Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

did you know....

...that there is a higher risk factor for adenocarcinoma (cancer) in the stomach,if part of your stomach is removed for any reason?

i just read this and it scared me.

Stomach (Gastric) Cancer | Health | Patient UK
go to (What causes.....)

btw.
it seems this information is well known, (google)
why isn't this written in every pro vs con list?

------------------------------
still pre-op

That is interesting. I had to see an oncologist before my revision due to a clotting disorder. He advised me that by having this surgery I was actually reducing my chances of cancer by a certain percentage (I can't remember the %).

I'd be interested in further studies because in all of my research on partial gastrectomies I never stumbled upon one case of adenocarcinoma.

I looked this up through the mayo Clinic, and gastrectomies are not listed as a cause or risk factor for developing gastric cancer.

Stomach cancer: Risk factors - MayoClinic.com

Webmd.com also does not list gastrectomy as a risk factor or cause:

Stomach Cancer - Gastric Cancer Symptoms, Treatments, Causes, and Diagnosis

Here's an article/study from webmd.com that discusses the increased risk factors of being obese and developing cancer. Looks like the risk from being fat and developing some type of cancer is higher if we remain fat vs. having surgery to help us achieve a healthy weight.

Overweight, Obesity Linked to Cancers

I read the article that you are "quoting". There is no research document that I can see attached to that statement, so until I see one, it is just one person's opinion. If you can find the research I'll be glad to read it. Always go to the source, the research.

People believed for a long time that the earth was flat, because someone said so. Gotta see the "proof" before I will believe that having a partial gastrectomy increases cancer risk.

...that there is a higher risk factor for adenocarcinoma (cancer) in the stomach,if part of your stomach is removed for any reason?

i just read this and it scared me.

Stomach (Gastric) Cancer | Health | Patient UK
go to (What causes.....)

btw.
it seems this information is well known, (google)
why isn't this written in every pro vs con list? confused1.gif

------------------------------
still pre-op

It appears that there are other links and source references posted at the conclusion of the article. I have not read them because I being post surgery, am not in a strong emotional state to handle anything that could add to the fear I am already grappling with. That said thank you for the post and continue to do your research.

I looked at the sources referenced at the bottom of the website. Of four, two of them mention the increased risk after having a gastrectomy. Here they are directly:

http://www.sign.ac.uk/pdf/sign87.pdf (on page 9)

Gastric Cancer: eMedicine Oncology (at the bottom)

Thanks for bringing this up, tdriver. I hadn't known that before. Though I suppose it's too late now...oh well. I'd rather be healthy at least for awhile!

i heard this from med students,last year,but i ignored it......and completle forgot about it until today when i read it........damn they were right.

too bad there aren't any numbers.

here a couple more.

Gastric Cancer, El Salvador Atlas of Gastrointestinal Video Endoscopy

(under 6th pic)

Surgical-tutor.org.uk - a free online surgical resource

It appears that there are other links and source references posted at the conclusion of the article. I have not read them because I being post surgery, am not in a strong emotional state to handle anything that could add to the fear I am already grappling with. That said thank you for the post and continue to do your research.

I agree with you, you would best stop reading ANY posts that have any negative content because in your state, you just get more anxious when reading them. Avoid the complications posts, just read the positive stuff. I have not seen ANY EVIDENCE (research, proof) that what that poster said about gastrectomies and adenocarcinoma is true, and believe me, I have read LOTS of research about the sleeve.

If I told you the earth was flat, would you become worried? Or would you laugh? I hope you would laugh, or at least smile. It would just be my statement. Who am I, not any expert on the shape of the earth. So don't believe what you read just because someone wrote it. It might also help you to get a book of positive affirmations and read them daily.

How about the dog suggestion I made earlier? What do you think about that?

It seems that if the gastrectomy was performed for benign ulcers or other benign stomach diseases is the common thread in all of the links provided.

If you have a healthy stomach lining which is where the adenocarcinoma forms, it appears that the risk is lower. All the patients observed developing some sort of cancer post-op, had other ulcerative or gastric issue prior to surgery.

NEJM -- Stomach cancer after partial gastrectomy for benign ulcer disease

SpringerLink - Journal Article

By the studies, abstracts, and other referenced material, they all report risk factor for developing gastric cancer to be less or slightly higher than 1%.

Meta-Analysis of the Risk of Gastric Stump Cancer: Detection of High Risk Patient Subsets for Stomach Cancer after Remote Partial Gastrectomy for Benign Conditions -- Tersmette et al. 50 (20): 6486 -- Cancer Research

Upon review of the listed articles, and other pages they all conclude that the cancer is due to the diseased tissue of the stomach from an ulcerative condition which changes the mucosa of the stomach lining. Also, smoking, dietary choices, and different social behaviors contribute to these factors.

