Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I ate pizza for the first time since surgery..mixed emotions..

pizza has always been my all-time favorite food, and I waited until my two month anniversary to try it. We usually get Papa Murphy's Delite pizza, which you bake at home and is basically the pizza toppings on a cracker thin crust. The crust is super, super thin and doesn't compare to any other thin crust from the chains. I cut the pizza in slices about two inches across the crust end. I was able to eat two slices, which was about a normal sized slice. I didn't really know what to expect, but I knew that with their crust being so thin, it wouldn't be like regular pizza, even thin crust from other places.

Anyway, I have this feeling of guilt, surprise that I was able to eat it, and sorta happy that I can (after all, that's what I love about the sleeve compared to other surgeries. I counted for it on my daily journal, and my calories were a little high for the day(over 900 and I usually stick well below 800), but everything else was in check. I know it won't be a regular rotating meal, but I am happy that I can include pizza every couple of weeks or so as long as I plan well (my lunch was too high, but I can revise that for future meal planning).

Anyone else have experience with pizza post surgery?

I am still too early for pizza, but I love Papa Murphy's DeLite.

I think Oregondaisy eats pizza with her kids on occaision.

I am jealous!!

I live in Southern Calif and we dont have a Pappa Murphys!!

I use to live in Northern Calif (Chico) and we use to get Pappa Murphys all the time!!!

Well don't feel guilty, I stepped out myself this weekend, not that i cheated really, but i ate like a wild woman. . of course it's a lot less then when i was not sleeved but here is what i had this weekend. . .

Saturday:

No Breakfast . . (no time)

lunch : 1/2 c cream of celery Soup with about 4 slices of fat free chicken slices and 1 string cheese

Dinner: 1/2 c cream of celery Soup with 1/2 cup extra lean ground turkey meat. .

snack : 4 - 5 slices of fat free chicken slices (6 slices are 50 calories), dannon fit N light frozen yogurt. . . and 2 dark chocolate (35 calories for both) I was like so craving chocolate. that i just said have it and get it out of your system . . . it was good and i didn't feel guilty at all. . .

Sunday:

2 egg omelet with 2 slices of fat free ham, and fat free cheese, (ate only 1/2)

Lunch: finished the other 1/2 of the omelet and some Decaf coffee. . .

Dinner: 4 brussel sprouts (cooked very well) 5 tiny little meatballs made from extra lean ground turkey, cooked in 1/4 c rague sauce mixed with Water. . .

Snack: 4 oz Dannon light N Fit frozen yogurt

Todays calories equaled 575 - 600 . . . I felt like i was cheating cause it was sooooo good, it was sinful. . . i figure as long as the calories stay low, this will work. . . soooo if your pizza was yum and less then you've eatten in the past, then don't worry about it, it's not like you do it all the time right????

I had a 2 inch by 2 inch square of thin crust pizza about a week ago. It tasted great, I was happy with my portion and I tracked it in my food journal for the day.

Since I used to eat 1/2 of a large Papa Johns handtossed Meatlovers in one setting, I don't feel the least bit guilty. :001_smile:

No i don't think anyone should feel guilty. . I sure as heck don't. . . if i want that chicken slice dang it i'll eat it! . . . as far as pizza goes, i used to be able to eat 2/3 of a extra large meatlovers papa johns. . we had to order 3 pizzas just to be satisfied . . . at the buffet i'd eat 2 plates and Desserts. . . at ihops i'd order the extra large chicken fried steak, potatoes, corn, and garlic bread. . . Now i can't even imagine doing any of those things. . . but if i have a craving for something, i'm going to satisfy that craving and carry on without guilt. . . good luck all. . . .

I love this forum! It's so nice to "hear" yourself think and then bounce things off others for advise/support.

I could totally wolf down most of a large pizza before, so I know my sweet sleeve is working fabulously. I started thinking that the amount of pizza I ate basically equated to almost the size of a regular thin tortilla with a normal amount of "stuff in it. Not that much food when I think about it. But, boy pizza definitely has more calories. Still, it's one of my favs, and I'm glad to know I can work it into my plan from time to time.

when i ate pizza a few weeks ago and it just wouldn't go down without hurting me so i just picked the toppings off and just ate that. it was still good and would probably do it again seeing how i can't eat hardly any bread products. go figure. it hurts all the way down..

