Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will my desire to drink water ever return?

Since my VSG, I have completely lost my desire to drink water! In order for me to get in enough Fluid daily I drink Vitamin Water, I seemed to have lost my taste for all but one flavor at that! I can not believe this, even apple juice which was all that appealed to me while in the hospital and for the first 2 weeks at home, no longer is tolerable. Has anyone else experienced a repulsion for plain water and if so did desire to drink water ever resume? Even after a workout and good sweat I still practically gag when I put water in my mouth.

I"m only 3 days out, and Water doesn't taste good to me anymore. I have a hard time getting down the broth too, I'm already tired of the taste. I'm drinking a fruit drink given to me by my Dr. I have 2 packages/evelopes a day with 8 oz. of water. I have 1 package of pudding with 5 oz. of water to make it runny. I also have 2 packages of chicken soup/broth daily also. This ads up to 72 grams of Protein. I'm just tired of eating the same thing for 3 days now. I added a SF popcycle tonight and the was a freshing change. I've tried to drink water but it tastes nasty to me. Warm things go down much better. Other wise I'm doing great. No heartburn or acid reflux. No vomiting, no pain, just soreness at the incisions. I'm walking, and moving around fine, even sleeping on my side. So far the hardest part is watching my family eat normally around me. And enduring the constant food comercials on TV. I can't wait to get out of the clear liquid stage and on to normal food. I know I have a way's to go yet, but I'm looking forward to eating normal food, just tiny bits of it. At this stage I do miss food. The taste more than anything.

I don't really enjoy plain Water anymore -- I enjoy sucking on ice cubes and letting the cold water trickle down my throat. When I drink water I add some flavoring to it. And I can't drink cold water - it still causes me spasms. I used to absolutely LOVE iced tea but hardly drink it at all anymore either. I guess my tastes for sweet things isn't the only thing that changed with surgery.

I"m only 3 days out, and Water doesn't taste good to me anymore. I have a hard time getting down the broth too, I'm already tired of the taste. I'm drinking a fruit drink given to me by my Dr. I have 2 packages/evelopes a day with 8 oz. of Water. I have 1 package of pudding with 5 oz. of water to make it runny. I also have 2 packages of chicken soup/broth daily also. This ads up to 72 grams of Protein. I'm just tired of eating the same thing for 3 days now. I added a SF popcycle tonight and the was a freshing change. I've tried to drink water but it tastes nasty to me. Warm things go down much better. Other wise I'm doing great. No heartburn or acid reflux. No vomiting, no pain, just soreness at the incisions. I'm walking, and moving around fine, even sleeping on my side. So far the hardest part is watching my family eat normally around me. And enduring the constant food comercials on TV. I can't wait to get out of the clear liquid stage and on to normal food. I know I have a way's to go yet, but I'm looking forward to eating normal food, just tiny bits of it. At this stage I do miss food. The taste more than anything.

Judy,

sounds like you are doing great. Clear liquids will be done soon and you will be able to have a more satisfying variety. I loved cream Soups in the full liquid stage. You can put any Soup in a blender, and make it totally particle-free...lots of different tastes to enjoy. Congratulations on sticking to the program...you will be so glad you did this once you are through the hard part and see the pounds falling off.

I had to get some Hawaiian punch sugar free packets ot mix in with Water for awhile. I hated the taste of Water, but now it's not a problem.

I have found that I like room temperature water better than ice cold water.

Oh Tiffy you always give me hope for the future! Thanks AGAIN!

I"m only 3 days out, and Water doesn't taste good to me anymore. I have a hard time getting down the broth too, I'm already tired of the taste. I'm drinking a fruit drink given to me by my Dr. I have 2 packages/evelopes a day with 8 oz. of Water. I have 1 package of pudding with 5 oz. of water to make it runny. I also have 2 packages of chicken soup/broth daily also. This ads up to 72 grams of Protein. I'm just tired of eating the same thing for 3 days now. I added a SF popcycle tonight and the was a freshing change. I've tried to drink water but it tastes nasty to me. Warm things go down much better. Other wise I'm doing great. No heartburn or acid reflux. No vomiting, no pain, just soreness at the incisions. I'm walking, and moving around fine, even sleeping on my side. So far the hardest part is watching my family eat normally around me. And enduring the constant food comercials on TV. I can't wait to get out of the clear liquid stage and on to normal food. I know I have a way's to go yet, but I'm looking forward to eating normal food, just tiny bits of it. At this stage I do miss food. The taste more than anything.

You are doing a great job at compensating in order to get in your water. I hope you will have it easy and pleasurable as you progress with your food plans. I too am so aware of how many television commercials there are for food and so many of them associate the food itself with love. It is so clear to me how advertising has played a monumental role in human obesity. Don't worry you may not be able to eat alot of it but you will be able to enjoy many of the foods that tasted so good to you prior to the surgery. Thanks for replying and sharing your experience thus far...

I can't drink just plain Water either! YUCK

I gotta add crystal lite to it!

I ws never one to drink alot ( except for beer:lol0: )

But now.... I always have a drink in my hand!

Only had one beer at 5 months out..... couldn't drink it all and it tasted like _____

( fill in the blank ) lol

Judy,

sounds like you are doing great. Clear liquids will be done soon and you will be able to have a more satisfying variety. I loved cream Soups in the full liquid stage. You can put any Soup in a blender, and make it totally particle-free...lots of different tastes to enjoy. Congratulations on sticking to the program...you will be so glad you did this once you are through the hard part and see the pounds falling off.

Thanks Cajun, I did try something a lady here told me about to help out with the bland clears. I got some oyster crackers and I suck on them until they disolve my mouth..(not many) that was GREAT. It got me through last night.

I drink Sobe Lifewater. Love it. My taste for plain Water has gone down the toilet. (grin)

Yes, I am the same way, used to love to drink plain Water, many glasses of it during the day, never drank any juices, pop or beverages with a lot of calories, believing that is was smarter NOT to drink my calories.

But now, plain water is ugh! I have a cup of black coffee in the am with my hubby and I do dilute my Crystal lite considerably and add a ton of ice and sip on it instead, so it is almost water but with some flavour. I have at least two 16 oz glasses of that ea day.

That and a tsp OXO chicken broth mix in a huge cup of boiling water am and pm gets me most of my fluids for the day. I am looking forward to the taste buds reverting so that water is enjoyable once again.

Weird how this surgery affects so many of us this way!

Cheers,

Donna

Yes, I am the same way, used to love to drink plain Water, many glasses of it during the day, never drank any juices, pop or beverages with a lot of calories, believing that is was smarter NOT to drink my calories.

But now, plain Water is ugh! I have a cup of black coffee in the am with my hubby and I do dilute my Crystal lite considerably and add a ton of ice and sip on it instead, so it is almost water but with some flavour. I have at least two 16 oz glasses of that ea day.

That and a tsp OXO chicken broth mix in a huge cup of boiling water am and pm gets me most of my fluids for the day. I am looking forward to the taste buds reverting so that water is enjoyable once again.

Weird how this surgery affects so many of us this way!

Cheers,

Donna

OXO chicken broth mix? Where can I find that? Thanks Donna.

The only thing I drink is Water. Once in awhile I drink propel. I drink at least 64 oz of Water per day. I never drink it cold. I like room temp water. The waitresses always look at me like I am nuts when I go out to eat and say water with no ice.

I would go crazy if I didn't drink all my water. I am always sipping water from the time I get up until I go to bed.

I seem to be the odd one.Everyone

else can't tolerate sweets anymore and I really love them and have to force myself to stay away from them.