Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting to think about the sleev

Hi all, I was banded in TJ Mexico approx. 2 yrs ago. It went great for about 1 yr then started to have problems with severe pain, bloating etc... generally felt like I was going to die. Finally, after 2 stays in hosp., I had an endoscopy done with results showing severe erosion. I had the band removed June 25/09 in TJ. Not only was it eroding into my esophagus, but the tubing was burrowing its way into my small intestine. I recovered well, but now am gaining back the weight I lost (lost about 50) I think that I have gained about 20 back.

The sleeve always seemed so radical to me, but now I'm starting to consider it as the better option. Anyone out there with some advice or info??? I am Canadian, so doing it here is not possible. I would have to go back to Mexico. Thanks in advance guys!

Mica,

there are a lot of us here in Saskatoon that have had the sleeve! Come to the support meeting at the Cosmo Civic center this coming Wednesday (6th) and learn all about us and where we all went (several places in MX) and see what you think!

We meet in one of the meeting rooms upstairs (up the long ramp!) and will start around 6:30 - should be a good sized group as so many of us are pretty new at the operation, pretty much all of us within the last 8 months! some really recently! So you can get a good idea of how it could be for you! Hope to see you there,

Donna

Hi Mica!

Welcome to VST!

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles with the band. It must be disheartening to go through with the surgery and then have complications later on.

I too initially thought the Sleeve sounded too invasive for me. But luckily, I found this site before I got banded and learned before hand what you and so many others have suffered through. All things considered, I think the sleeve is far less invasive (they go in once, remove a large majority of your stomach, you heal, you're on your way to a healthier life) - so much easier. If you're able, I would take Stoongal's advise and attend one of their support groups. You will learn a lot that can help you on this journey.

Hi Mica

I too had the band and it worked great for awhile, then bam I started having problems. I just had my revision done 6 days ago and already I love it!! I can actually drink without it coming back up. I tried some refried Beans and they went down great! The sleeve even tells you when to quit eating, I had 4 small bites and felt a little discomfort. I took one more bite and it turned into a little pain, BAM you know when to quit!! Get the sleeve and never look back!

Good luck to you!

Bernadette

I too I thinking hard about the sleeve. I had a band placed 4/09 and worked OK lost weight, now I keep getting food stuck, throwing up sliming, fill, littleunfill, fill, littleunfill I am sick of this thing.(I have yet to have it totally unfilled) Feel like I don't eat well, Do you still have to chew food so much that it is gross. I would just like to eat normal food in smaller amounts (That is what I THOUGHT the lapband would be like-I was wrong!) I only have about 20-25 more lbs to lose. Looking at TJ or Mexicali, how did you decide? What was the price? I am going to try and get the band out here in the States but then I worry that I will have to wait so long for the sleeve that I will gain too much weight back!

I have vacation time in march so I was thinking of setting up a date. but need to get the money together.

:confused1:

ADVICE?????

D.

hi, i highly recommend Dr. Alvarez from Mexicali, i got my sleeve surgery with him and everything has been fine. Haven?t had any complications. The staff was great and the hospital was in real good conditions, clean and professional staff as well.

Why don?t you give Nina a call, she?ll gladly give you much more information.

Call her -

Nina Eguia

Patient Coordinator, Dr Aceves

888 344 3916 toll free

nina_eguia@yahoo.com

That post above should say Dr. Aceves not Alverez.

Dr. Aceves is by far the most experienced sleeve surgeon in MX. Most of the people on this board have gone to him. Nobody has one word to say about him, the staff, and the hospital that isn't 100% wonderful! We all loved being there, and felt confident being in a hospital with an ICU and Dr. Aceves being an experienced trauma surgeon, as well as a bariatic surgeon.

Hi Stuck

You sound just like so many other bandster, we all start out loving the band and then it fails us.

I had my revision just 6 days ago but already I like it so much more. I can actually drink, not sip! I have tried a little bit of food, went right down. To me they are not even in the same boat, the band is always a job!

