Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So here on Day 5, things are a bit easier so far. The fever is mostly gone -- I have little blips of temperature where my temp will spike up to as high as 100, but usually it doesn't go higher than 99.5, and mostly it stays around normal. More importantly, I don't feel that all over body "ick" that I felt before. My incisions are healing up well -- no bleeding or oozing, just some lovely bruising coming in. Apparently the MA was really impressed with how well they're healing -- they hardly even bled.

I'm finding it easier and easier to stick with my Protein and hydration and Vitamins -- it's 8:30am and I've taken in half of my day's Protein and Vitamins, and 20 oz of Water (plus a little watered down apple juice for some blood sugar).

On the minus side, I think I've basically exhausted my "reserves" -- I'm feeling a little "wobbly." Nothing major, I think I've just exhausted my free blood sugar reserves and I feel like I have to be a little bit more careful and deliberate in my movements.

sleep is still a little challenging; I get tired early so I've got on a sort of bizarre sleep schedule. I'm sure that will work out as my sleep becomes easier and more restful.

The biggest problem I'm facing right now is gas/cramps. It feels like hunger because I get these crampy pains in my stomach (actually in my intestines, I think), with lots of rumbling. Going to the bathroom (bowel movement) helps -- it tends to be lots of gas and little solids (sorry, TMI, but again, this is a medical board). Also, it's hard to say but it seems that eating helps, and possibly the Gas-X strips.

When the gas is happening, it's pretty unpleasant because I feel like I'm starving (since that stomach grumbling/crampy feeling is one of the ways I used to experience hunger). Also, it makes me a little nauseous.

However, I suspect it's a phase. I'm worried that it's real hunger, because I didn't want to FEEL hungry. But even if it IS hunger, it seems like a 100-200 calorie Protein shake pretty much nips it in the bud (which is a big change from before).

So, aside from the gas, things are doing better.

The gas is normal from my experience, but no hunger. Are you on a PPI as well?

Yeah. I'm not sure if it's enough dosage; I'm taking one 20 mg Omeprazole capsule sprinkled into my morning smoothie, and one 20 mg before bedtime.

I wonder if I should switch to 40 mg all in the morning, or something.

Sprinkled? I thought it was sustained release and needed to not be crushed. I have been able to swallow them fine myself--but not sure if that makes a difference.

yeah mine is a pill too...and I have no trouble swallowing it.

I had actually stopped taking mine and last night I paid the price for that.

I took it this morning!

Sprinkled? I thought it was sustained release and needed to not be crushed. I have been able to swallow them fine myself--but not sure if that makes a difference.

Dr. L thought the pill was too big at first, so until I get to the mushy/solid phase, I'm supposed to open these capsules and sprinkle the contents into my smoothies, etc.

In the meantime, if you get that feeling of too much acid you can probably suppliment a non ppi acid reducer like pepcid etc.

I'm leaning more strongly towards the acid reflux theory, since I got the unproductive coughs that were initially diagnosed as GERD, and it felt like my throat was swelling up.

I popped another 20 mg Omeprazole capsule with some apple juice, and I've got a call in to Dr. L to ask about it.

That sounds like a high dosage. But, you may not be getting all of the medicine if it sticks to the side of the glass you're drinking from. Ask hime why he has you on that dosage, since most people are fine with a 20mg pill....once a day. All the issues you are experiencing, I had, except for the gas. You will start feeling better in a few days, and most likely feel normal by day 14. Although I must say, i still get week and fatigued pretty easily. I think it's my age (59), and that I have unluckily had quite a few surgeries, and that where's on the ol body. Best of luck to your speedy recovery.

Well my girlfriend (who went to the same clinic) was on 40 mg/day after surgery, and is now on a 20 mg/day maintenance dose. I had pretty bad GERD before the surgery, so maybe I need more. I've decided to take 60 mg/day until I see the surgeon for followup on Wednesday.

I don't think everything I'm experiencing is acid. The "ahems" (constant cough that's in the throat, not the lungs) are definitely acid, but I think something else is causing the gas pain/cramping. It's possible it's still surgical inflation gas (although that seems like a long time to pass it -- 5 days?) I know that when the gas pains come on, it feels like my sleeve just clenches down. It sorta hurts, but mostly it feels uncomfortable. At its worst it makes me feel kinda nauseous.

The doc prescribed me Valium for muscle spasms, and I'm thinking that might help. He also recommended Mylanta, Gas-X, and folks on here recommended chamomile tea. So right now, after having taken 1 tbsp of Mylanta, I'm drinking a cup of hot chamomile tea laced with a crushed Valium. Hopefully the combination of all of these things will make sure that I can sleep soundly.