Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ive got a surgery date but.........

I made if for the second week in july. My dr had plenty of dates before that, what if i want to back out, (chicken). Did anyone else fell like backing out? I know everyone says they are glad to have it done, but what about before your surgery? anyone think twice

sarabluebell, I felt like backing out for many reasons; the two week Optifast prior to surgery was really tough for me, I was fighting off the last traces of a flu, and I was scared of the surgery, even though I'd had four previous surgeries which all went well. It was my wonderful husband who talked me through my cold feet stage. Once he read up on the proceedure and after our visit to the doctor, he was convinced the band would be a good option for me, and he was absolutely right. I was banded four weeks ago and I'm back to feeling 100%. I feel terrific and controlling what I eat has never been easier. So come on over and join us, if you can bring your surgery forward, do it, it will save you weeks of agonizing, just my suggestion.

Back out? Heck no... the time couldn't pass quick enough for me. I KNEW what was waiting for me and I could hardly wait to get started. Here I am, just shy of 5 months and 70 pounds later and I can honestly say I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Best of luck to you!

I was the same. I backed out of two initial consultations with one surgeon and didnt show for another. I kept changing my mind. But in the end I forced myself to at least go and see the surgeon and he was so not what I'd imagined and I also thought I wouldnt be approved, because I'd gleaned most of my info from here - but it isnt the same in Australia. He was open and honest with me, told me that he was happy to band people from BMI 30 because he strongly believed in the preventative benefits of the band, he was open about the risks etc. He made me feel I was the perfect candidate and said to me better to do it now than when you're 50 and have wasted another 12 years of your life just getting fatter. Once I made up my mind (pretty much instantly) it couldnt come fast enough.

I have a couple of friends who could really benefit, hugely obese girls that weigh twice what I did at least, and I really really have to hold my tongue. I so want to encourage them to think about it, but I dont want them to think I'm judging, calling them fat, etc.

Sara... I think it's natural to have second thoughts in regards to having surgery. My second thoughts were only on the actual day of surgery in the hospital and it was not about the band... it was just about surgery in general. Wishing you peace... and confidence in your decision to be banded.

It's natural to have second thoughts. I was supposed to have surgery over a year ago but am just now doing it (tommorrow.) The great thing is that I know 100% that I am ready now. I had a year to think about it and deal with the changes I will have to make in my life. I have no second thoughts now. Give yourself time to think on it if you aren't 100% sure. It's a serious step and you need to make sure that you want it. It'll still be there in a year, 5 years, 10 years.

Yep, but I knew that this was what it would take for me to get this weight off once and for all. Here it is less than 1 1/2months later and down 61lbs. It has not been easy, its work and well worth it, I to would do it again in a heartbeat. But the good part is I dont have to because this is just a new tool to help me win the battle. Good luck

I am with Photo Nut, once I finished my research and decided the band was for me, I couldn't wait for my date to get here. I was so excited, I couldn't think about anything else. I went to bed thinking about it, woke up thinking about it and thought about it all day.

I was the same as Susan and Photonut - the day couldn't come fast enough for me. It is natural to have some doubts and questions. One of the reasons that I opted for the band is because it is reversible, unlike the by-pass. So do keep that in mind :)

Sarah bluebell....I have done exactly the same thing. I spoke to the clinic and they made all my appointments in advance I could have booked a surgery date in late June but I thought it was too quick so my surgery date is 17th July.

On my first post i said the same thing....that i was soooo nervous and embaressed that I felt look backing out but since I've found this site i am becomming stronger every day and now I'm feeling excited about the surgery,still nervous, but excited.

Read as much as you can on here (you may wish to avoid some of the more negative comments) and I promise you will feel stronger every day.

good Luck Mate!

