Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last Supper Confession and Pre-Op cravings!

Hello! So I am sheduled for my surgery on March 12th with Dr. Jose Rodriguez. For some reason...I'm NOT nervous...YET. I went absolutley nutty on my last "anything goes" food-wise day. Here's my confession: I had Starbucks Cinnmon Dolce Latte and a sausage, egg, and cheese sandwich for Breakfast, Dunkin Donuts later with a apple fritter for a snack, McDonalds BIG MAC with fries and a Coke for lunch, and then had a Dragon Roll, Panang Curry, and a glass of wine for dinner out with my friends for my "Last Supper". THEN when I got home I made my husband pick up some chocolate cake and me and my BFF and him sat and ate that with MORE wine. (Unbuttoning my pants)...GEEZ!!! You'd think I was NEVER gonna eat again. I'm CRAVING anything and everything that I can't have. I got a corn muffin with my chicken at Boston Market yesterday and I obsessed about it all day and finally just had to throw it away instead of saving it for my hubby JUST to avoid eating it!!! LOL So ANYWAY...I'm on my pre-op "high protien and low carb diet" and I'm 3 days in and going NUTS. I'm obsessing already and I hope that this isn't how it's going to be AFTER I get sleeved. Can anyone relate? Any "last supper" confessions to top mine? Does anyone have info on Pre-op diets that are high protien like mine that I can take a look at? I don't have much to go off with what my coordinator provided me it seems. I hope all is well with you and in 11 short days I will be on the "sleeved side"!~! YEA!:)Tina

Tina, my doc isn't requiring me to do any pre-op diet, and I have been in "last supper" mode for WEEKS! I am planning to do a few days of Protein Shakes only prior to surgery, though. My date is March 17 and I can't wait!!

Dang, I'm jealous!! I had to be at my pre-surgery goal weight or I'd be sent home with no surgery. I was only 1 pound down so had to be extremely careful. Three days before surgery I splurged with a small order of McDonald fries and that night had brown rice and an Eggplant/shrimp and scallop dish from my fav Thai restaurant. I figured I would drink Water for the next two days if I had to. When I got to surgery I had 1.2 pounds to spare and wished I'd had a dessert. :)

The thing about surgery is that you're not going to be hungry afterwards. You'll adjust to the low carb. It takes a few days to get the sugar out of your system and then the meat and veggies will take very good care of your food cravings. Low carb is great for getting used to eating post op.

Good luck!

Hello! So I am sheduled for my surgery on March 12th with Dr. Jose Rodriguez. For some reason...I'm NOT nervous...YET. I went absolutley nutty on my last "anything goes" food-wise day. Here's my confession: I had Starbucks Cinnmon Dolce Latte and a sausage, egg, and cheese sandwich for breakfast, Dunkin Donuts later with a apple fritter for a snack, McDonalds BIG MAC with fries and a Coke for lunch, and then had a Dragon Roll, Panang Curry, and a glass of wine for dinner out with my friends for my "Last Supper". THEN when I got home I made my husband pick up some chocolate cake and me and my BFF and him sat and ate that with MORE wine. (Unbuttoning my pants)...GEEZ!!! You'd think I was NEVER gonna eat again. I'm CRAVING anything and everything that I can't have. I got a corn muffin with my chicken at Boston Market yesterday and I obsessed about it all day and finally just had to throw it away instead of saving it for my hubby JUST to avoid eating it!!! LOL So ANYWAY...I'm on my pre-op "high protien and low carb diet" and I'm 3 days in and going NUTS. I'm obsessing already and I hope that this isn't how it's going to be AFTER I get sleeved. Can anyone relate? Any "last supper" confessions to top mine? Does anyone have info on Pre-op diets that are high protien like mine that I can take a look at? I don't have much to go off with what my coordinator provided me it seems. I hope all is well with you and in 11 short days I will be on the "sleeved side"!~! YEA!:)Tina

Why do we do that to ourselves? It's amazing. . . girl that was alot of food! With the sleeve that will be totally physically impossible. . . I wish you all the best with your journey and in no time flat you'll be here on this forum giving advise to the newbies and helping out as well. . . you'll look back to this post one day and this will be your reaction :)!!! Keep in touch will us and see you on the sleeved side soon!

Good news is that it's out of your system, and now you can focus on your pre-op diet.

Just because it's low carb doesn't mean it has to suck. Stock up on cheese, meat, and Pork rinds for crunchy salty Snacks.

Salads are always great. Don't go and eat fat-free stuff because those typically have more sugar and carbs to help them taste better.

It more a mental battle than it is actual physical, but you can do it.

Post-op, you may still want things because they operate on our stomachs not our brains, and head hunger still lingers for some. However, if you can switch gears in your mind that the post-op diet is simply a necessary, TEMPORARY, evil, you will make it through. My desire for food left when I went through recovery. I learned that I just had to eat for fuel, and to live. The sleeve has completely changed my relationship with food.

I had to do the low carb/high Protein pre-op for both my band surgery, and my revision. My revision surgeon allowed me to have a "last supper" the night before surgery. My in-laws flew in so they could be with me since my husband was deployed at the time.

We went out to Applebee's for dinner. The kiddo and I ordered the 2 for $20. We shared spinach/artichoke dip with tortilla chips, I ordered for myself an 8oz steak covered in A1 steak sauce, loaded mashed potatoes, french fries, 3 glasses of sweet tea, and for dessert I shared this decadent dessert with my 11 yr old son.

Maple Butter Blondie

Baked with nuts, topped with both ice cream and chopped walnuts, and served sizzling at your table where it's covered with a rich, maple butter sauce.

I think the majority of us have a "Last Supper" mentality. It's our last hoorah for eating anything and everything we want. I did mine New Year's Weekend so I definitely put away some calories - both in food and beverage.

Life after the sleeve is sooooo different. I keep telling my husband that it's too much work to eat. I never thought I'd say that! But, I plan my meals out to make sure I get in my Protein (use myfitnesspal.com) and stick to a schedule to get all the food down each day.

You can do this! Welcome to the Loser's Bench.

We all came to this place of surgery with a past history with food. Signing up for the surgery, or even having the surgery doesn't take away those thoughts of food. I think it's a process to go through.

That said, the marvel of the Sleeve is that it becomes about fuel as others have said. I track everything in myfitnesspal.com as well. I generally plan my food early in the day so that I can see what I'll put into my body.

Tina, Tiffy is right. There's so many wonderful options with low carb. For me, I've done it for years and love it because I'm rarely hungry. You're going to do terrific!

My last supper was a big salad filled with nuts, tons of veggies, cheese, the works. Kinda boring I know. :thumbup: I ate a lot of fish and salad the couple weeks before surgery.

One salad that is really low carb and delicious is iceberg lettuce (gross i know but much less carbs) with sour cream, turkey bacon, cheese, and boiled egg. It sounds weird, but it's really heaven.

It'll be much easier after surgery. The only thing surgery does for you is the most important thing: You get full FAST. And in the first month especiall.. 2 or 3 bites and you're done. It gives your body plenty of time to dump all those toxins so you're not craving bad food PHYSICALLY. You may still crave it mentally, but you won't be able to eat it, so you just have to deal with that part.... which tends to go away after a few weeks.

Thanks everyone for sharing...this forum is great. I'm doing MUCH better now that I'm like 5 days into my pre-op diet. The beginning was just a lil hard! :welcome: Had a few moments of tearing up recently thinking about what a HUGE change this is going to be and kinda worried now that I'm 10 days till "sleeve day." I still think about how there IS a risk of death doing this, like any other medical procedure...and that thought alone is like "GULP"...but I think that's just jittery nerves too and that everything is going to be all right...That's my mantra..."Everythings gonna be all right"

My sleeve's scheduled for 3/23/10, and althought the surgeon recommends Clear Liquids the day before the surgery I plan on starting my own pre-op diet at least a week before. Cut back on the sodas, rice and Pasta. Oh, and have started going back to the gym and getting used to the exercise again (has to stop due to being sick, and then falling and busting my knee, ouch!). I know I'll be getting a "last supper", and know will crave cruchy salty!