Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eyes Still Bigger than My Stomach

Hi All,

I am 6 weeks out and still haven't learned to judge my portion sizes when I eat real food. I don't eat much but still feel stuffed about 10 mins after I stop eating. When y'all eat, do you have that full feeling in your throat or do you feeling nothing at all? I don't feel that I am overeating but I don't like that too full sensation. I am thinking of dividing my real meal into two portions. I want to shoot for 600 calories a day. My two shakes are about 300 together and I eat between 150-200 of food so I am falling short. For some reason, I want to eat at least 600 daily. For those who count calories, what do you average to see a good loss on the scale?

Thank you.

Pennie

Hi All,

I am 6 weeks out and still haven't learned to judge my portion sizes when I eat real food. I don't eat much but still feel stuffed about 10 mins after I stop eating. When y'all eat, do you have that full feeling in your throat or do you feeling nothing at all? I don't feel that I am overeating but I don't like that too full sensation. I am thinking of dividing my real meal into two portions. I want to shoot for 600 calories a day. My two shakes are about 300 together and I eat between 150-200 of food so I am falling short. For some reason, I want to eat at least 600 daily. For those who count calories, what do you average to see a good loss on the scale?

Thank you.

Pennie

Yuppers! I'm 3 months out now and if i eat just 1 bite too much, it feels like it is crawling back up my throat . . .a bad feeling. . most days i get in 550 - 700 calories a day. . . somedays it's alot more but only sometimes. . like today for example i had about 900 calories, but it was mostly junk like melba toast and a piece of dark belgium chocolate, had a funky day and along with funky days comes snacky days. . . oh well, otherwise i ate ok. .

I haven't gained at all (knock on wood) but then i only weigh once a month at the doctor appts. . . so i don't know if i gain or stall at all. . .

I am having one of the moments right now! LOL I went about an hour without food or Water, got home and ate too fast. Lean Cuisine BBQ chicken pizza. Num. I only had 1/4 of it, which has been fine before. I also had to have small drink of milk afterwards. Now I am just sitting here waiting for it to go away! It is so true, just one or two bites can put you over the limit, or eating too quickly.

I am hitting about 500 calories, 40ish carbs, 10-20 fats and 30-50 Protein. The Protein seems to be the hardest for me.

well i am also 3 1/2 months out and if i eat one too many bites it will come back up. like last night i ate too much, at first it didn't feel like that but the longer it sat in my esophogus it had to come back up. not all of it but i guess what i put in extra. it is not every day but it has started being at least 2 times a week. good luck with your new sleeve.

I thought I was the only one. I rarely finish what I think I can eat. I get full so fast. I have had many episodes of being very uncomfortable because it is just sitting in my throat, and I have vomited a couple times. I have really learned to slow down, and have started chopping my food up before I even start eating. My weight loss is going great though. And for someone you never was full before it is quite a change. I have taken to very small meals, and Snacks. And that way I can get in more Protein through the day. I am thankful that my husband is going through this with me, and that we are followed closely by a nutritionist at our clinic.:sleep0:

I too have that experience.. sometimes it feels like my head and my stomach just can't get it together. Most days I remember to eat slowly, chew alot - every once in a while I am just really hungry and eat too fast, or want more of something because it is tasting good and end up eating more and then I pay. Happened the other day, I was miserable for about an hour and then I am very concious for a while because I don't want it to happen again. I am hoping it will become natural to eat in my new way soon...

Diane

Doesn't it piss you off when you sit down to eat something really really good (my husband made lasagne the other night) and you realize after bite 4 that you can't do another bite? Before I would have polished off 2 servings! Then after a few minutes of being so full the "pissed off" turns to satisfaction and you get thankful that you can't eat 2 servings anymore!

Well its certainly nice to know that I am not alone. I thought maybe there was something wrong with me because I constantly feel as though something is caught in my throat after I eat, even if its not 2oz. I am just now on mushies and everything that is not yogurt makes me feel this way. Is this because I am eating too much? I often feel as though I need to have something to drink right after cause its caught in my esophogas but maybe I just need to not eat so quickly or chew better or not even eat the 2oz. Everyone sure is right though about sometimes it tastes so good that you don't want to stop. Does anyone know if string cheese counts as a soft food or is it a solid?

I still experience this very issue at almost 10 months post-op. Grant it, things are a little different now because I can eat more than I could at 3-4 months out, but it doesn't change the fact that I still think I could fit more in.

Also, there is a learning curve, and well I've figured it out. But, sometimes, I am left with a not so pleasant feeling after taking that one last bite. I haven't had to puke in a long time, but it sure doesn't feel good when I overdo it.

String counts as a soft food, but I preferred the babybel cheese or the Cracker barrel 2% milk extra sharp cheddar cheese. Maybe it's just a texture thing for me, but string cheese kind of sucked for me. The laughing cow cheese wedges worked great too.

You may want to take smaller bites, sit your utensil down in between bites, and count to 10 before taking another bite after you swallow. You're still really early out so it's pretty normal to be experiencing this feeling especially when transitioning to new foods.