Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

What is going on, I have stepped on the scale for the past three days and each day I gained a little more. I went to Vegas for a week (last week), and we walked and walked and walked and walked some more. We walked from one end of the strip to the other end, we even ventured down to the "older" end featuring the Riviera and Sahara. We walked so much my feet started swelling and my calfs were killing me. For 5 days I walked extensively, and when I got back home I got on the scale and it said 202. That was okay but I thought I would have lost a little more. The next morning the scale said 205, and the next morning the scale said 207. I barely ate anything the whole trip. I was eating Protein and drinking Water. I would take 2 bites here and there and I was done.

I just knew that the walking was going to make a big difference - Well it did I'm gaining weight instead of loosing weight. WHAT IS GOING ON SLEEVERS?????????????????:tongue_smilie::confused1::thumbup::confused1::bored0::confused1:

I can't get into wonderland to save my life................. I'm 8 weeks post op.......

T

Edited by tia_1417

If your feet and legs were swelling that could explain it. Even if the swelling went down, often times, Water "moves" around your body before you get rid of it. So, you may give it a few more days before getting too discouraged.

Did you drink Alcohol? what are you eating? It seems very odd......need more info.

Sorry Tia... I know it really messes with our heads when these things happen.

When our muscles get stressed our body sort of "surrounds" them with Water.

You are following the equation calories consumed - calories burned = lost weight.

As long as thats in place its just wierd Water stuff.

Also... if you expended a lot more energy than usual your body would have used up its glycogen stores and would now be going through the process of restoring glycogen to your liver and other organs (using fat to do this!!!!) but this process requires a lot of water.

I hope it passes soon...

take care

stacey

Folks, our bodies are NOT machines. It's not as simple as calories in/calories out. There are hormonal issues, environmental issues, stress, TYPE of food, Water retention, and so many other things that can make the scale fluctuate from day to day.

Your best bet is to STOP watching the scale. Weigh yourself once every couple weeks, or once a week TOPS. By doing this, you'll stop torturing yourself over every little blip, and learn how to be free of the tyranny of the scale.

It may be hart to break the addiction, but once you stop treating your body like a machine and start treating it like the complex living organism that it is, and give up on constantly watching the scale every day, you'll be SO much happier.

Eat healthy, exercise, know you're doing the right thing, and stop obsessing about the scale. Live your life!

I second what ouroborous said. The scale fluctuates all the time and you just can't waste your energy worrying about it. It's the TREND you have to worry about over the long term. If you didn't lose or kept gaining for a couple months I might be concerned but there are so many things jumping out to me. Water retention - your legs were swelling... also did you fly? Flying can make you swell and retain water too. You don't gain 2 lbs of fat in a day, especially 2 days in a row so in all liklihood it is water weight and will go away on it's own in a few days to a week. Another possibility, sounds like you walked a LOT, and you of course at this stage are eating very little, so your body might be going whoa, we really need to hang on to these calories for all this activity. That will Iron itself out too. A third possiblity, everyone seems to experience stalls either at 2-3 weeks out, or about 20 lbs out. We all lose at different rates and since you are talking about onederland I'm guessing you started out not that too far above 200? As a smaller sleever, you may just be experiencing that stall slightly sooner because of the ratio of what you've lost compared to what you need to lose.

OUr bodies are so complex... don't worry about trying to figure this stuff out unless it persists for at least a couple of WEEKS. The day to day you just need to ignore!!

Hugs and I Hope this helps some

I have a bit different approach. I have been tracking my weight daily on my scale - same time of day & always without clothes. I keep this on a spreadsheet & monitor stuff like TOM, exercise, and alcohol intake.

The graph I get from this data shows my ebbs and flows throughout the month & gives me peace of mind if I see something unusual. What I mean is that it isn't usually UNusual - it's just the way my body works. Now, the stall I had 2 weeks prior was not part of my normal routine since having surgery, but now I have it documented. It will be interesting to see if it follows a similiar pattern in the future.

Of course, this is what works for me - you need to find out what works for you.

I can't remember the last time I owned a scale and I don't plan to buy one any time soon after being sleeved - primarily because of stuff like this. I'm sure that's been a positive and negative for me in terms of my weight over the years but then I think of the times I was really working a diet and exercise program hard and got on the scale somewhere else and was crushed when the numbers hadn't changed as I had expected.

This happened to me as recently as last week when I went in for the last of my 6 month md visits. I had switched to diet drinks, was exercising 4 or 5 days a week and was doing low/no carb meals. I just knew I had lost AT LEAST 5 pounds because my clothes had loosened up...but the scale moved down just 1 pound. This week, I'm feeling like what's the point. If I had had the choice, I would never have gotten on that scale, but I had to finish my pre-op requirements.

So, my plan is to continue on through surgery enjoying the many non-scale victories that I will surely be treated to. I plan to buy a scale when I get close to goal so that I can monitor a maintenance weight and keep within a certain range of pounds. I do plan to take my measurements pre-op and thoughout my journey toward goal because I feel that measurements are a more accurate measure of progress.