Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I have gotten the DS (Duodenal Switch)

I'm two weeks away from being 12 weeks post op and I've only lost 15 pounds. I barely eat Breakfast (maybe two slices of bacon - I'd rather drink my Protein coffee than eat) - lunch is usually a smart ones and I'm completely stuffed to the max. What I have noticed is that I want to eat every 2-3 hrs. When I do eat Breakfast or lunch I'm only full for a little while (about 2- 3 hrs) then I'm ready to eat again.

I'm wondering whether I should have gotten the DS because of the malabsorbtion????????

I'm going to do the 5 day pouch test and hopefully things will turn around for me........

T:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

are you drinking while eating? That might be why.

Are you tracking your calories, carbs, and Protein? This really helps put things into perspective for us.

Are you working out/exercising? Maybe you need more calories?

About your hunger, are you taking an acid reducer like Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid?

Hang in there, you can lose with the sleeve. You just have to evaluate what you are doing, and change things accordingly.

Do you have access to a nutritionist? If so, maybe they can help you get a good meal plan that will help you get the scale moving.

Did you have guidelines that you should be following during your losing stage? If you have them, are you able to stick to them? If you didn't get any, there are a lot of guidelines out there that may help you.

Honestly, I would not have wanted to deal with the massive Vitamin regimen that DS patients have to take or suffer serious consequences.

hello tia

I'm no expert by no means, and I'm only 1 week out post-op but from what I have learned from the nutrition classes in my post-op program is that once you are past the healing phase (probably 3-4 weeks out) you should not be taking Protein shakes so much as taking real Protein food sources like chicken, steak, turkey, fish, etc. These foods are more dense which will keep you fuller and satisfied longer (as well as good serving of protein) versus a Protein shake that will go right through your sleeve (funnel factor).

While the smart ones may be a healthier alternative to a non-sleeved persons diet, while you are on the decline trying to lose, the smart one dinners probably aren't ideal as they do have large amounts of carbs, calories, from the Pasta contents, etc. Try to eat whole protein foods first, then add non-starchy vegetables. Did you surgeon provide a post-op diet plan to follow? If you are interested you can look at the information provided here from my surgeon, it gives a good plan to follow once you are in stage 3 and able to eat normally again.

Weight Wise Bariatric Program :: Patient Resources :: Post Op Instructions

Good luck to you. Keep working at it and you'll find what really works for you.

It amazes how different diets are. I am so glad my plan didn't say this - one reason I picked the sleeve was to learn new eating patterns to allow me anything in moderation.

? No bread, Pasta, RICE, POTATOES ? forever

That being said, I would advise everyone considering or having had surgery to work with their doctor and nut for a plan for them. We offer good advice and personal experience out here, but we definitely aren't qualified medical personnel. Best of luck finding what works for you.

It amazes how different diets are. I am so glad my plan didn't say this - one reason I picked the sleeve was to learn new eating patterns to allow me anything in moderation.

? No bread, Pasta, RICE, POTATOES ? forever

That being said, I would advise everyone considering or having had surgery to work with their doctor and nut for a plan for them. We offer good advice and personal experience out here, but we definitely aren't qualified medical personnel. Best of luck finding what works for you.

Me too ! ! ! I deprivation dieted all the way up to 270lbs. Those 3tsp of mashed potatoes haven't caused me any regain.

I'm so grateful that my nutritionist and surgeon both agree that food should not be forbidden.

I do agree how that looks like you would be signing up for failure if you really thought you would never touch these foods again, but there are other areas throughout the plan where it states these are the foods that should be avoided. In person during our meetings they elaborate more so saying they do not think we will never have a piece of birthday cake or have a meal that is outside the ideal path to our weightloss, but in order to get to goal and maintain throughout the future these are the eating behaviors that are needed to keep it off longterm. While I think I will incorporate an occasional rice, potato, etc in my meals, I will not start a pattern with it because there are obvious better food choices. The way I looked at it after seeing that is they word it so blatently because when we fail with food getting us to the point where we need surgery, is like handing you a free pass to do drugs if they freely allow it knowing these are the things that helped get you to bad health in the first place. I agree though, as I'm only one week post op I keep reading more of everyones experiences after meeting goal and I'm sometimes surprised by their eating behaviors now. While I hope it all works out for the best, I think my program has the right idea when it comes to longterm maintenance.

