Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what can I use for pain relief for an injury

well...the horrid weather in the Midwest caught up with me. I was walking with my snowblower today and slipped on the icy road. As I fell, I could feel one leg going forward and the other twisting behind me. As I twisted and fell to the street, I could feel my right knee dislocate. (I know how it feels, it's happened three other times.) After the firefighters got me to my feet and into the house (I refused to go to the hospital because I have no insurance) I took some liquid Extra Strength Tylenol and started in with the ice packs. However, this is the worst it's ever been. I have a very large muscle or tendon tear on the inside of my right knee area. It's really swollen and extremely painful. I remember when it dislocated four years ago they gave me 3 shots of morphine in the ambulance, followed by dilaudid (sp) at the ER. None of that this time and the injury is definitely worse this time. I'm a bit over 3 weeks since my revision surgery....and needing to know what I can take for the pain and inflammation. I'm a Dr. Aceves Patient and I emailed Gaby to get their advice, but in the meantime I'd like to hear from any of the long time sleevers that can help. I have Vicodin here which has helped in the past when this happened, just not sure if I should take it.

Yes, if you have vicodan, take it. . to help ease the pain until you hear from the doctor. . I have taken darvocet in tablet form with my new sleeve (i'm 9 days out) and other then make you feel kinda full, it works. . . that is what i would do

Oh my Tracy I'm so sorry you are suffering like this. Can you call an ER and ask to speak to a nurse, explain your situation with the recent surgery and limitations on what you may take and maybe the nurse can inquire from a surgeon? I know I was able to take percoset for pain after my surgery for several days. Can you apply ice or heat for relief? Do you need to wrap your injured knee? I wish I were there to help you. I'll get back to you if I find any answers. The Tylenol is allowed but I guess it's not strong enough in this case.

When I went in to get my drain out, one week after surgery, the dr. told me I could take pills as long as the weren't larger than a tylenol capsule. Hope you feel better soon.

I'm using an ice pack on it. It looks like it could be a torn cruciate ligament. The ES Tylenol isn't touching the pain. I think it will be a long night...might have to sleep sitting up in the recliner..which I HATE. I can't imagine getting into bed. My neighbor girl brought over a walker for me to use.. (thank goodness for hardwood floors). It helps. I'm worried about taking the Vicodin because they make me a bit "loopy" about 20 minutes after I take one....that effect doesn't last long, but I'm worried about crushing it or cutting it up maybe intensifying that effect. Also wasn't sure if my little sleeved stomach could digest a Vicodin...lol

Tracy,

Do you live alone? Can anyone stay with you. I am so sorry this happened, what horrible timing and it does sound serious. Maybe you could take the pill with some applesauce or yogurt to protect your tummy. You are in my thoughts and a big hug. Darn this horrible weather!!

well I finally heard back from Gaby (Dr. Aceves assistant):She said definitely I can take Vicodin, just to be sure to buffer my stomach with Prilosec or something similar. I'm already taking Nexium mups 20 mg daily....so I'll continue with that and if it causes me stomach issues, I'll bump the Nexium up to 40 mg daily. I got through the night without Vicodin...but I know that moving around today is going to require it. I'm pretty sure this is more than a knee dislocation. I suspect it's an ACL or MCL tear, possibly both from the looks of it. I'll know more when I get to the doctor this afternoon. Thanks for all the advice and good wishes.

Ohhhhhhhh Tracy, how painful. I had a torn ACL repair in 94, and then tore the replacement in 98. Another surgery but they couldn't repair it because my right knee is boogared up as well.

I hope you get some relief soon, and some sort of news from the doctor this afternoon.

Tracy...ouchie!!! I sure hope the pain eases up and that it's not as serious as it could be. Hopefully the doctor will have some good news for you.