Sarah bluebell, take your time. It is a big decision that will change many things in your life for a long time. Eating habits change dramatically. Good changes and maybe some challenges. I was banded 5.2.06 and had immediate complications (band slipped, very rare to happen so soon after surgery) and I had a new band just 4 days later after being in the hospital for 5 days. I am about 3 weeks out post-op from the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> surgery and I'm not sure I'd do it again because of the surgery complications I had. I am very tired and not recovering as fast as some people, mostly due to the 2 surgeries, not necessarily the lap-band. (I think I'll get to where I'd choose to do it again, but I’m not there yet.) I researched obesity surgery for years and really hard for 3 months before I committed to the lap-band surgery. I am 55, morbidly obese but very healthy and active. The only co-morbidity issue I have is joint pain. I saw all kinds of people who had so many health issues and with much more weight to lose than me breeze thru the surgery and were very happy with their lap-band. I figured I breeze thru surgery too. It didn't happen that way. What I'd have liked for someone to say to me is that there is a wide range of experiences. Most people have no problems and a few have a lot. A person can do everything right and still have complications, I did. I asked nearly 50 lapbanders at support meetings if they'd do it again and ALL said yes. (The people who wouldn't probably have a lap band again aren’t at the meetings or on these boards.) I believe the people who wouldn’t do it again are the minority. This is my experience: They say you are back to work in a week, but I didn't hear anything about feeling tired a lot right after surgery. I heard what I wanted to hear, all those people saying how much energy they had. Somehow in my narrow vision I thought it would be immediate. I think the energy comes much later, after having a good weight loss. I figured I’d be back to normal in 2 weeks, max. Now I’ve heard that it can take up to 12 weeks after surgery to feel back to normal again, 4 weeks is more of an average. I felt pretty good before surgery, I just want to feel that way again. I think it will come in time. The good news is I am not hungry and I have lost 20 pounds total but I didn’t eat for 5 days in the hospital, (IV only) and I’d lost 6 pounds before surgery. So, take your time. Be sure it is what you want. My suggestoin is to talk to as many people as you can about their experience. And find some people who had some problems so you can consider that too. You will probably be one of the lucky ones and breeze thru it all. If I had to do it again, I’d have talked to more people about the possible complications of the surgery and complications after with fills and slippage and consider that it could happen to me and consider "am I prepared and willing to accept those risks". Yes, you can have it removed, but that is another surgery.

I know how you feel Sara. I am scared too. As each day passes, I worry about things... and want to cheat on my pre-op diet.... and want to cancel the whole thing.

But then I come here and remember that this is my last hope. I am unable to take care of the weight myself, so I must get help.

I am doing this for my own good. For my quality of life. For my family.

I am sure you have many reasons too. Yes we are scared... and we will have some pain/discomfort, but I bet that first 50 lbs down will make it all worthwhile.

When is your date? Mine is June 5th. Just thinking about it makes me scared, guess I need to read more threads. Maybe I will start with the before and after pics. You should check those out too. Good luck!

back out ???? no way......

I couldnt get a date that was soon enough for me. after all the months I waited for the seminar, the evals, the whole process, once I was okayed. I wanted the band NOW !!

my whole process took at total of about 5 months.

I was determined to have this surgery almost from the moment I first heard about it. Even so, when I actually scheduled the date, all of a sudden it was REAL. As soon as I got ins. approval, they wanted to do the surgery the next week. The next few days I had quite a few moments of "Oh dear Lord, what am I doing?"

Actually, because my PCP couldn't see me for 5 weeks after my insurance approval, I had over a month to think about this surgery. It was a very emotional time. I was afraid, then I was giddy, then I was serene, and for the last week or so, I was really sad. I was initially angry when I found out I'd have to wait so long. Now that I am on the other side, I'm actually glad that I had that time to get used to the idea. I was surprised to discover that after living <b>without</b> hope for such a long time, it was difficult to learn how to live <b>with</b> hope. It was difficult to process the fact that for once the odds would be in my favor - that I was more likely to get hit by a flaming meteor than NOT lose weight.

This whole process is a real head trip. Hang in there. Just think about what's on the other side!