Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi There,

My name is Sandy I have been considering Lap band surgery after I saw a news report about it a few weeks ago. I am not obese, but overweight by about 35 lbs. I lost 30lbs by dieting around three years ago, because I was originally about 65 lbs overweight. I know this does not seem like much weight to lose, but every day has been a struggle to maintain or lose more weight. I am completely consumed with diets and losing more weight but as hard as I try, my body won't budge! I just want to end the cycle of yo-yo dieting. However, my question is, is lap-band surgery worth it?? It's very costly (which I will have to finance because it wouldnt be covered) and it seems like there are many uncomfortable adjustments. I know the ultimate decision is mine but I am curious to know if people who have had the surgery done, would go through it for a weight loss of 35-40 lbs??

Thanks for your input,

Sandy

In my opinion, lapband is not the best option for a person needing to lose 35 pounds and I doubt any U.S. surgeon would operate.

I wouldn't. I love my band and it's worth it for me to lose 130 pounds - but not for 30.

The band isn't a miracle diet. All of us on this board are having to work HARD to lose weight. We have to follow rules or suffer consequences which include more than weight gain. The closer a person gets to their goal weight, the harder it becomes to lose. Being only 30 pounds overweight I expect you'd have to work at it just as hard with or without a band.

I also think that you'd have a hard time finding a doctor willing to perform surgery on you, even if you went to Mexico or another foreign country.

130 pounds - yes. 30 pounds? Nope.

What's your BMI? Sometimes if you're very petite, 35lb can be significant excess weight.

But even in Australia, where you can get banded from a BMI of 30 without too much argument, I doubt you'd get approved. You'd have to be very tiny to be obese at only 35lb overweight.

And having only about the same amount of weight to lose now, it is every bit as important to "diet" like I would have had to before. Weight has come off steadily since I was banded at about 80lb overweight, but has slowed to almost nothing now and only comes off in fits and starts when I pull my finger out and really work at it. The main advantage to me from hereoin in is it's near impossible to just "give up" as I cant eat the way I used to but I still need my willpower to keep me on the straight and narrow.

You've done so brilliantly and youv'e kept a large weight loss off for quite a long time, you can find it within yourself to keep going, I'm sure. Dont get desperate and do silly things, slow and steady wins the race. Do you exercise regularly? That helps an awful lot.

Hi Jacqui,

Thanks for your input...I do suppose I'm getting desperate. I'm just so fed up with the constant struggle. My BMI is 27, which is considered overweight. The idea of permanent weight loss is just so appealing...but as Im reading some of these posts, I am beginning to realize that this lap band is no miracle cure and not worth the possible complications (and money). I suppose that I just need to come to terms with the fact that the challenges associated with losing weight will be a part of my life forever...

Thanks again and congratulations on your progress!

Sandy:)

i'm hoping to get the lap band done soon.

I am 5'3 and 265. I have alot of weight to lose. I know it would be worth it but i can't help but feel nervous about the whole thing.

What would you say to someone like me as far as all the risks being worth it?

I had about 45 lbs to lose almost 3 years ago when I was banded in Monterrey Mexico. Every doctor in the US said that I was crazy... and I was. Crazy of just not being able to lose the weight. And, I tried EVERYTHING and it was totally a yoyo life. I have now lost all the weight I need to. I think that it was totally worth it... I call the lap band my medical will power. I have had some ups and downs with the fills, unfills, too tight, too lose etc. but it has been totally worth it and I would do it again in a minute. This will be the first summer in a long time that I am not mentally beating myself up about wearing shorts, bathing suits and having to go swim and to the beach. Life is too short to be so upset about weight. You need to do what is best for you and the rest of your life. Your mental health is part of your physical health too!!! : )

I think what makes you a good banding candidate has as much to do with your personality and outlook as anything.

like I feel for someone in Sandy's position because it can be every single bit as much of a struggle losing weight and maintaining weight loss whether your BMI is 27 or 67 and honestly, much lighter people could benefit just as much as heavier people. But they have to draw the line somewhere or you'd end up with teenage girls having bands to prevent them ever reaching a normal weight let alone getting fat.

If you've got a lot to lose and are willing to work on your lifestyle and make the commitment to change within yourself as well as use your band as a tool to help you do that, then its fantastic. I found it easy surgery, very little recovery and a very smooth transition into everyday life. But people can and do have complications and can be very sensitive to the band, having to cope with a difficulty in finding good restriction without being unable to eat many foods or vomiting all the time.

