Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG on 5-4-10..How bad does it hurt?

Hello,

Im having VSG on the 4th of MAy, this pre-op diet sucks but im managing it OK, My main concern is how bad does this hurt when I wake up from surgery?..Im scared to death of being put to sleep.

I always look forward to a medicated induced sleep : ) It is scary to be sedated but they will monitor you closely. I would be more afraid of waking up during the surgery! lol

I have had 9 surgeries, 2 were lap procedures. The gall bladder removal was worse than the sleeve. The sleeve for me was not bad at all. My chest (and throat) hurt from being intubated and inflated during surgery. That lasted about 24 hours and went away. Some people have gas pain - I didn't really have any.

I took a pain med before I flew home 3 days after surgery and never took another one. I went back to work on the next day and worked 4-6 hours every day that week. I did take naps : )

Some people will report being in the ICU for days with a morphine pump, but that wasn't my experience at all. Everyone reacts differently tho. I also have a high pain tolerance.

Stay positive and you will do just fine. If you are really nervous before surgery, ask for valium (or something) to relax you. I had the valium in my IV and it was wonderful!

For me, the pain was minimal. I felt a little bit of soreness when I raised up out of bed, but that was about it. The first day I slept a lot. The second day I was walking hourly and doing fine. The whole process has not been bad at all for me. Just ready to try some real food in a few more days!! Best wishes to you.

I didn't have a lot of incisional pain. I went home the day after surgery and never even took tylenol after I got home. BUT...I had pretty awful chest and shoulder pain from the gas for about 24 hours. Because it was right after surgery, they gave me pain medication and I slept throught most of it. It was scariest when I was in recovery and I felt like I couldn't breathe and told them I thought I was having a heart attack. They did EKG's--said my heart was AOK--and gave me pain meds. I don't think most people have that much trouble with gas. Anyway, it was very time-limited.

Unfortunately, I had more pain than the people above. The good news is that it didn't last long. Here's a post I made a week after my surgery ...

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/post-operation-vertical-sleeve-gastric-surgery-vsg-questions-answers/3493-surgery-recovery-sucks.html

It doesnt hurt to bad i had mine 3-15-10.. theres a lil pain but the sooner your up walkin around the better.. o an peein lol..

I think guys feel more pain than women. After all they are built to manage the pain of child birth. I was in pain for a couple of days, but the gave me medication for it. I really felt like a had the noro virus for about a week. That was the hard part for me. Flu like symptoms, but each day got a liittle bit better, and i was okay by the second week. I am a month out now, but I still feel tired and weak. Hearing about all these people going right back to work amazes me. But it just goes to show that it depends on the individual. I am older (59), I have heart issues and spinal stenosis. So, consider me on the other side of the recovery timeline. Good luck to you.

I had some post op issues, but pain wasn't the main deal. Surgeons really don't want you to experience loads of discomfort, really advocate for yourself. Let em know if you hurt or need nausea meds or if you can't sleep. Those first few days rest is uber helpful those first few days.

I had mine yesterday and when I first woke up I had pain and the anesthisia clouded my head for a couple of hours. After that is was not too bad, but I did take avantage of the liquid pain med they gave every 4 hours I feel the gas bubbles as they pass through the sleeve and when on the meds it is noticible but not painful :however I can tell a difference when I am near the 4 hours. I was up walking early and often so that helped. In the hospital wide awake now so I am surfing the forums. So bring a laptop or book for when you can't sleep!

Hello,

Im having VSG on the 4th of MAy, this pre-op diet sucks but im managing it OK, My main concern is how bad does this hurt when I wake up from surgery?..Im scared to death of being put to sleep.

Well it really depends on your own pain comfort level. . if you have a real low tolerance for pain, yeah it's going to hurt, but if you have a high pain tolerance it'll be about a 5-6 or so, but it's more of a pressure pain then screaming for an ambulance pain. . . this was my 18th major surgery and i have a high pain tolerance, they did the surgery at about 12 noon and because i can't take versad or valium they give me 50 mg of IV benedryl, so I sleep through everything. . .I woke up fully at about 8pm, called the nurse to lower the rails, got up and walked the entire lenght of the hallway x 2 no real pain, just pressure, and during the night i did the same. . that morning I was up walking the halls all day long, pressure pain, but I figured they worked on my tummy not my legs, I did have bad gas pain though, that hurt more than the tummy pain. . . but walking helps alot. . . hope this helps but remember everyone is different and will have different pain levels.. . good luck:biggrin0:

I think guys feel more pain than women. After all they are built to manage the pain of child birth.

A smart man if I do say so! :001_smile:

It does still vary alot tho by person ... some women have a epidural asap. I delivered three 9lb babies with no meds in 8hrs, 2 hrs and 1.5hrs start to finish.

Mind over matter and if that doesn't work, by all means ask for meds. No sense being miserable when your body is trying to heal :smile1: