Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

From Band to Gastric Imbrecation need help

Hi! I had a band for almost 4 years and lost 120 pounds. I also had 3 slips and 5 surgeries for lapband related issues. After suffering with nausea for almost the last 1 1/2 years, I finally was willing to give up my fight. When I called my surgeon he had a new option for me. It's called a gastric imbrecation or gastric plication. It is similar to a sleeve, except the stomach is not cut, it is folded in on itself. I would like to participate in this forum because, I'm not a bandster anymore. Here is a link to my surgery on utube:

I just got off the liquid diet and I'm trying to figure out how to tell when I've eaten enough. It is very uncomfortable if I eat too much. Any suggestions? Also seem to get constipated and then have loose stools all in the same day. I'm on prilesec, could this be a side affect? Since my procedure is experimental, I have no one to turn to. It seems that the sleeve would be the nearest procedure. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hi, and welcome to VST. I wish I had some advice or information to offer, but since this is a new procedure, all I can offer is my support.

With the bowel movement issue, it seems fairly normal especially with a liquid diet.

Since I am not familiar with the specifics of this particular surgery, it's really difficult to form any type opinion or true thought process on the procedure. I googled and there really isn't a lot out there at all, except for the one surgeon in India offering this procedure at a lower cost to the bariatric procedures.

Best wishes, and keep us posted on your progress. It seems to be an interesting procedure, but my main concern would be all of the scar tissue and adhesions that would form over time from the extensive suturing. Plus, the fundus isn't removed therefore the Ghrelin is still produced. So, I'm assuming this is a strictly restrictive procedure. I'm not bashing anyone's surgery, but I have a real difficult time accepting that the "band" is reversible due to the scarring, and change in anatomy that occurs once scar tissue is formed. For me, the reversible option for this surgery seems leaves me a little skeptical. But, that is only my opinion, based on my own band experience, and others that have endured horrible scar tissue/adhesions from bands being placed. I understand the sutures can be removed, but what will be left of the stomach after? That's my issue with surgeries being deemed "reversible".

I agree with you about the surgery not being reversible. I'm not looking at it as a reversible surgery, though it may be. Having lived through the band, I know the problems associated with scar tissue. I'm still living with the scar tissue issues (nausea) from my "reversible" lap band. What the gastric imbrecation is doing for me, really, is giving me peace of mind that I can mantain the weight loss that I already accomplished. I would have done the sleeve in a heart beat, but my DH was dead set against it. I think that my surgery is very similar to the sleeve. Reading over a lot of the threads, it really seems that way. The grehlin issue is definetly a plus for the sleeve, though I'm not finding that hunger is too big of an issue. I was certainly hungry when I had the band. I guess, for me, I've had to learn the difference between real hunger and head hunger. Dealing with head hunger is always an issue. I appreciate the support. Just wondering how you feel when your full? Do you have an idea about how much you should eat before you begin? (I can eat about 7 oz). What clues does your body give you when your full?

I agree with you about the surgery not being reversible. I'm not looking at it as a reversible surgery, though it may be. Having lived through the band, I know the problems associated with scar tissue. I'm still living with the scar tissue issues (nausea) from my "reversible" lap band. What the gastric imbrecation is doing for me, really, is giving me peace of mind that I can mantain the weight loss that I already accomplished. I would have done the sleeve in a heart beat, but my DH was dead set against it. I think that my surgery is very similar to the sleeve. Reading over a lot of the threads, it really seems that way. The grehlin issue is definetly a plus for the sleeve, though I'm not finding that hunger is too big of an issue. I was certainly hungry when I had the band. I guess, for me, I've had to learn the difference between real hunger and head hunger. Dealing with head hunger is always an issue. I appreciate the support. Just wondering how you feel when your full? Do you have an idea about how much you should eat before you begin? (I can eat about 7 oz). What clues does your body give you when your full?

Can you tell me what DH stands for and why he/she was/is dead set against the sleeve?

As to knowing when your full...with the sleeve early on I just felt a fullness in my chest, (esophagus) area. Now at 5.5 months out I feel a fullness similar to before I had the surgery, like in the belly full. If I eat a food I'm not ready for then I feel it sort of stuck in the esophagus and I stop eating and walk and wait it out. I hope you will stay connected the people here are supportive although your procedure is probably news to most of us. I wish you success and good health.

I can only eat 7-8ounces of mushy food like chili or slider foods. With dense Protein, I can get in maybe 4-5ounces.

For me, I don't get a solid full feeling. With the sleeve, one thing I've found is that one last bite is sometimes one too many. So, I still somewhat eyeball measure my food. Once I eat, I pretty much can feel that I am getting full. I don't get cramping or discomfort. When I eat a lot of meat, I'll sometimes get a hiccup, and I stop.

