Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Male:Female Ratio in the Forum

Hi!!

Is it only me, i notice most of the posts and discussions are happening in between the fairer sex.. I hardly can see any posts by men in this forum..

Or is this surgery not preferred by men?

There are quite a few men here.......But, men do not participate as much as women for some reason.

There's still quite a cultural stigma against men caring about their appearance (and even though it shouldn't be, weight is still considered more of a cosmetic than medical issue).

I think that's starting to change, though. I'm seeing more and more (straight) men wanting to take care of their bodies and their appearance. I bet that as that trend continues, we'll see more men not just willing to get WLS, but also to talk about it.

But I know what you're saying, wealthyminds -- whenever I go into the chat room I feel like I'm drowning in a sea of estrogen :tongue2:

There's still quite a cultural stigma against men caring about their appearance (and even though it shouldn't be, weight is still considered more of a cosmetic than medical issue).

I think that's starting to change, though. I'm seeing more and more (straight) men wanting to take care of their bodies and their appearance. I bet that as that trend continues, we'll see more men not just willing to get WLS, but also to talk about it.

But I know what you're saying, wealthyminds -- whenever I go into the chat room I feel like I'm drowning in a sea of estrogen :tongue2:

At least, we're losing all our estrogen stores when they release from our fat cells :thumbup: ! ! !

I've noticed the same trends. Even in the studies that I've read, the women participants usually outnumber the men by a large percentage. Several of the studies show 200ish women with 40ish men. I really suck at math so I'm not even going to attempt to figure up ratios LOL.

I have seen VSG gain popularity with men over RNY or the BAND in the last year or so.

I think that the only thing that I didn't like about VSG from a "man perspective" is that we can't do "typical man things" like eat a giant cheeseburger followed by a huge mug of beer.

But really? In the big picture? I'll take being seen as a "dainty eater" with a smokin hot bod, compared to a "big, manly eater" with a giant beer gut and poor health and stamina, any day.

I think that the only thing that I didn't like about VSG from a "man perspective" is that we can't do "typical man things" like eat a giant cheeseburger followed by a huge mug of beer.

But really? In the big picture? I'll take being seen as a "dainty eater" with a smokin hot bod, compared to a "big, manly eater" with a giant beer gut and poor health and stamina, any day.

I had manly eating tendencies. There was nothing more that I loved was college football Saturdays with friends, nachos, queso, chicken wings, you name it we had it, and of course different alcoholic beverages. I carried most of my fat like a man as well. I was all gut.

If it's any consolation, I can eat 1 slider from Chili's with cheese. I do have to eat it slow, but it does kind of fill that want for a hamburger like meal.

That's good to hear. I did have a brief moment of "will I ever have a cheeseburger again??" today.

My girlfriend can eat one of the Kid's Meal cheeseburgers from Kidd Valley (don't know if you have them where you live, but they're my favorite "fast food" hamburger). She eats it slowly, and often over two meals, but there's hope yet!

Probably no more beer for me, but that's okay. I'm partial to vodka too :tongue2:

I haven't given up on beer. I plan to give it my best shot once I reach goal.

Part of reaching that point of having WLS as a man is admitting you can't do it on your own...many men probably let that pride get in the way. In fact for me it was a male friend having WLS that actually changed my mind about it. I have know a few women that had WLS but it did not have that same effect.

Most men just aren't as chatty or into the whole forum thing :thumbup: My hubby is having the surgery soon and I talk to him about this forum all the time but he still hasn't "set foot" in here. :thumbup:

But I know what you're saying, wealthyminds -- whenever I go into the chat room I feel like I'm drowning in a sea of estrogen :thumbup:

I appreciate seeing your comments, ouroborous. I'm glad you participate.

I read the forums just about every day and post frequently. But again, I'm 68 and by that age there's nothing left to cover up--everyone knows all your secrets! Especially the fact that I"m big as a barn door. This is how it is: I've told several of my friends I'm going to have WLS and not one has said, "You? You don't look obese/fat/overweight to me?" Not one. I guess maybe I was the last to know, you know? Anyway, post away, you'll hear back from some really cool people who really have it together. :001_cool: