Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG at "low" BMI?

Hi, everybody! This is my first post on this forum. I started out looking at the lap band, but I'm pretty well convinced that the sleeve is a much better option due to no foreign body being placed in my body.

I've been a yo-yo dieter for 41 years (since I was 10) and my BMI is currently about 32-33 (5'2" and about 180 lbs fully clothed). It appears that most if not all the doctors in Mexico will do the sleeve on people this "small," and I also have an appointment with a local doctor who might consider it because I have hypertension and am self-pay.

Have any of you been sleeved at such a relatively low BMI? Anybody have any input on the advisability of the surgery for somebody my size? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to VST! I was considered "light weight," but my bmi was 39.6. I know I've read of people who had vsg at bmi's between 30-35, but cannot remember if they were revision surgeries or not. I believe most have gone to surgeons in Mexico though...wish I had specifics to give to you. Good luck on your journey! I also started looking at the band first and so glad I discovered the sleeve.

My starting BMI was 33.3, and I was able to get approved by several doctors in Mexico. I did not try anyone locally because I also wanted someone who had done several surgeries.

I believe my BMI is 'low' because I exercised furiously and watched what I ate even before the sleeve. But I do have several food issues (emotional eater), and I am predisposed to be a lot heavier. Both sides of my family hav morbid obesity. My father's sisters all died in their 30s and 40s from comorbidities. The last one passed away in December at 46- she had lived to be the oldest. She is who prompted me to take some steps before it is too late.

I was sleeved New Year's Eve with a 33 BMI. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and type 1 diabetes.

I am now BMI 29.6! No longer obese! I have had some complications (thrush and a bad UTI) but I wouldn't undo it. My nut figures I will be able to eat pretty much whatever I want and still get to goal.

I think this is a great surgery for a low BMI person, since it is purely restrictive - no rerouting the plumbing.

I feel sure I could have lost the weight I wanted to with effort, but I feel sure I would gain it back over time. I believe the sleeve will keep me from letting that happen.

Good luck with your decision - let me know if I can help!

Ren?

I had a relatively low BMI I have a lapband because I didn't want to remove a body part. Now almost 10 months later I hate the lap band. (food getting stuck, not being able to eat chicken, meat....having to chew my food to a pulp) But I did lose weight! I am doing a revision to a sleeve. It is a hard choice. Best of luck on your decision!

D.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I was approved by Dr. Aceves so I may well end up going to Mexico to be sleeved in March. I will make up my mind after I meet with my local surgeon next Friday.

Rene, I'm like you -- I can lose the weight if I make a career out of it, but I've never been able to keep it off and I'm afraid I'll just get bigger and bigger over time without the surgery.

The very few people I've told think I'm out of my mind, but I am feeling confident this is going to be a great choice for me.

Glad you made your decision. Let us know what the local surgeon thinks. I have told all the people that I am going to. (total of 6) I get the "you have lost weight before" "You're not that big" I totally relate to be a professional dieter! I choose Dr. Aceves because of his experience. I think I could have possibly gotten it done locally but I am having a revision and I want a surgeon who has done revisions. I am spending a lot of money. I plan on retiring from dieting and starting a second career...

Good luck to you. Keep us informed.

I also had a BMI in the low 30"s and had the sleeve. I am now 6 lbs from goal and never once regretted what I did! I had my surgery in Mexico.

Hey, since y'all were low bmi what were your weight losses?? How long has it taken y'all? Were there lots of stalls? Who did u go to? Keep up the good work!

I was sleeved last Wednesday with a low "BMI" (~32-33) as well. My surgeon kept calling me skinny. I loved it! No one has ever called me skinny my entire life. I didn't have any other issues other than a family history of morbid obesity and diabetes. My blood sugar is normal but has been going up with time. My cholesterol has always been good, but my triglycerides took a huge upswing just as I was going through pre-op labs.

I also think this is good for low weights - the restriction and hormone changes are perfect for us. I am great as loosing 70 pounds - over and over and over again. I'm just not good at maintaining. This is my tool that I am going to use for my success.

Since I'm 4 days post op today, I can't promise this will continue, but I am truly not hungry. I have to keep watching the clock to see when it's time to have a shake or Jello again. I LOVE IT!!!!!!

My wife was the same height and weight as you. She had lost about 40lbs on her own, then had the surgery with Dr. Aceves, as she decided not to go through another yo yo cycle again.

She is now 145, and extremely happy. Life was a daily battle with food and not gaining weight. Now she just needs to make sure she gets in enough Protein each day, and not eat too fast.

She is planning on losing another 10lbs and then just maintaining.

For all you lightweights who have lost the weight- has the skin sagging been a big problem? Are there any preventative measures you took?

A little bit, but not enough to need plastic surgery or anything. It just takes a lot of time for your sking to tighten back up.

I am also 5ft 2in and weigh 180. My surgery is scheduled feb 23 with Dr Pleatman in Michigan. I cannot find anyone who has had the surgery with a BMI under 32

I really think this depends on your age as well as how much weight you lose. I'm not a spring chick anymore, so yeah, after losing 83 pounds there is sagging skin. Not attractive to me. I plan to have cosmetic surgery once I get to goal, skin tightening up by then or not. I don't have a lot of time to wait it out and see what my body ends up doing (at least in my mind, I don't have time, and I'm the impatient sort) so the nip/tuck is definitely in my future. To each their own.:biggrin2:

For all you lightweights who have lost the weight- has the skin sagging been a big problem? Are there any preventative measures you took?