There are many great Dr's throughout Mexico, just do your research. I have been to my Dr twice now and he does a great job.

Why would you have the band taken out in the states if you don't mind me asking? As long as you don't have too much damage they will do it all at the same time. I would not want to do the surgeries separate, if you are going to be in there anyway , just get it done!!

Good luck on your decision.

Bernadette

I was thinking of having the band taken out here for cost reasons. Since I am having problems, my Tricare might pay for the removal, (have an appintment Monday) but I really doubt they would put a sleeve in since I was a "low" BMI and didn't qualify for surgery, why I went to mexicio in the first palce. No one seems to talk about cost? Seems only two Mexican MD's are mentioned here on this forum. I had my band placed by Dr. Ortiz in TJ (he did a great job it just isn't for me) I even see "'ads" for free airfare but I want to know someone who went to these MD's I am an RN so by nature I am skeptical (an ED RN by Hx at that!-I have seen surgery gone bad up close and personal-a sex change operation comes to mind....) Do Not want an infection!!!!!

I have gotten in touch with one MD only the corrdinator has e-mailed me cost w/band removal is 6300.00 this is The TJ group (she has yet to mention the MD name but her name is Patti Lissberger)

Did you fly to San Diego and then go to Mexicali (isn't that ~2 hours from SD?)

How much was you airfare? I too am from WA will fly fm SEATAC.

I really appreciate the wiilingness of everyone to answer questions.

Having the sleeve seems so radical! I know people who have had stomach stapling back in the day and it just stretched out again. Can't seem to find any info on this issue with the sleeve.

well that is enough out of me!!

Again thank you

and...

How are you doing?????

D.

I went to Dr. Aceves for my sleeve surgery, not a revision and the cost was $9500. I flew into San Diego and Ernesto the driver picks you up at the airport or if you stay at a hotel till the next day, they rec a hotel with a special rate which was very nice. (my flight got in too late to go on to Mexicali that first day). The drive is 1 1/2 hrs and then you have your pre-op tests done. On your pre op day you will meet with the anesthetist, Dr. Aceves and the nurses that will be working with you and there to answer all your questions, health issues etc. Then off to the very nice resort for dinner and sleeping pill to help you sleep. Next day picked up by Ernesto to go to the hospital for surg. You will stay there 3 days with the best care, responsive to anything you need for comfort, 3 leak tests and then sent home with meds/ Nexium, pain pills etc. and instructions. Very clean hospital, wonderful staff and the best is Dr. Aceves and his staff. I felt very cared for and safe. Everything included except your flight and the extra night at the hotel in San Diego if your flight comes in late. I am one of many on this site that has used him, not one bad experience reported. The last I heard he has done over 700 sleeves. Research very carefullly and there is a site here on picking your surgeon you might read. Good Luck

Linda

D

If you could get the band out here it would cost you less to have the sleeve done in TJ. But for $6300. it would be worth just doing it that way. Patti is one of my Dr's coordinators, so you would have my Dr. They just moved into their new hospital this week. I went to a temp hosp last week. I would recomend them highly. I have went to him twice and had great experience both times. So why don't you want to go back to your original surgeon? They will give you a special rate for the revision, at least mine did. Unless you did not like him.

Yes I flew into San Diego and then they picked me up at the airport. It is only about a 20 minute drive to Tijuana, that is where I went.

I went when airfare was expensive, it cost me $447 but I had no choice the band had to come out now! I just got an airfare alert and it is $139 roundtrip again. That is what I paid in March.

I don't think of the sleeve as being radical, I think of it as being practical. It makes you eat the amout you SHOULD be eating! WHich overeating is why all of us here!! I have progressed to mushies and it tells you when you are done, just a hint of pain in the chest are. I love that it monitors it for you. I can eat 4-5 bites right now and that is it!

I'm doing great, in fact I'm going back to work tomorrow! Don't know if I will make a whole day or not, time will tell.

Good luck with your decision,

Bernadette

Make sure you really research your mexican surgeon's complications, such as infections and leaks.