Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, Im new and researching all I can on getting banded. I dont have insurance, and Mexico bandsters seem completely satisfied with the service and the care. Now, Im to the point of comparing prices between Doctors, but its very very difficult when you see, for instance, Dr Aceves mentions on his web site the the band surgery is $8200, but I noticed that one of the posters in this forum said that he only paid Aceves $7500. Is price haggling really an option? And is that something that that should scare me, be cause it does just a little bit. On the other hand, I LOVE getting a bargain!!! LOL !!!

Who was your Doctor, And how much did your surgery package cost (excluding airfare), how much are you paying for American fills?

Thanks so very much for helping to clear up some of the issues that are stressing me out

Roger

Hi Roger,

I opted not to be banded in Mexico but if you do a search here, you'll find tons of info that will answer your questions. Welcome!

dr Huacuz in Tijuana Mexico can give to good options i loss more than 70 pounds Ihave to tell you I was really happy with my results. I was treated wonderfully by everyone on his staff, contac him is excellent option www.huacuz.com

IMHO - would stay waaayyyy away from this one!

Do a search and read EVERYTHING you can before choosing your Mexican surgeon. I've heard horrible things about Huacuz but he wasn't my surgeon so I can't give you details to back that statement up - do a search on LBT and read it ALL.

I had surgery by Dr. Roberto Rumbaut in Monterrey, Mexico and paid $10,600. I understand the the cost of the surgery is why you're having it done in Mexico, but you really should be careful about choosing a surgeon based on who charges the least. Choose your surgeon based on his credentials and outcomes. I offer the same advice about researching Dr. Rumbaut - do a search on LBT and across the internet. He isn't the least expensive, but I would recommend him to my best friend or my sister. If I had a daughter who needed lapband surgery I'd recommend Dr. Rumbaut - that's how strongly I feel about him and the facility in which he performs surgery.

Good luck on your weight loss journey.

Dr.Ortiz is EXCELLENT and was only $8,500 total when I went in March. I had absolutely no complaints whatsoever and there are a good number of people on LBT that can also testify that he is wonderful as well. Go to obesitycontrolcenter.com and you can check him out.

~Liz~

banded 03/10/06

241 highest/237 surgery/202/150

5'7''

Roger,

I paid $ 9100 for Dr. Sanchez with Ready4Achange in Monterrey, MX. I got home yesturday. He has 3 packages to choose from. Because I live in MT I chose the middle package because airfare was included. Look at skill and experience and MOST IMPORTANT make sure you can find a fill Dr. in your area before getting the procedure. In MT there are only 3 Dr's and only one will take a patient from Mexico.

Good luch.

Sharon

IMHO - would stay waaayyyy away from this one!

I went to Dr. Huacuz and have nothing but wonderful to say about him. It is definately your choice and it is a tough decision to make, especially when you get such conflicting advice!! There are many Dr.'s from Mexico that I have read mostly good about, Dr. Kuri, Dr. Rumbaut, do your research and I wish you nothing but good health!!

GOOD LUCK.

If going to TJ, Mexico and price along with quality of care is part of your consideration...I had a great experience at Bajanor Clinic (my previous posts with other Bajanor patients was misspelled as Banajor) The clinic was small but clean, they have an ambulance for any emergencies (to come to them or to be taken to a hospital) they were able to do my band laporscopically with no problem despite 5 previous abdominal surgeries (including a previous banding and then band removal). Dr. Covarrubias (Inamed Certified) was my surgeon and top-notch something like over 2,000 Inamed bands placed not including several thousand of the other brands of bands. He was assisted by Dr. Miguel who has also placed 1,000 or more bands on his own. I went by myself so the night nurse slept on my couch to be close to me. If I stirred she was up and on her feet. She was the only one who did not speak perfect english but I was able to get across when I needed to use the bathroom, needed something to drink and when I needed more pain medication. Dr. Carlos answered my numerous emails asking every little detail to make myself satisfied with my decision. I paid $6,900 that include all pre-op testing, medications, my night at the clinic, my night at Hotel Lucerna, etc. I had to pay airfare and for the food at the hotel. Check out www.bajanor.com if interested (I'm not a salesperson for them) As a matter of fact if I hadn't gone to Bajanor I would have went to Dr. Ortiz, maybe Dr. Aleceves in Mexicali (except they immediately wanted me to pay $2000 more because I'd already had so may abdominal surgeries so I didn't like that especially since no one else wanted to charge me more unless complications like open banding) Otherwise I would have gone to Monterrey, esp. Dr. Zorilla for $8300 an associate of my first surgeon. He is well known as a top notch bariatric surgeon. Many people are misinformed that Dr. Zorilla does not do the band anymore since he is well skilled in high-risk gastric bypasses and specializes in them. I can get in contact with Jonas Haegar to give you information on Dr. Ortiz or Dr. Zorilla if you are interested in either of them. Also I highly recommend Dr. Frering in Lyon, France...in my eyes he's the best but with the eurodollar is up now, airfare costs are up, you have to pay like $700 extra if you don't get pre-op testing at home, then the required 5 nights after the surgery to stay in France of course with him the day after surgery you'll be up to touring Lyon, France (unbelievablely beautiful), or Paris, or where ever in france delights you. His pre-op diet (or at least use to be) 3 days liquids, puree, Jello and then eat as tolerated so you do get to enjoy the french food! I hear Belgium has some great deals right now if you want to travel to Europe. I know there are real reputable options there now for under $4000 eurodollars. They've been doing this forever in Europe, well probably just about as long in Mexico too! Good luck on your research. Oh, I have a couple places in WA state I can get after care and fills. I pay $224 per fill with Dr. Fox who starting doing banding during the FDA trials.

April

Thanks for all the responses. I have indeed done quite a bit of research, Im leaning towards Dr Aceves, but am still giving Ortiz some serious consideration. I was aproved by emedical loan this morning. So this is all becoming so REAL to me right now, I must admit...Im really getting nervous.

Does emedical finance out of the country surgery?

Oh - and ditto what DonnaB said. :clap2:

Most US financing companies will not finance for out of country procedures. BUT here's the secret. My Dr. is from Mexico but has a US based business that the US companies will finance. Check with your Dr's patient cordinator about US financing. You can also get a personal loan from Capital one with 6.9%

Sharon

Does emedical finance out of the country surgery?

Well, I went to the financial link on Dr Aceves Website, so they know who the loan is for as well as where he's located, I assume. They qualified me for 6500, his cost is 8200. I think I saw somewhere in this forum that Aceves will perform the surgery with 5000 up front and let you send him the remaining 3200 in monthly installments, but I have to ask Dr A about that for sure.

OHHHH.....if you haven't noticed...I decided on Dr Aceves. Not for financial reasons, but because he didnt require me to lose an excessive amount of weight prior to the surgery. Ortiz said I would have to diet for at least 6 months and lose at least 75 lbs before he would operate. If I could do that I wouldnt need the operation!!!:tired

I had Ortiz and am surprised that he would make you lose that much pre-op. :omg: What is your BMI? He really is one of the best out there..Good luck on your surgery!

~Liz~

banded 03/10/06

Dr.Ortiz

241 highest/237 surgery/205/150

5'7''