Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Consumer Reports/Protein Drinks

I did hear that on Good Morning America today. They also said some foods have the same things too.

I think its like anything be it Protein shakes OR food - nothing processed and packaged like that is ever going to be free of nasties. Its much safer and heathier to stick with whole foods.

that article just confirms what I already think about Protein Shakes, they're just an expensive ruse. I dont ever drink them and I still have hair and muscles AND I lost weight.

Edited by Jachut

Hi there:

I noticed on your signature that Dr. Stanley Hoehn performed your procedure. I am just finishing up my pre-op classes, and will be scheduling with Dr. Hoehn for surger in July. I just wanted to get your opinion on the experience, and see if there is anything you could tell me that you wish you had known going in?

Anything will be helpful. Thanks so much!

Hi there:

I noticed on your signature that Dr. Stanley Hoehn performed your procedure. I am just finishing up my pre-op classes, and will be scheduling with Dr. Hoehn for surger in July. I just wanted to get your opinion on the experience, and see if there is anything you could tell me that you wish you had known going in?

Anything will be helpful. Thanks so much!

Hello, So glad you have found such a fantastic surgeon! I drove 11 hours to have my surgery (self pay & he was having a special price on the sleeve) so I was unable to attend the pre-op classes. The only things I wish I had known before hand is just how quickly you begin to feel better and can drink normally and not sip! Hoehn is wonderful, I could not have asked for a better or smoother experience. I only hit my morphine pump twice (before I walked in the hospital) and never took any of the liquid lortab. I am so glad that I went to him, wish I had more to tell you but if you think of any questions please don't hesitate to ask! Robbie

thalnks so much for your reply; it really helps to know someone who's been through this and had a good experience.

I do have one question, and you may or may not know the answer. I have insurance throughmy employer, but of course my policy has an exclusion for bariatric surgery. I am also self pay; however, I'm curious as to what would happen if by some strange chance there were complications down the road? I know that bowel obstructions are very uncommon, but they do happen. I've also read about people needing ER visits weeks after their surgery. Do you know if insurance pays for these visits, if they are medically necessary?

I've got a call into Wayne at Dr. Hoehn's office, but maybe you have some insights into this? I'm just worried that two months down the line, something might go wrong and I will find myself in the hospital with no insurance coverage.

Again,thanks so much for replying and best of luck for continued success on your journey!

I work for a school district and we have WLS exclusion, one of our secretaries had the duodenal switch and eventually began suffering from malnutrition and needed hospitalized. They covered her because it was malnutrition, it didn't matter that she became malnourished because of the surgery (the same would have been true for dehydration). Now if this other secretary or I develop a leak I seriously doubt that they would cover that. This same thing was (and still is) a huge concern of mine but I prayed and researched and eventually decided that I was willing to take that risk. I need to go to my primary care physician for blood work and I will expect it to be covered because I was diabetic and had high blood pressure so I will ask my Dr to order the blood work under those billing codes. The fact that I am self pay was exactly the reason that I used a level one Center of Excellence facility and surgeon. You will be in good hands with Hoehn, I took extra care to do exactly what Hoehn said due to the fact that I was self pay. I am so excited for you, tell Hoehn his Columbus, Ohio patient says "hi".

A link to Consumer Reports July 2010 article on Protein drinks, some contain arsenic, lead, mercury etc. Yikes!

Protein Drinks: Consumer Reports

How about that! I saw this report recently. I'm glad you put it up as a post. My favorite vanilla bean, Solgar whey To Go contains .06 arsenic. I don't know if that's considered too much or a mere trace and if it is just a trace does that mean it's safe? :001_tongue:

Let us know what you find out.When I saw the news report on TV, they said the same stuff is in a lot of our food.< /strong>