Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hoping to go from band to sleeve -- any issues?

:tongue2::tongue2::party4:

Hi, this is my first post here, but I've been reading, reading, reading. I got my band in March 2008, and spent lots of time on lapbandtalk.com before and after that surgery. I used to read and post, especially in the group who was banded in the same month as I was. But eventually I dropped out because I just couldn't relate to everyone's relatively easy journey and success, while I struggled endlessly with the dreaded fill/unfill/fill/slip/unfill/fill... cycle that went on ever since the first time I had a slip about 9 months into the process. I finally stopped getting any adjustments late last year and just left it alone. I hate my band for all the struggles and reasons that revisionists do, but I'm really hoping to move to the sleeve this summer.

It's really nice to see so many familiar personalities who I used to see over there, but on the other hand, knowing that you've switched to the sleeve only lends credence to the fact that the band just isn't for everyone.

My question to you is: after the healing period (4-6 weeks?), have you ever felt limited or restricted in your comfort to eat out socially? Fear of sliming, foaming, etc.? Any other issues? Do you have embarrassing gurgling like with the band? After 2 years, I've got the small bites and chewing down, and yet this nonsense still goes on depending on when my band feels like showing me who's the boss. I can't wait to get rid of it! :001_wub:

Hello Everyone..This is my first time to post. I had the band 2 years and 6 months ago. I will have the sleeve done in 2 weeks hopefully. Loved reading y'alls comments. Would like to get in chat group or something, but I will hopefully be checking in each day to read comments on the sleeve and anyone who has problems with it or you're loving your sleeve please let me know.

i'm only 4 days out of my revision surgery. i'm still doing full liquids but i can say that i'm happy i did it.

i got to where i hated my band. i would go in for fills, then 5 days later i would be to tight, so i would have to get unflled. then wait about 6 weeks for the inflamation to go down and get another fill. this continued for close to a year. i was sick of it.

did insurance cover the revision -- any major hoops?

yes, my insurance covered the revision at 100%. i didn't pay a single cent.

all my doctor did was submit my clinicals with a recomendation that the band be removed and the sleeve done. approval only took 2 days.

Hello Everyone..This is my first time to post. I had the band 2 years and 6 months ago. I will have the sleeve done in 2 weeks hopefully. Loved reading y'alls comments. Would like to get in chat group or something, but I will hopefully be checking in each day to read comments on the sleeve and anyone who has problems with it or you're loving your sleeve please let me know.

I'm a year out from my revision. VSG rocks, and it's the best thing that I ever did for myself. I have zero complaints, zero regrets, zero issues.

It's amazing ! ! !:001_rolleyes:

Best wishes for your revision.

I have had my band for 2 and half years. First year great, lost 60 lbs, but since then, fill and take out, fill again and take out, this has happen 8 or 9 times( and have gained back a little over 25 lbs. ), so now I am scheduled for sleeve in 2 weeks. My question is to the ones who have had sleeve awhile. I know several gastric bypass people who after several years gain their weight back, is this also possible with the sleeve?? Do you still feel restrictive after a year or more. But, since they remove the hungry feeling hormone area does this keep you always not feeling hungry or wanting to eat?? I know the pain will be worse than the band surgery (hoping not to bad, so please tell me the truth on this also). Please comment as soon as possible. Thank you

Also I would like to ask what time does the sleeve chat group meet and on what day. I tried to find it but I cannot..thanks

Are you talking about chatting in here, at Vertical Sleeve talk?

Just click on the chat button up at the top. We chat most evenings. I usually leave the window open if there is nobody there because people come and go... I open another window and read the forums. You can hear a door bell ring when someone comes in.

Tiffykins and OregonDaisy are right on. They told me I would love it...and I DO!! Had so many band issues...it's too bad more people don't know or research the sleeve more. It's worth it...every bit.

My question is to the ones who have had sleeve awhile. I know several gastric bypass people who after several years gain their weight back, is this also possible with the sleeve?? Do you still feel restrictive after a year or more. But, since they remove the hungry feeling hormone area does this keep you always not feeling hungry or wanting to eat?? I know the pain will be worse than the band surgery (hoping not to bad, so please tell me the truth on this also). Please comment as soon as possible. Thank you

As for regain, it can happen with any of the surgeries. Even the heavily touted DS can show some regain. It's more about being compliant, and changing your bad habits for good habits. With RNY or the sleeve, you can still suck down 3000 calorie milkshakes, you just have to choose to not do it.

I'm a little over a year out, and I have amazing restriction. I'm never physically hungry, and I love it.

A lot of people think that they will only eat 2-3oz of food for the rest of their lives early post-op. But, I can honestly tell you that I can eat twice as much now at a year out than I could at 2-3 months post op. The stomach relaxes, becomes accustomed to food going in there, and the swelling subsides over time. I can eat the same amount today that I've been able to eat for the last few months. My surgeon just scoped me in February while I had my gallbladder out, and says my sleeve looks fabulous, not dilated, not stretched, no sign of ulcers, and that I'm pretty much at maximum capacity food wise. I can only eat 3-5oz of dense Protein and 6-8ounces of mushy consistency stuff. I'm able to get in 1500-1800 calories with an average of 100gr of Protein per day without issue with about 6 meals. I'm in maintenance mode at this point, and not trying to lose anymore. In the losing phase, it's completely different.

I still want to eat, I still crave certain foods. I believe even naturally skinny people have cravings and it's natural. It's the choices you make when you have those cravings that will determine your success. If I want Mexican food, I eat it. If I want Thai food, I eat it. I try to make the best choice, eat protein first, and always feel satisfied.

The pain with the sleeve actually less than what I experienced with the band. The only part that was truly painful is where they removed the port. That boogar hurt for several weeks. I had a large amount of scar tissue, and adhesions in that area that had to be removed. It was definitely painful, and sore for a few weeks in that general area. But, other than that, the actual pain from VSG was minimal.

I rarely ever check a post again unless someone tells me that they asked another questions. If you ever have any urgent questions, please feel free to message me directly on here. I would get that message faster than having to dig through posts.

Living with the band is a nightmare.

Living with the sleeve is effortless. The smartest thing I ever did was getting that band out and revising to the sleeve.

Hey oregon daisy I use your line all the time now I am one week out and you and tiffykins are some of the people that made me get sleeved NOT banded!

Glad to hear that! I love saving people from going through that band nightmare!