Do they know about the sutured part of the stomach getting ulcers or cancer and the ability for that portion of the stomach to be scoped? You've peeked my interest, and I'm a super research geek. So, least to say I'm intrigued. I wouldn't trade my sleeve for the world, but I enjoy research and being educated on these type of things.

Also, are you able to take all medications. Like with the band/RNY we couldn't take NSAIDS. Do you have that option with your surgery type?

Hi! DH stands for Dear Hubby, DD= dear daughter, DB= dear boyfriend. Picked it up on lapband talk.

About cancer and ulcers: Yes, I can be scoped. My husband is a doctor and he does not believe that this surgery increases my chances of getting the above. According to him and my surgeon, the stomach is a very resilent muscle. I'm only the 2nd person in the states to have the surgery, so I wasn't given any guarantees of anything. My doctor has been participating in a research study in India, where they have done the procedure 25 times. There is a guy in Greece, doing the procedure also. If you search, UTube under gastric plication you will see his surgeries. Also, there are a few articles about the procedure in the medical journals. I believe that my doctor is going to start offering gastric imbrecation as an option for weight maintance only at this time. The reason he will offer it as a weight maintance tool and not a weight loss tool is because they are still trying to decide what size bougee to use for sizing the stomach for weight loss. My doc used a 32 bougee, but he told me that he stitched it loosely, using that as a guide. Hope that makes sense?

Yes, I can use NSAIDS. I don't have any restrictions on pills, but I find that taking too many Vitamins and supplements at one time makes me nauseated.

My husband was against me getting the sleeve because I am at my goal weight and he felt that the risks would out weigh the benefits (leaks, etc). My DH really felt that this surgery was safer and could be reversed. I guess it was a calculated risk. We had to make the decision fairly quickly because of my slipped band.

I'm really happy to have some restriction. I wish I had a little more restriction, but I think it will be good and I'll be able to live a fairly normal life.

I would like to use this forum. I feel very a lone with this procedure and would appreciate the support.

You got support here ! ! ! I can imagine you do feel alone, but we'll be here to cheer you on.

I'm so glad to hear that you can take NSAIDS and don't have med restrictions. I understand your husband's concerns. It's great that he is so supportive.

Keep us posted, and we'll be here for you.

Ditto here and welcome. You are a pioneer in the WL industry! Please keep us posted as you progress with your maintenance.

Thanks, I really, really appreciate it. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to eat with this thing. Tonight we went out to dinner and I had meatloaf. I think I had one too many bites. I feel very uncomfortable and my chest hurts. Sound familar? I can't really tell when I'm full until it's too late. I guess I need to eat more slowly? Maybe I should just think about what would be a little less than a cup and just stop before I feel full? My mind wants to eat more, but I'm really not that hungry. Definetely feels different than the band. With the band, I was always a little afraid to eat, take pills, etc. Never knew when my band would protest. Well, I guess life is an experiment!

Your description does seem to be similar to the sleeve. Tonight I shared a meatball hero minus the bread, After one bite of the second meatball I had to stop, pain in my chest. I am sure I ate too fast and the semi chewed up ground meatball mix (which probably contained bread crumbs) got stuck in the esophagus. I wanted more but had to stop. It took about 20 minutes of pacing and by the time I drove home another 15 minutes I was fine. Come to think of it the few and only times I have eaten ground beef it did not go down easy. I may not be ready for it.

Welcome. While we don't have experience with your procedure, we definitely have experience with struggling with weightloss. Congrats on your surgery - we are glad to have you here.

Welcome to the Forum. You are more than welcome here. You will find some of the nicest and most informed people around. Best wishes to you.

Oh and on the "eating enough part", I still really can't tell when I'm full most of the time. I've had to strickly rely on measuring my food and stopping after that is consumed. Or eyeballing it to previous measurements and then stopping.

Edited by Barbara278

I can tell when I've eaten too much, but not exactly when I'm full, too. I'm basically just making myself stop when I think I've eaten a little less than a cup. This seems to be working pretty well, as long as I don't let myself go too long between feedings. (Sound like a baby, huh? LOL). Any way, weight loss surgery is an interesting experience. I'm feeling better every day and getting over being so very tired.

I just had plication and have had some issues with loose stool and Constipation but not the same day. I too am getting used to how much food is enough and have vomited a few times which worries me as I've heard it can lead to stretching the stomach. I'm 10 days post op and have only lost 11 lbs. There is another lady that just posted on the forum this afternoon and it sounds like she's got this down to a science already. She's lost 34 lbs in 17 days and said nothing about feeling sick in her post. Perhaps she can be of some help. Good luck!

Congratulations on your plication! Sounds like you're doing well. I think some bowel upset is normal, especially if you used pain meds, etc. I have only lost 5 pounds, but I'm very near goal weight. I will check out the other gal and see what's she's doing. How much food can you eat at one time? Very curious. Who did your surgery? Anyway, wish you the best!