Weed through this board very thoroughly and I believe you'll get a really good balanced views of all the pros and cons.

Addiction is managed not cured. Getting a band or any type of surgery will not give you permanent weight lose unless you change the habits that contribute to your food addiction. Some may say they don't have a food addiction, but IMHO if you are overweight, you have issues with food in one way or another. To me, it would not be worth the risk at your weight/BMI.

I did the Optifast program last year and lost 32 lbs in 3 mos. Here's the link: http://www.optifast.com/index.jsp. I would strongly suggest this route or something like it. Like you, I had tried just about everything out there. Optifast is a good program, but it also takes work.

Being overweight is difficult whether you are 30 lbs or 100 lbs overweight. Take your time and do lots of research in whatever you decide. I wish you the best!!

Hello 3loves,

Thanks for your input. I am curious to how you found the Optifast program. I was thinking of trying it before I do something as drastic as lap band. However, whenever I think about Optifast, I get visions of Oprah lugging out 67 lbs of fat, just to gain it back soon after. Isint this the usual pattern with liquid diets? What was your experience with it?

Thank-you,

Sandy;

Sandy ~ That's a great question. After I quit the program (Oct 05), I gained back 10 lbs (more after I decided to get the band). The reason was b/c I didn't make the changes and felt a little mislead by the time I got to the end of the program. After the liquid part, you have to make good choices and eat right. If I could do that, why would I need this program? Well, I wasn't ready mentally. I can't even tell you what my expectations were and no one talked about the program beyond the shakes. I was thrilled to take off 32 lbs and that's where my head was....on the weight loss, not the lifestyle.

The best thing I took away from that program was that I was addicted to food. When you don't have food to chew and only have liquids for that amount of time, you realized you use food for things other than nutrition.

The key is changing the way you feel and look at food. I don't care if you have WLS or on any so-called diet. I can take of 30 lbs or more on my own, but to your point, I usually put it back on b/c I don't make the changes in my head. I decided on the band b/c I felt it was a tool that I could use to help me long term.

Sorry I'm so wordy. I can get like that. My DH says I talk too much and I agree. :) Regardless, I hope some of this made sense and was helpful. Keep in mind this is only my opinion and my experience. You will get a different response with every person you ask.

Weight watchers is still the best all around, I can do this the rest of my life diet. I plan to use the program after I'm banded. The reason? It takes into consideration all the elements of weight loss and a healthy lifestyle. Like for instance, sometimes, if you aren't loosing, you actually need to be eating MORE. I found that I lost better when I ate ALL my points instead of scrimping. Unfortunately, I found after I had lost about half the weight I needed to I started getting into the nervous, If I eat less I'll loose faster, diet mentality and then your leptin control kicks in and ORDERS your body to FILL UP THEM EMPTY FAT CELLS! and all is lost. But with only 30lbs. to lose I'd REALLY reccomend Weight Watchers for life. And if you can lose the 30lbs then you can go free and therre are no side effects. Good luck with your efforts. Rett

Hi Sandy,

I can't say whether or not this is the right step for you. The band is NOT a slam-dunk--especially when you have less to lose.

In 1999 I was 312# when I started a program somewhat similar to Optfast called HMR (http://www.hmrprogram.com/) and got down to 155 within a year. THe first 3 mos was shakes and then a combination. I'm not sure how Optifast is, but this program stressed exercise and lifestyle changes--along with the MOST weightloss EDUCATION I have ever heard anywhere (& believe me, I have done a ton of programs over the years).

After I left the program I gained a little, vacillating only between 10-20# up for almost 5 years. Then I had foot surgery, couldn't exercise and got back to 238. I just could NOT get myself motivated again and saw the scale climbing up. That's when I got the band. I lost 50# in about 4 months, gained 30, lost 20, gained 10... etc....

So the band got me back on track in that it kicked in my motivation. I'm about 180 now and about the only thing the band does for me is stop major binges. But without exercising my butt off and being hungry (YES, even with the band--& following all the rules-- I am STILL PHYSICALLY HUNGRY) I don't lose.

I would really recommend the HMR program for you if there is one in your area. It's expensive--but not as costly as the band, and there are no complications.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for your insight Kare!

I have tried countless programs, and if I could stick to one, chances are I wouldnt be considering the band. I have a consultation with Dr. Joffe in Toronto on Wednesday and he may tell me Im nuts, but Im looking at all my options.