Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please tell me this is normal.....I'm scared

It has been almost 2 weeks, since I had surgery, and I'm feeling something like a little hard ball under my skin, on one of the incisions, it is not in port area, even though that one is a little hard too, does not have any color, and it hurts only if I put pressure on it, but it itches a little. I wrote an email to my Doctor's office and they keep telling me that it is gona go away, just put ice on it, but days go by, (I notice this 3 days ago) and I don't see any better. Did this happen to anybody? please help! I'm a little concern.

Thankyou

Letty

Letty,

I have some hard bumpy areas under some of my incisions -I am 3 weeks post-op. I think it is just scar tissue developing and part of the healing process.

If it continues to worry you, go see your doctor or even your primary care doc.

Good luck.

Thank you Linda, with that information I think I'll give it a week or too, maybe that's what it is. Now, are you doing the ice too?

Hey Letty,

My incisions don't bother me too much. A couple of them are a little sore if I press on them with a good amount of pressure. If it is scar tissue developing, you might be better off with cocoabutter lotion or Vitamin E. I have heard those things help with scaring.

I havn't checked it recently, but there is a scar thread that might give you more information. I think I recall others who had bumpy scars as well. A lot of people post their pictures so you can compare.

Ok, Linda, thanks again for your advice, I will put some Vitamin E tonight and see what happens, the only thing is, that the little ball I'm talking about, you can not see it, is something underneath the skin, it actually moves, I feel like inserting a needle in there to see what comes out, but I won't do that.

Blessings

Letty

Ok, that's not what I have. My little bumps don't move! Maybe it is part of your port or the tubing? I would call my doctor and make an appointment. It isn't worth worrying for days over when one look by your surgeon can determine if it is something to worry about. Try the ice like they said and if it isn't better soon, go see your doc.

Good luck.

OOooooooohhh noooo, this is what i was afraid to read, My doctor is in Mexico, I'm gona have to check with somebody else here.

Thanks again.

go to your primary car doc. Or go to an ER if you're really worried. They have to see you. That might be a little pricey though. Maybe call your doc and describe exactly what you feel. They might be able to advise you better.

Good luck and keep me posted. You can PM me if you like.

I'm off to bed now!

It's not near your port? It might be a small hematoma. To the best of my knowledge, those can go away, or the doctor can drain them. I'm just going off of what I think I've read though. You might call your regular doctor. Even if they don't know much about the band, I would think they could deal with a hematoma.

When I started getting brave enough to feel around my tummy I found a hardish kind of bump about the size of an old fashioned bottle cap. It was about 2 1/2 inches from my closest incision, actually the largest one. It is my port, my Dr is able to place it away from the entry incision so the scar isn't on top of the port for filling purposes. It can be pushed into the fatty and muscle area for quite a distance under the skin, so maybe this is what you have too?

Hello Letty!

It does sound like a small hematoma, especially if your doctor suggested that you put ice on it.

I had a hematoma once that took a couple months for it to totally disappear. Just keep an eye on it, but if it bothers you a lot, you might want to call your local doctor just for peace of mind :)

Take care!

Tricia

Hi Girls, as you can see I'm up really early, I had nightmares!!! Mary and Victoria, what you said, it sounds very close to what I have. My Doctor email me and said to keep doing the ice, because unless it is the size of and orange, does not need to be drain. My stomach look bad since the beginning, I had a lot of bruises and it was swollen, in fact I was very scared, because I had my surgery at the same time as my friend did, and hers did not look bad at all, but well, my body is very sensitive, I always get a big bruise even from a little shot.

I don't want to see my regular doctor here, She was not very optimistic with the idea of going to Mexico to have the surgery, however it was my decision and I did what I had to do, and I trust Doctor Rodriguez, the surgeon who performed my surgery, so I'm waiting for the information on the Doctor who is going to do the fills near my town, I guess it will be a better idea to see him, He is probably familiar with this kind of cases.

Girls, thank you so much for your help, I appreciated!

Tricia, is nice to see you here!

Blessings to all!

Letty, I was banded in MX too, and my PCP wasn't very optimistic about the band either. It was nice to see her a year later...she was really impressed with my wieght loss, and I'm a slow loser! But I understand your hesitation to call a doc who you feel doesn't really understand. Do what Dr Rod said and keep an eye on it. And run, don't walk, to your PCP is you have any redness, warmth, increased tenderness, swelling, or other sign of infection. It's probably fine, just watch it closely. Hang on. I'm betting it will slowly clear up! Congrats on your band!

Letty,

What your describing could be a hematoma, inflammation or infection. Watch for redness, heat or discharge - these things would indicate infection and should be treated immediately. The other things will go away but may take some time. Ice is great and just give it some time.

My mother in law had bypass surgery and where they took her vein from her leg was a large (orange sized) hematoma. She never complained of it being really sore but at her follow up visit they did drain a little of the Fluid off. It took almost a year for that knot to completely reabsorb.

I feel like what you're describing is inflammation from the surgery - especially if your body is sensitive. I've had a previous laparoscopic surgery and the small incisions had grape sized knots under them for quite some time - I'm guessing it was several months, but they went away very gradually.

So, if they're not bothering you with pain or signs of infection, just keep putting the ice on them and practice patience! Good luck!

Andy Liz

Good advice from good people. Do you feel a little better now Letty? I think things will be fine!