Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post op and still feeling bad

I have been home now for a couple days and it hurts everytime I do anything. I drink Water or anything and I get a gut renching pain that comes in waves. I attempted to have sugar free Jello yesterday which was horride. I won't try that again for a long time. Is this normal? Does everyone get these pains? I feel everything I put in go down and through my stomach.

Please advise.

Amy I feel for you but can not be certain as to the nature and/or origin of your pain, it could be something that will soon pass... but my advise is to go very slow and perhaps try warm Clear Liquids like a Decaf herbal tea and clear broth. I would also suggest you call whichever help staff your provided with from Dr. Aceves. From reading posts of others who have used him if I'm not mistaken there is a nurse or someone you can call if you experience complications. Be strong and patient but be sure to reach out for help as you are doing right now. Others will surely come forth with additional advise so hang in there.

I had my sleeve the same day as you. I don't have pain on my liquids but I can feel it. I have to push myself to "eat" since I'm not hungry at all.

My incision pains have turned to soreness instead of pain.

If you are in pain, you should call your surgeon. Let us know how you are doing.

It will go away soon!!!! Let your new and tinyl tummy heal and become less rigid.

Believe me it will change.

Excuse my broken english please.

Hey there AmyJ,

I was a couple of doors down from you when you came in - had my sleeve 1/25. You were pretty busy when we were getting ready to leave so you probably don't remember us. :thumbup: Your husband Joe had dinner with my hub and the rest of the companions as I recall, however.

Anyway, I think you should get in touch with Aceves right away. I know everyone heals and progresses differently but it seems like you are wayyy too uncomfortable. The pressure and "weirdness" of feeling everything go down I think is normal, I sure as heck feel that but I'm definitely not suffering. SF Jello is one thing I look very much forward to, for whatever that's worth. I'm kinda with Mini-me, just a little bit of soreness remaining. I haven't taken any pain meds since I left Mexicali and, as of today, I can lay on my stomach - yay - because I sleep that way.

How do you feel moving around? Walking and functioning? Is that also very painful? I don't think it should be and I hope not. I cornered myself into going back to school on the 30th (surg 1/25) and work on the 1st. It's been fine.

Let me know how you are. Call Aceves and/or Gaby - you should have received a follow up e-mail from her by now. I did and wrote her back right away with questions. She responded immediately, even through the weekend.

Good Luck!!!!!!

Carol

So I called the office, they were very helpful. They said what I am feeling is typical. I need to drink warm liquids rather than the cold stuff I have been drinking. Also, they recommended I get Pepcid or Prilosec instead of Nexium. I'm glad I didn't buy a lot in Mexicali. I forgot to get some at the store today, so I have to go in the morning.

Keys Pirate,

Joe and I remember you guys :thumbup: congrats on being able to sleep comfortably. I look forward to that day. I can sleep on my side a little bit. I hope it gets better soon.

So I went shopping for some Prilosec or Pepcid. I read all the labels carefully and most of the pills were encteric coated which means "do not crush". I found the Pepcid Complete is chewable, so I bought some. I bought the berry flavored one. I chewed it and it disolved with no problems. It did not come back up. I have been tring warmer drinks with better results. I only had a couple of those pains. I have been lightheaded most of this afternoon, but thats probally due to not having food; go figure. I have to work on Friday, Saturday and Sunday wholey will I be alright. I sure hope so. Well I will post more later.

Hey Amy,

Good to hear you're feeling at least a little better. It's a bummer to hear that these symptoms are "normal" for some. We sure weren't warned ahead of time! Anyway, just take it easy on yourself and your new tumm and you'll be feeling great before you know it. Once you find what works and what stays down, start concentrating on getting Protein in. I found that powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored really does go well in broth and tea. Crystal Light too. I have also found Protein Shots - the good ones from the Vitamin Shoppe - work well for me and they have 42g in them. The cheaper ones from CVS were horrific on the other hand. Oh, Unjury chicken Protein broth is quite good too.