None of the studies are based on healthy stomach resectioning, or partial gastrectomies without any history of benign ulcers. Most of the articles state specifically that the ulcerative condition changes and can cause cancer even after the gastrectomies.

While, I find it interesting, I am not sure that the risk is anything that I would put on my "con" list for having the VSG performed.

What Tiffykins said makes sense about stomachs with history of ulcers being more likely to develop cancer.

I guess I look at it this way, whether or not getting a sleeve is a risk of gastric cancer (not saying it is)...the link between obesity and cancer (among all the other health problems caused by obesity) far outweighs that tiny risk anyway. There is plenty of info out there on how obesity can contribute to certain types of cancer (including colon cancer which is one of the deadliest forms), as well as increased risk for things like diabetes and heart disease (both of which run in my family and were sufficient motivation for me to lose the weight before I develop them) which reassures me that I made the right choice no matter what.

Midwestgirl:

i too think the benefits outweights the risks.

Tiffykins:

good findings with numbers.

and you are right,

None of the studies are based on a healthy stomach.

so the risk should be less than 1% then.

...still i'd like to see this next to the mortality rate after vsg surgery.

Well if that ever happens to me, at least i'll die thin and won't need 100 pallbears to carry my coffin down the aisle . . . thanks for the info

It seems that if the gastrectomy was performed for benign ulcers or other benign stomach diseases is the common thread in all of the links provided.

If you have a healthy stomach lining which is where the adenocarcinoma forms, it appears that the risk is lower. All the patients observed developing some sort of cancer post-op, had other ulcerative or gastric issue prior to surgery.

NEJM -- Stomach cancer after partial gastrectomy for benign ulcer disease

By the studies, abstracts, and other referenced material, they all report risk factor for developing gastric cancer to be less or slightly higher than 1%.

Meta-Analysis of the Risk of Gastric Stump Cancer: Detection of High Risk Patient Subsets for Stomach Cancer after Remote Partial Gastrectomy for Benign Conditions -- Tersmette et al. 50 (20): 6486 -- Cancer Research

Upon review of the listed articles, and other pages they all conclude that the cancer is due to the diseased tissue of the stomach from an ulcerative condition which changes the mucosa of the stomach lining. Also, smoking, dietary choices, and different social behaviors contribute to these factors.

None of the studies are based on healthy stomach resectioning, or partial gastrectomies without any history of benign ulcers. Most of the articles state specifically that the ulcerative condition changes and can cause cancer even after the gastrectomies.

While, I find it interesting, I am not sure that the risk is anything that I would put on my "con" list for having the VSG performed.

I agree with Tiff. I read a lot of research articles today and the major risk factors mentioned are:

cigarette smoking

high body mass index

helobacter pylori

gastric ulcers

alcohol

frequent red meat intake, especially bbq well done

retinol intake

hiatal hernia

I figure my risk has gone way down due to this surgery because I'll lose the obesity, my hiatal hernia was repaired during the VSG, and I don't have the other risk factors.

Yippee.

I agree with you, you would best stop reading ANY posts that have any negative content because in your state, you just get more anxious when reading them. Avoid the complications posts, just read the positive stuff. I have not seen ANY EVIDENCE (research, proof) that what that poster said about gastrectomies and adenocarcinoma is true, and believe me, I have read LOTS of research about the sleeve.

If I told you the earth was flat, would you become worried? Or would you laugh? I hope you would laugh, or at least smile. It would just be my statement. Who am I, not any expert on the shape of the earth. So don't believe what you read just because someone wrote it. It might also help you to get a book of positive affirmations and read them daily.

How about the dog suggestion I made earlier? What do you think about that?

You know at this point there is no turning back. I've got to live with my decision because it's done. Everything even valid research which may indicate increased risk of some sort of fatal problem won't change the fact that I have been "sleeved". I loved your idea of having a dog for a buddy but as I answered you in another thread I can't have dogs where I live. I've got 2 cats though and one of them thinks and acts more like a dog than a cat. I really do have to lift my head up breath deep and think positive and your suggestion of positive affirmations is lovely and likely to contribute to good health both mentally and physically. Thanks Cajun I'm so glad to have your input.

I agree with Tiff. I read a lot of research articles today and the major risk factors mentioned are:

cigarette smoking

high body mass index

helobacter pylori

gastric ulcers

alcohol

frequent red meat intake, especially bbq well done

retinol intake

hiatal hernia

I figure my risk has gone way down due to this surgery because I'll lose the obesity, my hiatal hernia was repaired during the VSG, and I don't have the other risk factors.

Yippee.

BTW, my recent labs showed helobacter pylori as positive (it was pre surgery and I had to go on an antibiotic regimen). I was told by my GI doctor that I will show positive for H Pylori for a lifetime and the only way to truly know if you have it or not is via a stool sample test. I followed up immediately and got that stool sample to the lab and it came back negative, thank God!