight loss surgeries must make a lifestyle change, and deal with their food demons. None of us can rely on our surgery to do all of the work.

thanks Tiffykins,

I dont have a preference at all for any particular DS group. I was just giving out information from my friends who have done it. I also have interest in other clinics and am open to doing all the research I can based on referrals of those who have first hand knowledge and opinion. See betterbytheday on this forum. She has some really interesting links and number for a NEW sleeving process that I find very interesting.

Thank you for posting...and good luck...its exciting to see progress.

thank you and yes i agree with you a lot on "do your research" . . i know a bunch of people who just "jump" into all these lap band, roux en y surgeries without much knowledge and then are shocked at the work that goes into it, or the after math of depression and other things. . .it's not easy no matter how you cut it (excuse the pun) it still takes a lot of effort and work on your part. . .