Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Sleeved in Europe?

Hello Everyone,

I understand that most of you live in the U.S. or Canada and had or plan to have your surgery there or travel South to Mexico. However, I live in Ireland and would like to link up with anyone who had or plan to have their sleeve this side of the Atlantic.

I am particularily interested in hearing experiences with the different places, and any recommendations you may have.

I am not covered by insurance, so I will be funding this myself. Nevertheless, I do not intend to put the cost as the top priority, although I probably will take it into consideration to some extent!

Is anyone aware of any "Centres of Excellence" over here? I have heard of some places that have an exceedingly high reputation for gastric banding, but would that necessarily mean that they would be good at VSG's too?

I also consider India and Jerusalem too far away, although I see plenty of references to them.

All comments welcome,

Regards,

Bookleen :confused1:

Hi ,

It's me again. As you can see i got no replies to my last post.

Just wondering if anyone went to Belgium for surgery?

Bookleen

Hi Bookleen, I live in London and was sleeved on February 27th at Charing Cross Hospital which is a National Centre of Excellence. I have nothing but praise for them! I was lucky to get my op on the NHS because of my co-morbidities and from referal to surgery was four months.

I'm also lucky that I live very close to the hospital, however I know several people who have travelled a long way to get there (including a couple of people from Ireland). If you want to look at their website it is Welcome to Imperial Weight Centre

Good luck hun xx

No Im going to Mexico for my sleeve. My surgery date is April 15th. Cant wait!!

Hi HotMamma,

Best of Good Luck to you on 15th and longterm success.

Bookleen

Hi Bookleen, I live in London and was sleeved on February 27th at Charing Cross Hospital which is a National Centre of Excellence. I have nothing but praise for them! I was lucky to get my op on the NHS because of my co-morbidities and from referal to surgery was four months.

I'm also lucky that I live very close to the hospital, however I know several people who have travelled a long way to get there (including a couple of people from Ireland). If you want to look at their website it is Welcome to Imperial Weight Centre

Good luck hun xx

Hello tiaras,

I am delighted to hear from you and I have replied to your invite to be a friend. I hope I did it right as I am not too familar with these type of forums.

I looked up your Hospital and I would have to agree with you that you have landed on your feet! It sounds absolutely fantastic!

I am also impressed with your weight loss since your surgery late february. Well Done!

I have already booked mine. The date is fixed for 26th April and I am travelling to Belgium to have it done. That news only came today.

Would love to keep in touch throughout the coming months.

Regards,

Bookleen

Hi Bookleen I am based in Scotland and have surgery scheduled for 5 May in Belgium. Have researched some am confident but stilll nervous....... would like a buddy!

Lyn

Hello tiaras,

I am delighted to hear from you and I have replied to your invite to be a friend. I hope I did it right as I am not too familar with these type of forums.

I looked up your Hospital and I would have to agree with you that you have landed on your feet! It sounds absolutely fantastic!

I am also impressed with your weight loss since your surgery late february. Well Done!

I have already booked mine. The date is fixed for 26th April and I am travelling to Belgium to have it done. That news only came today.

Would love to keep in touch throughout the coming months.

Regards,

Bookleen

Hi Bookleen. Good luck with for 26th April! Very exciting. You will be losing your weight before you know it.

Speak soon.

Tiaras xx

Hi Bookleen

Who is doing your surgery in Belgium?

Mine is Dr Marc Focquet. I had a consultation meeting in Glasgow last month and was pleased with the package offered and level of support. Just wish it was sooner so I can get started.

Have over 100lbs to lose :lol0: so the quicker I get started the better!

I'm sure you'll do great on 26th April - would love to hear how you get on, will you keep in touch?

Lyn

Hi Bookleen

Who is doing your surgery in Belgium?

Mine is Dr Marc Focquet. I had a consultation meeting in Glasgow last month and was pleased with the package offered and level of support. Just wish it was sooner so I can get started.

Have over 100lbs to lose :) so the quicker I get started the better!

I'm sure you'll do great on 26th April - would love to hear how you get on, will you keep in touch?

Lyn

Hi Lyn,

I am pleased to "meet" you.

I will be going to the same surgeon as you, but a week earlier so I can give you an idea of what to expect.

I don't know of anyone else who has gone there. Do You?

I decided to book an extra night in the hotel, it helps to make me more confident. Probably not needed but I feel better about it.

Regards,

Bookleen

Hello Everyone,

It is a week pre-op for me and I am trying to get myself prepared.

With all this volcanic ash flight disruption I may not be going anywhere!

Looking for advise on what steps I need to take to prepare for my post-op homecoming?

In particular what do I need to buy in to have ready?

All tips and suggestions welcome.

Bookleen

Hi there

Sorry haven't been in touch I've been away for a few days!

I'm sure that the flight situation will sort itself out shortly - fingers crossed.

I haven't had my detailed information through yet - which hotel are you staying at and for how long? I'm arriving earlier than necessary on the 3rd may - will you still be there?

Love to hear from you!

Lyn x

Hello Hot Mamma,

Just thinking of you and wondering how you are doing. I believe you had you surgery on 15th April?

Hope all went well?

Bookleen

Hi Bookleen - when do you go out to Belgium and how are you feeling about it all now?

Lyn

Hello Everyone and especially Lyn,

Well I am home. I was sleeved on Monday 26th April in Belgium, and flew back home last night (30th April). I had a little holiday in Belgium in a lovely 4 star hotel. I opted to stay a little longer than necessary in case I ran into difficulties. Of course I didn't have any problems at all.

I also had my gallbladder removed at the same time. It was full of stones, so I am very pleased to have got that done, which saved another operation later on.

I really would recommend Dr Marc Focquet and Dr Toon Sonneville who were both present for my surgery and aftercare. I felt I was absolutely spoiled , I got such good attention! and lapped it all up!

I was sleeved by "Surgical Obesity Solutions" in St. Elizabeth's Hospital, Zottegem, Belgium.

Bookleen