I eat pizza once a week. I take my kids out to pizza every week. I can eat one piece. I love it. I love watching them polish off an entire pizza and I feel completely satisfied and full from one piece.

The sleeve is so great! There is nothing to feel guilty about. I would feel bad if I was able to eat more than that, or if I sat there and watched them eat, wishing I could eat more. I just don't. I am very happy with my one piece, once a week. It's a normal sized slice and sometimes I do have to eat only the toppings off the last little bit.

My question is, how do you get that Papa Murphys crispy? I have gotten that kind before, and it's soggy.

pizza has always been my all-time favorite food, and I waited until my two month anniversary to try it. We usually get Papa Murphy's Delite pizza, which you bake at home and is basically the pizza toppings on a cracker thin crust. The crust is super, super thin and doesn't compare to any other thin crust from the chains. I cut the pizza in slices about two inches across the crust end. I was able to eat two slices, which was about a normal sized slice. I didn't really know what to expect, but I knew that with their crust being so thin, it wouldn't be like regular pizza, even thin crust from other places.

Anyway, I have this feeling of guilt, surprise that I was able to eat it, and sorta happy that I can (after all, that's what I love about the sleeve compared to other surgeries. I counted for it on my daily journal, and my calories were a little high for the day(over 900 and I usually stick well below 800), but everything else was in check. I know it won't be a regular rotating meal, but I am happy that I can include pizza every couple of weeks or so as long as I plan well (my lunch was too high, but I can revise that for future meal planning).

Anyone else have experience with pizza post surgery?

I've had pizza a few times. I started with 200 calorie diet pizza on flat bread. That did fine. I could eat one piece. This week I had 3 slices of Papa John's chicken & Bacon BBQ. It was great !!! I ate the 3 slices over a 8 hour period. So it wasn't hard at all. My caloried intake was up for sure, but it was worth it, I still lost weight thou. I can eat Pizza WAY easier than any meat, I've tried. chicken is the hardest to get down for me. ANd I LOVE Chicken..I could eat it any way possible. But not now, it's just hard to get down.

Pizza has lost all of it's appeal for me. I've tried several different brands, crusts, toppings, and for some reason I just can't get a taste for it again. It was a fave of mine pre-op, but now I just don't even bother. If I could find totally crunchy, super paper-thin crust pizza down here I'm sure I'd be all over it.

Wow ladies,,, that all sounds sooooo good,, I once ate a large pizza Hut pizza and a complete Baskin Robbins cake.. Man that was a great night.. LOL>. Now about 3 spoons of a thick liquid, , and I am stuffed..

Thank you so much for posting this!!! pizza was one of my favorites pre-op and I'm so glad to know that I will eventually be able to have my slice. :blushing: I was so excited I told the fiance we're going to Papa Murphy's next time he comes to visit me! Woot! You made my week! :lol0:

My question is, how do you get that Papa Murphys crispy? I have gotten that kind before, and it's soggy.

Bake it half the time on the given pan. Then slide it off directly onto your baking shelf for the remainder of the time. It will crisp up perfectly.

ok everybody...here's what I tried today.....AWESOME!

3 slices of sandwich size pepperoni (sliced thin by the deli)

I nuked these for 30 seconds in the microwave (on a bed of paper towels)

(Most of the grease goes into the paper towels.)

topped each one with a few drops of Contadina pizza sauce (squeeze bottle) smeared around a bit

topped that with a couple Tablespoons low fat mozzerella (divided between all three)

Put back into the microwave for another 15-20 seconds until cheese is melted.

The pepperoni gets so crispy...yet has all sorts of flavor...NO SOGGY CRUST!

About 2 carbs total for all three (from the pizza sauce and cheese).

No idea of calories until I get back to the store and get the Nutritional info from the deli.

But this was great! 3 of them were a satisfying portion because it's crunchy, gooey, cheesy, salty, pizza, pepperoni flavor packed!!!!