Best to you!

Carol

Best to you.

Hi Amy, I was sleeved this past Monday 2/1 and I feel your pain. I also had a hiatal hernia repair at the same time and so far only warm liquids will do. I actually like hot Water, weird I know! THe cold made me have waves of spasms that were terrible. GLad you are feeling better and trying warm drinks. THey should help soothe your new belly :smile: Good luck!

Lou

You said you were kind of woozy feeling - are you taking Vitamins? I take 2 chewable multis a day, along with a sublingual B12 for energy. I also agree about the warm fluids. I'm a "tea-aholic" and drink warm tea all the time. It definately feels nice going down and is very soothing.

AmyJ,

Hope you are feeling better. You have lost 21# :thumbup1:? !!!!! Hang in there!

TexasT,

OK have to ask; I too am a tea-alcoholic( just regular Lipton no fancy stuff for me)! Did you switch to Decaf? ?:smile: I am weaning myself off of regular and miss my caffeine. Besides sugar it is the only "vice", if can call it that, I have left.

How did the port removal go? I have a realize port and am concerned because it is attached with surgical clips not sutured in place. Getting my unfill next week, concerned I will gain too much weight back. already up 5 # my jeans are getting tight!!! :scared0: No way going to buy a bigger size...

D.

Hi Amy,

I am sorry you have had such a rough go of it. I had my sleeve done on Jan 4 at Kaiser West LA with Dr Kim. When I went home the next day, I did feel horrible. The ride home was gnarly. But the next day I felt so much better. They had given me some liquid pain med when I left the hospital which I did take for a few days but after that I didn't feel I needed it. And believe me, I am a BIG GIANT BABY. (Ask my room mates). They also sent me home with a multi-vit, B12, b1, and a prescription Prilosec that come in capsule form. So I just take them apart and take that one. I had a one week post appt to make sure my healing and labs all looked good. I was sent home with a nutritionist and lists of what to eat when. And a 24 hour line to call if I had any issues or questions. I did feel sort of uncomfortable for the first week or two. A lot of gas issues, (which he hospital sent me home with pills for that too). Now I am a month out. I am starting to feel a lot better. I know you will too. It takes time but you will get there!

Stacey

D. asked: TexasT,

OK have to ask; I too am a tea-alcoholic( just regular Lipton no fancy stuff for me)! Did you switch to Decaf? ?:smile: I am weaning myself off of regular and miss my caffeine. Besides sugar it is the only "vice", if can call it that, I have left.

How did the port removal go? I have a realize port and am concerned because it is attached with surgical clips not sutured in place. Getting my unfill next week, concerned I will gain too much weight back. already up 5 # my jeans are getting tight!!! :thumbup1: No way going to buy a bigger size...

D.

OK - I'll fess up. I did decaf the first week after surgery, then went back to my normal tea. I love Constant Comment, Earl Grey, and Lady Grey - which all taste better with a touch of sugar. So I put in just a little. I get Migraines from artificial sweeteners, so I forgo them. I'm still losing weight at a steady pace, so I'm not worrying about it. I can taste a difference in decaf vs. caffeine, so I prefer the taste with it. I haven't had any problems so far. I do drink decaf or herbal teas at night, but after drinking a big Protein drink, I don't have much room for tea.

As for your question regarding port removal, you should see my thread titled "Hematoma Hell" for the answer to that question. :scared0: They put those ports in to stay, so taking them out really messes your insides up. Mine was sutured and had clips - it wasn't going anywhere!

Good luck with the unfill. I had mine just 10 days pre-op so I didn't have much time to gain any back. With the band, your stomach has shrunk already, and I found that I still couldn't eat a whole lot with an unfill. But it was nice to eat salads, which I couldn't eat with the band. Plus they were very filling. Starting on some Protein drinks now will also help you feel full.