Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Cottam in Salt Lake City doing Sleeve Plication for less than $6500

Dear Blah Blah,

Please know that I never said that staples are the worst thing to do, I don't feel that way at all, I am actually encouraging my best girlfriend to get the vertical sleeve with the staples for she has to go through an insurance company and will have to wait years for the plication to be covered. After the initial healing is done there is very little difference in lifestyle between the two. I was not sure about the staples setting off alarms I just knew that I didn't want to take that chance as I couldn't undo it once done. Security is difficult enough without adding to it. That was a choice based on my work. Some people reject things in their body more than others, I had the band and other than the slip, I had absolutely no problems with it while others did.

When I saw my flouro after the surgery I seemed to have a pouch at the top of my stomach rather than a straight up and down sleeve that looks like a stovepipe. What I think happened is that my Dr. just stitched the part of my stomach past where my band restricted and left the original pouch there. I can currently eat probably 2-3 oz more than those that were not revision or plications from what I've read on the site. This leads me to believe that my weight loss will be slower than usual, but I'm so new out (a month) I can't really establish a pattern. The comfort level is so much better than the band, you feel full but I haven't had the watery eyes, excess salivating wanting to throw up feeling I had with the band, so for that, I'm grateful. My choices on food are greater, I could eat no meat with the band, but that was because mine had slipped early on.

I'm not a typical plication patient as I'm a revision. Perhaps there will be others on the forum that started with fresh stomachs, they would be the ones to really ask about it. Good luck on whatever you decide,

BBTD

BBTD

Thank you for your post. I understand what you mean now. i did have the band so I am not so fresh.

I have a lot of work to do but the closer i get to my goal looking more like Betty Page the better. I can't wait to melt into the real thing after I lose the weight. Right now I do well at the events being Betty like I look now.

So it will be worth it when I get the sleeve and can work as a Betty double in films and tv appearances like America's Got Talent. i was so close until my band slipped.

Good luck to you too we all have a dream to get on with.... :thumbup:

BlahBlah,

Do let me know when and where you're having your surgery so I can cheer you on. If you're a coffee drinker and you go down to Mexico, bring liquid aspirin as it was hell getting anything for the headache I had by the third day without my morning coffee. Don't pack a lot as you won't need it, and you'll have to carry it afterwards... That's great about your Betty Page gig, she has lots of devoted fans so I'm sure you'll do well, and once your weight is down, you'll be booked solid.

Keep us updated on your progress.

BBTD

Not being rude, but it seems as if you need to do a little more research on both procedures.

Does anyone know anymore details about this surgery? Do you have to go and see Dr Cottam ahead of the surgery or can you go have an appt with him, all the tests and get the surgery at the same time.Is this outpatient surgery? Just wondering how many trips might be needed.

Thanks

Does anyone know anymore details about this surgery? Do you have to go and see Dr Cottam ahead of the surgery or can you go have an appt with him, all the tests and get the surgery at the same time.Is this outpatient surgery? Just wondering how many trips might be needed.

Thanks

Give the office a call, Dr Cottam is a wonderful, kind, great surgeon (801) 746-2885) , he will not pressure you either, if you are not right for the surgery or have questions he is great, he will also refer you to another surgeon if you end up wanting a different surgery type in your area. I am sure they will work with you, Sandee in the office is great and she will take some info and have Dr Cottam call you back. Being long distant you can have the bulk of the work done before you get there locally. They also have a discount for out of town patients at a local hotel that I believe will take you and pick you up from the hospital, airport etc, free shuttle service to these places, since the hospital is so close, just mention you are one of Dr Cottam's patients to get the discount, so you don't have to get a car. the hotel is

Crystal Inn

230 West 500 South

Salt Lake City, Utah 84101

good luck with picking the surgery that is right for you.....

Mila

I had this surgery 7 days ago in Tijuana, Mexico with Dr. Corvala. As far as surgery is concerned and having to pay, I don't think I could have picked a better Dr. and facility.

I feel great, still on liquids and the Dr.'s office is pretty prompt to respond to any questions or concerns.

All my pre-op testing was done the day before surgery and my post of will be done by my local PCP unless something dramatic happens.

I am energized and feel almost back to normal. I have a little gurguling and gas pains still , but walking takes care of all of it......

Seriously I feel good, today I did 45 minutes on elliptical....

I weight tomorrow so I'll let you all know how it goes!

CKNorte..how long were you in the hospital and in Mexico? Thanks...also thanks Mila for the info you posted.

I flew down last Wednesday afternoon. Got to San Diego at about 5:30pm, the Angeles Hospital Driver picked me up at baggage check and drove directly to the hospital. I flew in later in the afternoon so I could check into the hospital the night before. I was done with pre-op testing and settled in my hospital room in Tijuana by 7:30pm.

I went to bed, the next morning they started my IV, put on my awesome compression hose (the worst part of the whole thing) and I was in surgery around noon on Thursday. I was back in my room around 4pm, and started walking around 6:30.

That night was hard, I was in pain more like severe indigestion than "real" pain, I don't know what I was expecting. they gave me some good pain meds and I slept almost all night.

I had a flouroscopy test Friday morning, was cleared for liquids (clear) and kept walking.

Friday I took a shower, felt like a "new" woman, somehow makes you feel human again. All day I felt gradually better.

I was released from hospital Saturday morning. The driver took me back to San Diego, where I met my husband and we started the drive home, around 7 hours.......

Not bad, and the drive home wasn't as "hard" or "hard at all" for that matter..

I have pictures of the hospital room on my blog...

