Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Getting Enough Calories Post-OP?

Hi All,

I am a little worried about my calorie intake. I am in my third week post-op and I average around 300 calories a day. I drink one high Protein Shake in the morning and then eat about 2/3 of an egg with a little reduced fat cheese in the evening. Also I supplement with Protein Water to get that in. I just don't feel hungry and I am losing weight well but I am worried that my body is going to suffer taking in so few calories. My surgeon's office says don't eat if you are not hungry but still...

I appreciate any advice.

TIA,

Pennie

Pennie -

I can't believe you were told not to eat if you weren't hungry. Very few of us are hungry post-op. I was told to get in all my liquids and my Protein by 3 weeks out. I had to set a schedule and watch the clock for eating.

Do you have a nutritionist you can talk to? If not, call your surgeon. 300 is waaayyyy to low in my opinion.

Hi All,

I am a little worried about my calorie intake. I am in my third week post-op and I average around 300 calories a day. I drink one high Protein shake in the morning and then eat about 2/3 of an egg with a little reduced fat cheese in the evening. Also I supplement with Protein Water to get that in. I just don't feel hungry and I am losing weight well but I am worried that my body is going to suffer taking in so few calories. My surgeon's office says don't eat if you are not hungry but still...

I appreciate any advice.

TIA,

Pennie

Pennie, I am out now going on 9 weeks, I still only manage about 500-600 calories a day. . . I like it, I am not suffering, all my labs have been normal, and I just don't worry about it at all. . . apparently your tummy is still swollen and just can't take in alot of calories for now. . . just go with the flow and it'll get better . . . good luck!:)

Right now, your body is also fueling itself off of stored body fat. But, if you can squeeze in some Greek yogurt that may help you with calories and Protein. Not sure what food stage you are on, but if you can have soft solids, maybe some chicken or tuna salad. It's super tough to get in calories when we're not hungry. I literally still feel like I'm force feeding myself. It's definitely a challenge. If you start working out, you'll definitely need to increase your calorie intake.

Make sure you're taking a high quality Multi-Vitamin so you can get in those since you're taking in minimal calories.

During the first month I averaged around 300-400 calories per day, but I also seemed to be a lot more fatigued than others who were at the same stage as me. When I started exercising (other than walking) pretty hard core at a month out, I started eating Snacks, which is against my program's guidelines, to get the calories up because I knew I needed more fuel. Good luck, if your labs are good, I wouldn't be too worried.