Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2010 Surgeries

Well I just find out that I was approved to have my surgery on March 1. As you know I am already having an anxiety attack because I am suppose to be doing the pre-op diet, but I really dont know to much what I can eat...can someone shed some light this way...

And of course anyone else wants to join me!!

My surgery is March too but I won't find out the exact day until tomorrow. I am thinking March 8th.

My doctor didn't put me on any special diet. He said it depended on your other conditions and I didn't have any. He did say I could do low carb if I wanted so I am going to start that tomorrow.

Did your doctor say anything about low carb?

Did your surgeon give you any direction on the pre-op diet at all? I had to do a low carb/high Protein 1 week pre-op for the band to sleeve revision. I had zero co-morbidities, but my BMI was 47. I had to do the same pre-op diet for my band surgery.

If you need to do low carb/high Protein, check out the Atkins diet for some suggestions.

I ate a lot of chicken, cheese, and salads for the pre-op diet, and steered clear of all white carbs. No flour, bread, Pasta, or rice during that time period.

Congratulations on your date! I had to do a modified Atkins diet for the month prior to surgery and 2 days of Clear liquids before surgery. For the high protein/low carb diet, I purchased a South Beach manual from Target (I think it was the induction phase or phase 1) and kept my carbs under 30 grams per day.

Good luck!

Thanks ladies for your replies;

thanks so much for your replies he told me to do the same..high protein/low carbs, I guess I needed some sugestions as I dont want to do something I am not suppose to.

Tiffy as you I dont have any other co-morbidities and my bmi is 43. I had been doing special K Cereal, salads, fish and fruits and drinking Water.< /p>

I am going to take a look at those books that you had both mentioned.

Once again thank you...

I got my firm surgery date today of March 8th, so I am one week after you.

I also started low carb today so if you started today how did you do?

I have done low carb quite a bit and usually the third day is the hardest as you go through carb withdrawals, but if you can hold on and make it through that you got it made.

So far so good, but I had a terrible headache from the carb withdrawals. I feel better now, but I know I always feel better after the third day so looking forward to Thursday.

How did you do today?

Just bumping to see how you're doing? You only have a week to your surgery. How Exciting.

I am plugging along with low carb, but I am very hungry. I don't think it is real hunger, but just boredom from eating the same foods over and over and no sweets.

Hi...my surgery is scheduled for March 9th. I am new here...so still trying to read through posts. Just ordered some Protein supplements. Not really a fan of any Protein Drinks so I ordered quite a few samples. I'm going to be busy sampling over the next couple of weeks.:thumbup1: My big goal over the next few weeks is to cut out the large quantity of diet coke I consume everyday.:biggrin0:

I am getting exited, in my case is more than i am bored of eating the same stuff, but the hardest thing to leave had been my daily pepsie. I have to admitt I had been tempted but I had behave. I actually been using the carnation sugar free Protein shake and I have to tell you is pretty good, I usually add some ice and make it into a smoothie

How are ya doing?

I ordered a bunch of the protien samples last night and I think I am going to go to Vitamin shop today to see what they have.

There is a thread posted over in the diet and nutrition section that has a pdf of one doctors instructions for eating post op. I found it very informative since I don't see the nutritionist until this Friday and wanted to get ready.

Hi,

I"m new to the forum also. My surgery date is March 19,2010 with Dr. W. Baker in Dallas. Im so excited. I"m glad to do this for my self and son. It will be exciting to monitor each others progress and to be here for support. Congratulations on all March 2010 surgery dates and God Bless!!!!!!

My surgery is scheduled for March 24th. It will be nice to keep track of eachother's progress. My doctor's office has all their WLS patients do a 2 week pre-op of Protein Shakes, salads and fruits and vegetables. I have really been dreading this. I start this on March 10th. I have been doing pretty good but the idea of Protein shakes for 2 weeks seems hard. Guess I will have to get used to how I will be having to eat afterwords. I know I can do it. :-)