Fat Woman on a Mission

There is definitely some language challenges if you don't speak Spanish, I am bilingual so it wasn't a problem for me. But the staff knows basic English, and are really good at trying to make out what you are saying, or signing out (lots of pointing and stuff) questions. All of the other bariatric patients there did not speak English and weren't complaining at all. I felt really cared for. They let you sleep at night and don't come in unless you beep them, and then they are there within seconds.....it has been one of the "best" hospital experiences in my life....I went by myself and was in the hospital by myself, I had no issues at all.

Hi, I am researching to find my surgeon for Gastric Plication. Any info that you can tell me about Dr. Cottam would be great! Does any one know how many of these he has done? I would be coming from the FL panhandle area.

krystal, i opted for the plication as it didn't require removal of the stomach or staples, the staples could have possibly presented problems for me going through security at airports and i am a flight attendant, so that was definitely a concern. Dr. Cottam is one of only 3 american doctors doing the plication here in the states. If i had known about his pricing at the time of my surgery i would have definitely gone to him. As for my surgery done down in mexico by dr. Corvala, i feel his sutures are not as nice and neat as they could be, they're stitched and i prefer them glued as was done when i had the lapband. I am still on slider type foods and eating less but they are not necessarily light on calories, but i am not feeling the plication i had to be very tight, but the foods i'm eating currently are easily digestible and move through quickly. I will have to wait a bit to see really how much i can eat before feeling full. I'm sorry i haven't been much help to you in this but it's still early for me to see big results, i lost much weight on the liquids but not that i'm able to eat more substantial foods, i've stopped actually losing, which is alright for the time being but i'm hoping the weight loss resumes here soon. Let me know what you actually decide, i'll keep an eye out for your progress.

b

hi there i am going to get my surgery the plication with dr. Corvala as well,if you dont mind me asking what was your experience down there? I am nervous but here really good things, how long has it been since your surgery, do you feel the plication yet? Do you still get hungry fast? You can email mail me i would love to hear from you! sisterlisa@live.com

lisa~

As a clinical professional in Dr. Cottam's office, I would like to clarify the pricing for the sleeve plication (gastric imbrication), it is now $13,000 for everything. Dr. Cottam is no longer waiving his surgeon fee. Please contact our office if you have any questions.

Krystal, I opted for the plication as it didn't require removal of the stomach or staples, the staples could have possibly presented problems for me going through security at airports and I am a flight attendant, so that was definitely a concern. Dr. Cottam is one of only 3 American doctors doing the plication here in the states. If I had known about his pricing at the time of my surgery I would have DEFINITELY gone to him. As for my surgery done down in Mexico by Dr. Corvala, I feel his sutures are not as nice and neat as they could be, they're stitched and I prefer them glued as was done when I had the lapband. I am still on slider type foods and eating less but they are not necessarily light on calories, but I am not feeling the plication I had to be very tight, but the foods I'm eating currently are easily digestible and move through quickly. I will have to wait a bit to see really how much I can eat before feeling full. I'm sorry I haven't been much help to you in this but it's still early for me to see big results, I lost much weight on the liquids but not that I'm able to eat more substantial foods, I've stopped actually losing, which is alright for the time being but I'm hoping the weight loss resumes here soon. Let me know what you actually decide, I'll keep an eye out for your progress.

B

I am curious how much weight have lost now? it looks like you got the plication surgery quite a while ago just curious if you started loosing weight again??

Thanks for your response LIsa

I flew down last Wednesday afternoon. Got to San Diego at about 5:30pm, the Angeles Hospital Driver picked me up at baggage check and drove directly to the hospital. I flew in later in the afternoon so I could check into the hospital the night before. I was done with pre-op testing and settled in my hospital room in Tijuana by 7:30pm.

I went to bed, the next morning they started my IV, put on my awesome compression hose (the worst part of the whole thing) and I was in surgery around noon on Thursday. I was back in my room around 4pm, and started walking around 6:30.

That night was hard, I was in pain more like severe indigestion than "real" pain, I don't know what I was expecting. they gave me some good pain meds and I slept almost all night.

I had a flouroscopy test Friday morning, was cleared for liquids (clear) and kept walking.

Friday I took a shower, felt like a "new" woman, somehow makes you feel human again. All day I felt gradually better.

I was released from hospital Saturday morning. The driver took me back to San Diego, where I met my husband and we started the drive home, around 7 hours.......

Not bad, and the drive home wasn't as "hard" or "hard at all" for that matter..

I have pictures of the hospital room on my blog...

Fat Woman on a Mission

There is definitely some language challenges if you don't speak Spanish, I am bilingual so it wasn't a problem for me. But the staff knows basic English, and are really good at trying to make out what you are saying, or signing out (lots of pointing and stuff) questions. All of the other bariatric patients there did not speak English and weren't complaining at all. I felt really cared for. They let you sleep at night and don't come in unless you beep them, and then they are there within seconds.....it has been one of the "best" hospital experiences in my life....I went by myself and was in the hospital by myself, I had no issues at all.

Hi there just was wondering if you can give me a update on your weight and how much can you eat at one sitting now??

Lisa

Hi there just was wondering if you can give me a update on your weight and how much can you eat at one sitting now??

Lisa

Hey Lisa.... I get in about 3/4 cup or about 6 oz of food, depending on density at one sitting. Tonight we BBQ'd so I had 1/2 a bratwurst and about 2 oz of fillet (beef). I also had a forkful of potato salad. I eat anywhere from 700-900 calories a day depending on the day.... How are you doing?