Tiffkins, I rarely ever have heartburn, do you think I should still take the prilosec or nexium. I have the chewable tablet pepcid, but I only took them my first two weeks. I use to chew them like candy. Do you think if I take then an hr or two after a meal that I won't be as hungry????????????????

Thanks

T

I do agree how that looks like you would be signing up for failure if you really thought you would never touch these foods again, but there are other areas throughout the plan where it states these are the foods that should be avoided. In person during our meetings they elaborate more so saying they do not think we will never have a piece of birthday cake or have a meal that is outside the ideal path to our weightloss, but in order to get to goal and maintain throughout the future these are the eating behaviors that are needed to keep it off longterm. While I think I will incorporate an occasional rice, potato, etc in my meals, I will not start a pattern with it because there are obvious better food choices. The way I looked at it after seeing that is they word it so blatently because when we fail with food getting us to the point where we need surgery, is like handing you a free pass to do drugs if they freely allow it knowing these are the things that helped get you to bad health in the first place. I agree though, as I'm only one week post op I keep reading more of everyones experiences after meeting goal and I'm sometimes surprised by their eating behaviors now. While I hope it all works out for the best, I think my program has the right idea when it comes to longterm maintenance.

I apologize if I came across the wrong way. Everyone really has to do what works for them. I definitely support you following your plan surgeon's plan. Luckily, I have been able to incorporate some of these carbs and still lose weight. Maybe I could lose faster if I didn't, but I'm just taking it day by day.

I meant absolutely no offense when it comes to your program, and agree that you need to follow what you think is best for your success. For me, eating mashed potatoes didn't get me fat. Eating 4 cups of mashed potatoes got me fat.

So, while I agree that there are habits, and choices that we have to make to ensure success and long term results no 2 people's food issues are identical. What works for me probably won't work for some, but it works for me, and luckily I do not have the same triggers that others suffer with on a daily basis when it comes to their food issues.

I just think it's unrealistic to tell people that you have to avoid certain foods for the rest of your life to be successful. If I had a food addiction, or compulsive tendencies I could see where that would work as in your example of drug using. But, I still do not believe that I am or was a food addict. I've dealt with personal addiction, and still do as I still smoke cigarettes. So, I'm familiar with addiction.

I respect everyone's individual program, but obviously, we are all different and I really hate being thrown into a cookie cutter world of obesity.

To me, it's like saying all fat people are lazy, and can't stop eating. We all know that is far from the truth.

For me, and me alone, I am grateful that our program is set up to teach better food choices, healthy options, and how to deal with triggers to avoid the "cheating our surgeries" that we see all too often.

Tiffkins, I rarely ever have heartburn, do you think I should still take the prilosec or nexium. I have the chewable tablet pepcid, but I only took them my first two weeks. I use to chew them like candy. Do you think if I take then an hr or two after a meal that I won't be as hungry????????????????

Thanks

T

If you take a true PPI, I would almost bet you would not be hungry. I am not a doctor or your doctor so check with him/her. But, the symptoms you are describing sounds like the false hunger that acid causes.

Prilosec, Prevacid, Protonix or Nexium are true PPIs. Pepcid, and Zantac are H2 blockers. PPIs prevent the acid, H2 blockers stop it once it's started.

Also, you need to take the Prilosec a minimum of 30 minutes before eating. I wait an entire hour after taking my Prilosec20mg. I know with Nexium it is recommended to wait a minimum of 30 minutes before eating. I am not familiar with Prevacid dosing instructions.

It can take 7-14 days for the Prilosec to kick in. If you get it OTC don't be discouraged the first couple of days, it does take time to work. I'm not sure about Prevacid and Nexium if they take a few days to start working.

Thanks Tiffkins, I'm going to get Prilosec today and start taking it immediately. I'm going to start my 5 day pouch test on June 7th. It's easier for me to do it during the week because I'm more restricted at work. The carb monster really really come out about an hr after I eat lunch. I really do think the hunger that I'm feeling is head hunger. If all goes well I'll try to do the 5 day puch test once a month.

Thanks so much for all your advice:wink0::wink0::wink0:

T

If you aren't already doing it, I would join a food tracking site like myfitnesspal and log EVERYTHING you eat and drink.

It's amazing how much stuff can sneak into your diet if you don't pay attention.

I was probably adding an extra 1200 calories a day just grazing on Snacks between meals before I started to track everything.

I also think carbs can cause a rebound hunger to occur when your blood sugar levels spike and then crash.

If you stick to the Protein first and try to avoid carbs it should kick start your weightloss and help with the hunger.